STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
After I completed one Time Attack event last weekend with the new castor settings ,I'm happy to report that as expected temp distribution is pretty much equal now (~20% improvement). In other words now I can remove some of my static camber to benefit from the change. The downside is that the additional steering wheel effort is much more than the 20% - I almost feel that I wont be able to do track sessions over 20 minutes becouse of the physical effort required to turn the steering wheel.

Other than that I broke my own Track record with 1 second ,broke the car track record with 0.2seconds (previously set by Kirk Wagner in TKO configuration of the Supra). I'm also quite happy with the fact that I was able to beat my direct competitor with Mitsubishi Evo - we were both running the same exact tires ,Nitto semi-slick that requres at least 180F degrees to operate and on single lap Time Attacks gets heated to only around 130F which simply means that the tires are quite cold. Here the results (This Ford Taurus that beat me looked like an ex car from NasCar with upgraded brakes)

http://www.mcscc.org/results/2012/ax/MC.AX.2012-09-15.Results.htm#AR

After this race ,there is also a pretty good chance that I may win the "A Race" (Class unlimited) championship:)

Last edited:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
that is awesome Alex, congrats! If you are beating Evos out there you obviously have that car of yours very well sorted :)

So its a tick of approval for 9 degrees castor then? Your car still have its power steering system doesn't it?

cheers
Simon

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spiller;1875966 said:
that is awesome Alex, congrats! If you are beating Evos out there you obviously have that car of yours very well sorted :)

So its a tick of approval for 9 degrees castor then? Your car still have its power steering system doesn't it?

cheers
Simon

PowerSteering system is in place ,I will try a few more events with 11+ castor becouse I want to have enough data to be sure that the 20 percent of castor improvement really equals to around the same ammount of improvement in tire distribution ,if that is the case high castor may be the single most important setting in the MA70 geometry setups.

Also have an idea to develop a duty control for the factory progressive power steering valve - it is currently disconnected so is fully closed - maybe 20% to 30% duty when i get tired will help.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
A few pics of the event where the car crashed:

BFRaug_100.jpg

Supra-in-woords.png

BFRaug_192.jpg

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
but if you need more grip at the front way you dont try an Splitter? the only thing is you will need to modify the rear wing angle with some washers to compensate.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
LordDigital;1876852 said:
PowerSteering system is in place ,I will try a few more events with 11+ castor becouse I want to have enough data to be sure that the 20 percent of castor improvement really equals to around the same ammount of improvement in tire distribution ,if that is the case high castor may be the single most important setting in the MA70 geometry setups.

Also have an idea to develop a duty control for the factory progressive power steering valve - it is currently disconnected so is fully closed - maybe 20% to 30% duty when i get tired will help.

Cool pics, but shit there are a lot of trees right near the edge of that racetrack :S

Where is the plug that disconnects the PPS? My steering is extremely light at lower speeds and obviously this is what PPS was designed for but I really dislike it. The controller would be helpful with that much castor though. I dont know much about the technicalities of PPS but I gather it backs it off to 10-20% above a certain speed?

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Simon, the PPS plug is a 2-pin plug that comes from the steering rack. The lead is about 400mm long from memory, so plug down under intake plumbing somewhere...

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Nice job Alex, getting closer to the 1:22's! Maybe you will see me out there next year, although I may try to never run with Council again...Still on the fence about it

spiller;1877020 said:
Cool pics, but shit there are a lot of trees right near the edge of that racetrack :S

Its really not that bad, except for a couple select areas (Brake zones) imo.

TheNothing

Jun 17, 2012
Columbus, Ohio USA
I'm so glad you're continually trying out different alignment settings and you're doing an awesome job with the build....Have you ever thought about running a v-mount with a tube front?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
josbeat;1876899 said:
but if you need more grip at the front way you dont try an Splitter? the only thing is you will need to modify the rear wing angle with some washers to compensate.

Car does not under-steer anymore ,it was temporary issue due to loose bolts in the LCA. A decent wing is on the agenda for possibly next year , I have not decided yet between ARP GTC500 ,g-Stream C800 or ARP CFD. CFD looks very promising for high horse power cars with ~1200lbf of downForce at 120MPH and 1650lbf at 160MPH ;) ,for either one of them I will need a massive front splitter which will be a major pain when loading and unloading the car...

