Status
Not open for further replies.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
240 was the hottest I've logged it as being, but who knows what it actually was inside.

Last edited:

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
During Powercruise I stirred up crap from the block and it blocked a good percentage of the radiator tubes. Shut it down for almost the entire last day to keep damage from being too bad. Flushed the cooling system out and watched like a hawk for bubbles but saw none. Its been running since then without an issue until last night when the heater core leaked. So I can't say if there was a small leak that gradually got worse or if i just decided to crack/fail last night.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
That's one thing we can always look forward to: when Steve's stuff goes wrong, we'll know what happened in gory detail in just a few days. :icon_bigg

Best of luck!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It might be Mike, depending on how much work needs to be done to my 91 head. Probably going to have it checked out for soundness and see if its annealed, then go nuts with it- p&p, maybe some cc shaping, a really really good valve lash adjustment, and a valve job. Slight possibility of valves, but that's crazy money there... I could drop a couple stacks on the head alone. I just like the idea of the originl head, block, and other stuff being on the car. Not sad to see the original trans go, though. It makes me angry when it grinds.

Pics of progress!
Old cometic MHG:
p1749278_1.jpg

Head between the cyls
p1749278_2.jpg

Block, between the cyls
p1749278_3.jpg

Happy to report no melted pistons or detonation pockmarks like I was worried about finding!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
if you're going to P&P the head, you may as well do larger valves as well. you already have cams IIRC. take advantage of the situation and get the best flow increases possible for what you're doing. :)

also, if you get a junk spare head to practice on, you can do the P&P yourself and save a few hundred bucks

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Chris- I might just do that. The 91 head needs a valve job anyways so might as well make it a killer >:D

Andy- the thought is that the head lifted. After that I don't trust the gasket to seal well enough. Also, see the 2nd picture- notice the uneven marks where the bead was supposed to seal- the surface of the block and head are far too rough for a MHG to seal well. Failure built into the engine before it even fired up. I've just been lucky that it's lasted this long.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
O crap. All the expansion from the heat made it lift? I would assume you were using ARP head studs and did a retorque.

The block was rough when you put the Head gasket down?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Stopper will happen, just trying to figure out if I can run a 1.2 or if I have to stay with a 2.0 again. Compression ratio will go up regardless because of the shaving that will happen.

Andy- I' not sure when they got loose, but 2 of the nuts were not tight, and the whole exhaust side was not at 90ft-lbs. I have guesses, but nothing provable. Yes the studs were installed correctly, and they were re-torqued 2 times. Once after 6-7 heat cycles, and another about a year/1000 miles after the engine got built.

Going to talk with the machinist today/tonight and see if he'll help me out- might add the main studs into the mix since I'm pushing the stockers' capabilities. Maybe billet main caps, too :?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Crap man. Is it a common problem on the 7M's for the bolts to run loose on the exhaust side? Devin just had the same problem.

I checked the head studs on my motor numerous times on the stand because of my OCD with that stuff. Plus I don't plan on boosting until break-in and retorque.

What's your opinion on the retorque? Loosen the bolt just a tad to break friction and then pull back to spec? Or just go over and check they are still at their torqued spec?

I am really iffy about any fluids getting under the gasket.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My best guess would be it getting hot at PC, but I can't back that up at all. Going to make it a bi-yearly thing to pop the covers off and give them a checking at least.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I broke the nut stiction loose one at a time, then re-torqued. I've already spoken to Ian about the matter, he was less than impressed at the surface finish on the block and head.

Status
Not open for further replies.