stick with the 7mge?

Bootymeat

Banned
Nov 4, 2009
Bev Hills 90210
berniek;1473133 said:
My JDM 7MGTE has oil squirters and a fully counterweighted crankshaft. It was in good condition, with cross-hatching still visible on the cylinder walls. The beaings were fine and were re-used.

BernieK

Not to bash your option to re-use bearings. But at a cheap price, why not buy new ones?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
7M Supras in Japan never came in GE form, the early ones don't have the oil squirters.

Bearings aren't as cheap as you'd think. He'd have to buy the right select size bearings as determined by the markings on the engine, and those are only available from the dealer. The "standard" size bearings may work, but machine work is suggested.

Bootymeat

Banned
Nov 4, 2009
Bev Hills 90210
Poodles;1473235 said:
7M Supras in Japan never came in GE form, the early ones don't have the oil squirters.

Bearings aren't as cheap as you'd think. He'd have to buy the right select size bearings as determined by the markings on the engine, and those are only available from the dealer. The "standard" size bearings may work, but machine work is suggested.

True, but he also stated that the bearing we re-used. Meaning they were the right fitment like stock. You can buy factory sized bearing from an aftermarket for a cheap price. In my opinion whether or not it's still something I would do. Might as well get everything machined than have to worry about it later right?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bootymeat;1473833 said:
True, but he also stated that the bearing we re-used. Meaning they were the right fitment like stock. You can buy factory sized bearing from an aftermarket for a cheap price. In my opinion whether or not it's still something I would do. Might as well get everything machined than have to worry about it later right?

No, the aftermarket bearings are "standard" size and not the select fit that came on the engine originally.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
cuel;1473038 said:
There's some resistor differences between the GTE and GE tachs. You'd need the cluster from a turbo car, or change some resistors on the tach. There's a pic of what has to be changed floating around here...

Or you can just unplug/unscrew the tach board from a GTE tach and swap that whole assy. in. :)

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Moy;1473946 said:
OP: If you choose to do a 7m-gte swap, I have a pre-89 turbo manual ecu if you cannot find one locally

quick question how can i tell the diff between a turbo ecu and non turbo ecu?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

some pics of the engine. anything that is missing that you can see?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Poodles;1475453 said:
I see fasteners and small brackets and stuff missing, gonna be filling in the gaps a bit I think...

so should i not even bother hes asking 350 for it? or look for a different engine?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Also will i have to re wire the whole dash o.0? i was looking at someone elses thread and they had to do it? :aigo: