steering wheel feel

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
My n/a 88 had a great feel to the handling. Steering wheel feel was just right for tight twisty roads. Sold that car. Now I have a '90 turbo and the steering wheel is so easy to turn it just doesnt have the "feel" of the good handling machine it is. Anyone feel the same or deal with this at all.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Is it sloppy? It could be that your other car had a power steering pump that was on the way out and this car has a better one. I drove an MK3 where it was effortless to turn the steering but keep in mind, when you buy a car, you should go through the front suspension and check for any tie rods, bushings and ball joints that might need replacing.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Generally speaking, the opposite should be true, as the newer ones have a much more (computer-controlled) system, which reduces assist at higher speeds.

Perhaps something was wrong with your old one (not enough assist) or your new one (too much assist -- not being controlled properly)?

I would suggest seeing if anyone else in your area has a similar car (89+ with PPS), try driving it and see if it feels like yours.

Jeff

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
Thanks for the replies, doesn't feel sloppy, just really easy to turn. About to put new shock and lowering springs so i'lll check out the front end good then.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1770308 said:
Agreed - tires especially. Thin tires with hard compounds turn MUCH easier than fatties made from sticky rubber.

I used to have an 88 NA, ended up disconnecting the power steering pump because it leaked like a sieve. Topped it off, and disconnected the belt. Probably not the best for the steering system, but I rather liked the feel of it without power steering, at least with 225's up front. Makes it a lot easier to tell when you're hitting slick spots on the road and you're able to prepare for it.

However, on my 89 with 275 Nitto NT05's, I rather appreciate the power steering. Even with it, it has a solid feel to it. Can't imagine trying to turn this thing at slow speeds without a functioning PS...