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spiller;1877046 said:
not to take it too far OT, thanks Andrew, so does it unplug at the rack or under the intake?

I disconnected mine on the PS Rack side - wonder if someone knows what is the OEM control on this ,ON/OFF or duty controlled?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
supradjza80;1877055 said:
Nice job Alex, getting closer to the 1:22's! Maybe you will see me out there next year, although I may try to never run with Council again...Still on the fence about it.

It really is quite difficult to do time attacks with Nitto nt01 tires on the Council rules. Pyrometer readings are rarely reaching 140F after a "timed run" and the minimum operating temperature according to Nitto is 180F. This was the first time where I sensed any kind of competition because the EVO was running the same tires ,usually the competitors in AR are on A6 or similar tires with operating temp starting from 120F or so. I'm pretty sure that I can get better times with some decent street tire such as RS3 or StarSpecs ,but my ultimate goal is NASA and Council events are more like a "safe" test ground for the setup :) Are you positive that you don't want to try NASA next year? ;)

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
TheNothing;1877410 said:
I'm so glad you're continually trying out different alignment settings and you're doing an awesome job with the build....Have you ever thought about running a v-mount with a tube front?

Never consider v-mount ,heat is a major major issue at 500WHP levels even with PWR - I'm under the impression that V-mount is more like a "drifter setup" for lower speeds ,I don't know anyone else running this setup other than Apostolis on his crazy Drift MA70.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Actually the v-mount is more efficient at higher speeds and also improves downforce. Lower speeds is where the setup is lacking. I'm almost done with mine actually.

TheNothing

Jun 17, 2012
Columbus, Ohio USA
LordDigital;1877636 said:
Never consider v-mount ,heat is a major major issue at 500WHP levels even with PWR - I'm under the impression that V-mount is more like a "drifter setup" for lower speeds ,I don't know anyone else running this setup other than Apostolis on his crazy Drift MA70.

I was just curious because the construction of the new tube frame would be much lighter and depending on bracing even stronger. The shortened intercooler piping would help greatly in throttle response, and with direct airflow to the radiator coolining would become optimized. Not to mention the weight would be shifted further in on the car as close to the firewall as possible. The vent in the hood is already opened up for exiting air for the intercooler

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
LordDigital;1877633 said:
It really is quite difficult to do time attacks with Nitto nt01 tires on the Council rules. Pyrometer readings are rarely reaching 140F after a "timed run" and the minimum operating temperature according to Nitto is 180F. This was the first time where I sensed any kind of competition because the EVO was running the same tires ,usually the competitors in AR are on A6 or similar tires with operating temp starting from 120F or so. I'm pretty sure that I can get better times with some decent street tire such as RS3 or StarSpecs ,but my ultimate goal is NASA and Council events are more like a "safe" test ground for the setup :) Are you positive that you don't want to try NASA next year? ;)

I think you will likely see me at some NASA events next year. I am just not sure if I will be doing the TT stuff as I do not like completely open passing, and cannot write off my mk4.

Try some street tires out there, Maybe you will like them. I had a few friends running BFG R1's out there and they like them a lot for autox and track days. So you can maybe try those too.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
dslocal;1877801 said:
Actually the v-mount is more efficient at higher speeds and also improves downforce. Lower speeds is where the setup is lacking. I'm almost done with mine actually.

Thansk for the link ,looks like some major fab work to get a setup like that:) If I'm not able to avoid "unlimited class" placement in NASA ,I will consider implementing it.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
supradjza80;1877859 said:
I think you will likely see me at some NASA events next year. I am just not sure if I will be doing the TT stuff as I do not like completely open passing, and cannot write off my mk4.

Try some street tires out there, Maybe you will like them. I had a few friends running BFG R1's out there and they like them a lot for autox and track days. So you can maybe try those too.

If I'm serous about racing with the Council I will either get the new China Special Tire Warmers ($400) or some decent street tires. Since the introduction of Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 2007 ,I've purchased 3 sets for my supra and 2 for the CRX and always loved them ,but the maximum width of 255 was always a major limitation.

I hope that I will see you at some NASA events next year!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
^^^RS3's and NT05 are available in wider sizes. My car was only on 245/265 XS's, I didn't mind the setup. I would like to get some CCW C10/12's and run a 285/295 or maybe a 295/315 setup. We will see though.