STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Alex - Nice build thread. Just read through all of it. Impressive stuff.

I am also the driver of the mk4 that Alex saw at the resent time attack/autocross. You can see videos from the day in my youtube link in my sig. I think we both plan to attend more of these events this year so hopefully we will see more Supra domination!

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Thanks guys.

Track is around 70miles NW from chicago (1h 30min drive).

Iian ,I know that GroupA cars had PS issues ,mostly when they were running 11+ degrees of caster. John Smith was mentioned issues with hoses ,I guess that back in the days hoses were not as good as today? Another issue was probably the heat ,I know of no less than 4 different PS coolers that Toyota used on MA70 ,and for my build I got the latest design (from my 92 car) which is basically 2 radiators at 90 degrees rotation. I know that the JZ pumps are sensitive to heat ,but won't bother with the setup before the last one that I got new from Toyota dies.

Dave congrats again on the 5th place ,not only that it was out of 100 cars but I'm pretty sure that the 4 cars in front of you were all on slicks or semi-slicks and you were running Street tires. The track may look tight but high power cars have huge advantage.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
IJ.;1844257 said:
I like the electric idea, drove a new Mini recently and was surprised at the "feel" was expecting it to be dead. :)

They've put a lot of effort in creating decent feedback ,I tried some "sensor based steering" systems and the feel was quite good - nothing can substitute the mechanical connection tough ,and maybe it should not;)

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
A few onTrack pics from the last event:

PracticeTrim:

POST%20Practice%20TRIM.jpg

RaceTrim:
race%20trim1.jpg

RaceTrim2.jpg

race%20trim3.jpg

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Very nice set-up. What oil cooling set-up are you running? I see that you have a thermostat plate on top of the OE filter housing? are you still letting the coolant flow to that oil filter housing? Big oil cooler?

Thanks.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
turbogate;1861629 said:
Very nice set-up. What oil cooling set-up are you running? I see that you have a thermostat plate on top of the OE filter housing? are you still letting the coolant flow to that oil filter housing? Big oil cooler?

Thanks.

Oil Cooler is SETRAB 18" X 11" AN-12. IMO this is one of the best coolers ,with -12 being the only disadvantage. It also just happens that one of the fastest privately owned road racing Supras in the world is using the same exact cooler ,they are running it in one of the European GT2 wheel to wheel championships and making over 600 whp!

T-Stat plate is Earls with no coolant ports.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
In preparation for CHI2K12 (The largest Supra meet in midWest)

12volt mod ( Fuel Pump Rewire) ,done what I consider to be the "right" way. That included transistor buffer to the relay to maintain factory on/off control:

Schematics (Principle to the left ,actual to the right):

schematics.jpg

Implement:

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
LordDigital;1860084 said:

new desktop picture at work. :)

Yea after reading this whole thread, i'm realizing now I have the same problem with the PS pump. A month ago I heard a screeching coming from under the hood. Scared the bejesus out of me thought the oil psi went or something sounded horrible! Then realized it was the tensioner pulley and ps pulley were rubbing up against each other. The bolt for the PS pump snapped. I forgot the pump gets bolted to the AC compressor. I'm definitely going to be putting the compressor back on now!!

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
It was a weird experince today at CHI2K12 Dyno day. 3 Supras all Dynoed above 1000HP (One reaching 1300 IIRC) and I was next...

Was not shooting for too much horse power ,I know that turbo is cable of 600 at the wheels but I would never push that much on 1JZ ECU ,and the USDM 550 could not support more than 550 at the crank anyways - so my goal was 500whp.

My first surprise was that the car spun quite a lot on the first run. 10 secons later I realized that even tough this is suppose to be one of the best tuning shop for supras in North America ,they probably never dynoed Supra with so much negative camber in the rear:) 2 guyz later and the problem was "solved"

IMAG0582.jpg

Then I got my first run ,boost was 12.5psi with AFRs from 10.9 to 11.5 resulting in 455whp.

Run2.jpg

Finally I got my biggest surprise of the day ,on 15.5psi car made pretty much the same power(458whp). It is true that the power look great ,but I wonder what can could be the cause of max power at around 5200rpm which is the same RPM and power figures for 12 and 15 psi...

run3.jpg

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
That's funny Why couldn't they just strap the car down further instead of having two guys sit on the car?

That's weird about the minor power difference between 3psi. Don't they usually say around 9-11hp for every 1psi?

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
What size exhaust piping are you running? I am seeing the torque to hp crossover point around 5000 rpm in the first graph, and around 5200 rpm in the second. It looks like you are being restricted by something up top not allowing you to make peak power. I was there @ the dyno and was wondering the same thing after your dyno.