STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
7Mboost;1644319 said:
Would love to know where I can get parts to make UCA's for my car. :)

As I said I got these from Dr Jonez (Adam)'s car together with the reamed spindles. I've asked him a few times to give me the original invoice for the arms so I could post the part numbers for the community ,unfortunately the only paperwork that I got was the original SPC instruction book which is pretty generic and titled" SPC performance (pro series) - instruction sheet for Adjustable Upper control arm for "custom Street arm". He told me that the price was around $350 + reamed of the spindeles at a machine shop.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

WeDgE;1644406 said:
What is the Master Brake Cylinder from??

Subscribed!

This is 1 and 1/4 master cylinder (I believe is 30%+ over stock),got it also from DrJonez car. He never revealed the source of it (old mailing list secret I guess...) ,but I can tell you that it probably came from some 1991 or 1992 Toyota ,since my 92 white supra had the same kind of brake fluid tank.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spencyg;1644455 said:
Can you comment on these two points highlighted bold? I'm about to start building my first 7M-GTE after debating a V8 engine swap and deciding to go with the stock straight 6. Just curious why he/you consider the 7M unreliable, and how the MAFT Pro factors into this.

Thanks for humoring a relative Newby to the 7M club.

There is a noticeable "spiral" at the beginning of the Dyno graph (see the Dyno video). IMHO MAFT Pro is a lost cause ,I found this after looking at my logs in 2006 when I first got it. I've spend some serious amount of time of almost R&D with TurboBob but never got this resolved. There is a thread on MafPro forums:

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=2220

I finally gave up on it in 2006 ,but Kirk had the unit installed in his supra with the same transient problems. I tuned the car at two boost levels and the spiral showed up on the Dyno.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

thedave925;1644471 said:
So the engine lasted 20 years? I'm confused.
Will you fill us in with the story of the demise of this 20 year race performing 7m? I can totally see how 20 years without a ring job can help kill a turbo, and I can understand 20 years on any engine would reduce oil pressure, together with the low pressure to begin with.
I'm surprised it lasted 20 years racing around at this point.

My JZ engine is also 20 years old;)

I belive that he had the engine rebuild at sound performance around 2000 to 2002. I don't know anything about what was in it ,other than MHG.I just send the whole engine to the scrap yard (after offering it for basically for free on the forums of course) ;).

Anyways I don't want this thread to become JZ vs 7M ,it is my personal opinion that the 2 can't be compared. For me the homologation of the 7M finally expired when one day I was removing a plate holding the fuel restrictor on the 7m ,took the plate out and I saw my crankShaft ;)

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
LordDigital;1644617 said:
There is a noticeable "spiral" at the beginning of the Dyno graph (see the Dyno video). IMHO MAFT Pro is a lost cause ,I found this after looking at my logs in 2006 when I first got it. I've spend some serious amount of time of almost R&D with TurboBob but never got this resolved. There is a thread on MafPro forums:

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=2220

I finally gave up on it in 2006 ,but Kirk had the unit installed in his supra with the same transient problems. I tuned the car at two boost levels and the spiral showed up on the Dyno.

Thanks for posting this link. Interesting read. Sounds like it was just a tuning issue that should have been resolved on a Dyno. I've been reading, and many people love this piggyback computer and have no issues. Maybe it is because they aren't getting as in-depth with their analysis of AFR's like you apparently did, but MAFT-Pro wouldn't be selling as many units as they do if it was the source of blowing up engines.

And I don't know of many engines which are used primarily for race which aren't rebuilt at least once a season. To expect anything more seems a little unrealistic.

Regardless, intresting thread.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Subscribed...I plan on (casually) tracking my car and I'll need all of the tips I can get to move that heavyweight around the corners!

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
I got the front suspension replaced (LCA ,UCA). It seems that I've lost training in melting the LCA toyoda bolts.At least I gained some confidence how strong are these bolts (DIN 8?) after I tried to cut them with my sawzall;)

Resized.jpg

Intrestingly enought the steering rack had a major crack towards the steering wheel shaft! I can't believe that it was not leaking... I hope that the crack was not a result of running 275 Hoosier A6s...

Also got the very little interior that this card had out (yes I'll be doing the under dash JZA70 harness ;)

ResizedInterior.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
LordDigital;1648953 said:
I got the front suspension replaced (LCA ,UCA). It seems that I've lost training in melting the LCA toyoda bolts.At least I gained some confidence how strong are these bolts (DIN 8?) after I tried to cut them with my sawzall;)

Resized.jpg

Intrestingly enought the steering rack had a major crack towards the steering wheel shaft! I can't believe that it was not leaking... I hope that the crack was not a result of running 275 Hoosier A6s...

