Starter possibly?

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
I dropped another 7mgte in my 91 and its been sitting for a around six months now so I go to start it today after I bought a new battery tightened all the grounds (double checked) alt too, battery post clamps also and tried starting it and it made a almost click but more switch like sound from the inside it sounded like it came from the ecu area did it again same sound I'm guessing its the starter I put my head near the glove box and the noise is outside of the car engine area. Tomorrow I plan on putting it in gear and rocking it, and probably take out the starter to get it checked. If anybody has had a similar problem what was it or what could possibly be the worst problem I could run into, I am getting sick of this car I don't want to dump to much more into it I'd rather sell it and get at least half of what I have put into it

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Can you turn the engine over with a breaker bar? Do a voltage drop test. That means put one end of the test lead on the battery. Use the other end with a alligator clip jump wired and put it on the battery cable at the starter. Have a buddy turn the key to crank and see what the reading is. It should only say .1 V or so. If it says, say 8V you have a problem.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Could be starter, motor could be seized from sitting, your starter wires could be old and shorting out. There is a rather simple mod to fix the situation if that's your problem, search for it. I'm not saying search to be a dick, i've just been awake for way too long and i'm being lazy lol.

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
yea I was thinking the same its possible seized up from siting so long the motor doesn't crank but the weather was not so great today. I will try the easy stuff first before getting to deep into changing and taking apart stuff. I have been searching some stuff, hopefully I can finally get the bastard running before I get angry and get rid of it.
P.S. thanks for the info and advice

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like just the starter is frozen. Esp if it was sitting in the cold for a while. Bang on the solenoid with a hammer a few times and see if it starts. If it does i would still replace.

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
update I was bored, so I went outside got some sockets and my racket wrench and what do you know the crank turns easily. I banged om the solenoid and still nada but I think it is frozen after I banged on it the sound got a bit louder

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
or what if the starter is spinning but not with the teeth of the flywheel?

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

no then it wouldn't make that sound I got caught up reading another post and dumb ideas are popping up

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Then you wouldnt hear it in the pass kick panel and it would be more of a grinding sound or if it really was that bad a super spin whine sound on the drivers side. Which i have yet to see on any jz or 7m. Not a clicking sound every time you turn the key.

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
no then it wouldn't make that sound I got caught up reading another post and dumb ideas are popping up

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

yea that idea came from another thread. Not what is happening to me maybe its just because I'm tired and frustrated with the car I'm coming up with dumb ideas. I'm going to get a hair dryer and heat up the starter after I get some sleep.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I think this is what was happening to my car, I did do a lot of friggin around with my starter though, But from what I remember this was happening and I swapped starters and redid my main power wire, battery ground, added a ground cable for the starter and still no dice. It ended up being my ignition switch. Now how to figure out if it is that, unplug the small connection on the starter, attach one end of a test lead to this, turn the key to on, then touch the other end of your test lead to the battery, if it starts cranking your ignition switch or wiring is pooched. I just went the easy way and put a push button in, supraw slack

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Put the car in park, or neutral. Set the parking brake! (You could also raise the rear wheels off the ground for safety)Remove the battery cable and the signal wire from the starter. Touch the metal tip of your battery cable to the post where the signal wire goes. If the starter turns over, you have just found your problem. The starter relay is working, because you hear it in your kick panel. The starter is working, because you just heard it spin. Your problem is in your wiring.

If the starter doesn't spin with this test, you have also just found at least part of the problem. Nothing from the starter would tell you it is bad. This won't mean there is nothing wrong with the wiring. You'll find that out after replacing the bad starter.

EDIT FOR SAFETY! Be sure that you don't touch any other metal with the battery cable while doing this!

Last edited:

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
just did that test and its doing the exact same clink so its positive the starter is not working, One problem found more possibly to come sounds fun don't it.

smokey55

Jul 23, 2010
Omaha
Ok its cranking now but now I think my wirring is bad my relay seems to work since I hear it in my kick panel anybody want to point me to the thread to help me fix this issue. I can't seem to find it just a bunch of random threads come up