starting/ running problem

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
I have now stumped every local around with this problem.....

The car started having some trouble starting, due to the neutral saftey wire at the bottom of the starter... the connector on the starter was almost snapped off..... put on a new starter.

The next week I the car started dying at random times, and would take several tries to start back up, then drive completely fine... before I could get it home it died, would not start, and had to have it towed home. Also, before it would die it would start bucking similar to the feeling of fuel cut.

I have changed/ checked: the CPS, the ignitor, the ECU, The TPS, mechanical timing, starter wires, battery, alternator, the grounds (by the fuse box and intake manifold), fuses..... I have fuel pressure, and an holding a voltage of 13.9 while cranking.

I didn't check the coils because I find it hard to believe all of them would fail at once...

Does anyone else have an idea of what I should check next? I am completely lost at this point.

thanks

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That was sarcasm. Optima, bottom of the barrell. Now he really has a reason to pick.

Moving along, What are the DTC's? (24 and 31?)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
He was referring to the fact that a 12v battery will put out just a hair over 12v with the car off. 13.9 volts would require the car to be running (ie the alternator spinning).
Typical cranking voltage is 9-10 volts.

Anyways. You say it started about a week after changing the starter.
Are there any codes present? (How to check for codes.)
Any loose vacuum lines around the intake side of the engine?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
DTC stands for diagnostic trouble codes. Usually people say DTC when they want to feel pompous and intelligent, instead of saying error codes or just codes. It's to be expected from some people.

:icon_razz

Last edited:

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
i would check the sensors by there, and those vsv valves that are for the vacuum, the one for the FPR and i believe the other for the EGR

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
whitemike;1558671 said:
All sounds like the issues I was having when my CPS was junk. When it doesn't start, did you try jiggling the cps wires?
yes, I traced the wires and changed the CPS, I know I am not getting any spark... just checked out the injectors with a oscilloscope and I am getting pulses, so I know I have fuel....

I'm not really sure where to go next since I have changed just about everything ign related.