Also got the very little interior that this card had out (yes I'll be doing the under dash JZA70 harness ;)

ResizedInterior.jpg

Very nice attention to detail, even though you wont see it. I like that Good luck man.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Got the TKO differential out of the car ,it was too cold to do anything else. Plans are to check it ans see if I find Cusco Inside :evil2::evil2: ,adjust backLash set it to 1way etc.

DIFF.jpg

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Also subscribed. Street tech follows race tech, and watching a build focused on cornering will be really informative for me.

That said, can't wait to see more of it :D

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Got the diff on the bench. Wanted to make sure that it really is Cusco inside.

Converted the diff to what I belive is the best for 1.5JZ - 4.1 JZA70/MA70 Hybrid 4.1. Adjusted the backlash and set the diff to 1 way.

You have to know what is inside the stock diff ,to appriciate the Cusco design. It is $1500 well spend :

IMG00028.jpg

IMG00029.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Now here is my first major issue.

As a lot of the guys on this forum running 1JZ with “The Drewgo" will find out pretty soon - his manifolds were not that great. They do not crack, BUT he copied the MTR Manifold Wrong OR someone screwed up in the process of making his flanges - the result is that after a 3-4 track days my Drewgo manifold developed a leak. Upon closer inspection I found that the Second and First Runners were WAY off, causing the leak and unknown power loses. The other runners were also not perfect:

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

More Pictures here

http://forums.lorddigital.com/Project/1.5JZ/Manifold/Out/pages/IMG_7294.htm

Needles to say I contacted Drewgo and he was nice but not helpful. He said that he found the same issue on the manifold that he runs on his own car, there was a screw-up, he was going to fix it and send me a new one, then he said he is giving up on this business and now I believe he no longer sells these. That did not help me much.

I basically need a new manifold; I contacted Manic Tech Racing (MTR) and no reply from them yet. Anyone knows any other options besides getting a custom one for $2000+?

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
LordDigital;1661893 said:
Anyone knows any other options besides getting a custom one for $2000+?

Yup, break out the pencil/die grinder and bevel the manifold flange where the ports don't match.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Looks like they run restrictor plates in your class :)
That's a signifigant power loss occurring, not only the the reduced flow area but a big upset in the flow path right when it exits the head. Good luck in finding a new setup, should see some nice gains once it's matched.

I think you'll like the 4.1 especially if you're doing some short track stuff. I've got one and it was nice on shorter tracks, little too much shifting for big tracks and ran out of gear. I really like my 3.73 for bigger tracks 2mi.+

Btw, what hood are you running? Is it a carbonefx?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
prsrcokr;1672370 said:
Looks like they run restrictor plates in your class :)
That's a signifigant power loss occurring, not only the the reduced flow area but a big upset in the flow path right when it exits the head. Good luck in finding a new setup, should see some nice gains once it's matched.

I think you'll like the 4.1 especially if you're doing some short track stuff. I've got one and it was nice on shorter tracks, little too much shifting for big tracks and ran out of gear. I really like my 3.73 for bigger tracks 2mi.+

Btw, what hood are you running? Is it a carbonefx?

You are correct - the power loss was probably significant ,not to mention cyl to cyl deviations and some other issues. Interestingly enough car still made 387@wheels on 12.5psi. I got an email from MTR ,keeping my fingers crossed ... their mani at $1k is "dirty cheap" compared to alternatives!

The shortest track I run is 1.88miles (Gingerman) ,believe it or not the fastest times on this track are with no gear changes:) 4.1 is the perfect diff there. I have seen only one track where I could possibly hit the stock 1JZ rev limiter - Road America.

Hood is Raceon CF ,the best design I've seen as far as cooling is concerned.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
LordDigital;1673249 said:
You are correct - the power loss was probably significant ,not to mention cyl to cyl deviations and some other issues. Interestingly enough car still made 387@wheels on 12.5psi. I got an email from MTR ,keeping my fingers crossed ... their mani at $1k is "dirty cheap" compared to alternatives!

The shortest track I run is 1.88miles (Gingerman) ,believe it or not the fastest times on this track are with no gear changes:) 4.1 is the perfect diff there. I have seen only one track where I could possibly hit the stock 1JZ rev limiter - Road America.

Hood is Raceon CF ,the best design I've seen as far as cooling is concerned.

Yea and the hood acually flows with your car. I like it.