Starter wire - Audio power (4 AWG) with ring terminal okay?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
'kay... So I am getting the "click," but no start deal. I have some new 4AWG audio-power cable and quality audio ring terminal on hand. I have a power distribution block in the engine bay (battery is in the hatch). I'm assuming the existing wire has got a good bit of corrosion inside (it's old as F). Can I replace it with this cable/connector and be fine? The starter is fairly new and was working fine before TX2K12. I just got the engine rebuilt/installed and it will start, if I jump it. Terminals/wire at battery is good and power is getting everywhere it should. Battery is tested and has full charge.

I am working on a gajillion other things, to get my house on the market and only have 1 shot at doing this today. So am asking, so that I don't have to try and do it again later (meaning maybe next week).

TIA,
E

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sure it's the power wire and not the signal wire?

Personally I would get some power cable or welding cable. Audio cable is made from different wire.

It will prolly work but no idea on the lasting of it. Also a 0-2 gauge is better.

I used 2 gauge from a Braille in the trunk. Signal wire needs to be replaced but just kept the relay mod on as I'm too lazy to mess with my car after work.
Without the relay it will click and after some sitting and more clicking it will start. Other times it will start right away. With relay starts perfect everytime tho it's not the really the best fix but it's also not really wrong just sort of a lazy fix.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Thanks... was assuming it'd be okay, but lookin' out for any potential issues with that wire in the engine bay (heat, etc). I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Started to rain, so did not get to it today.

Thanks again!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's all copper.

Audio wire is generally made from finer strands, which is supposed to reduce parasitic inductance and capacitance, but if you don't keep it sealed, it means that if it's exposed to oxygenated moisture it will degrade faster. The insulation that it comes with will be fine in the engine bay, the intake side of the block doesn't get hot enough to cause problems.

Keep it sealed, and it will be at least as good if not better than the stuff that it came with, but if you don't, well, it will last a few years at least.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd use some marine grade cable, its highly corrosion resistant. You can pick it up from most boating stores by the foot. I used it for my big 3 upgrade, no issues.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
...Soon as I get a chance, I was gonna replace the starter cable anyways, and re-do the gorund, just to make sure. I was jumping right from the battery, using a battery charger in the "jump start" setting.