STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Lol ,this is what they call CAMBER (picture taken at the last autoX - yes I was too lazy to install my bumper and raced like that):

Camber.jpg

Attachments

• Camber.jpg
    Camber.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
eraezer;1767784 said:
which IC are you using? or what's the measurements of it?

ChinaSpecial (meaning big ,heavy but cheap IC) -> 24X12X3 Intercooler + 3"Pipes (hotSide) + 2.5" Pipes (ColdSide). I would never understand the Supra "tuners" who for the most part are still using the revers (larger out (cold) and smaller in (hot)) for the inter-cooler piping...

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I would be interested in the reason behind IC piping designs. I could take a guess that small hotside pipes causes a pressure drop in the IC (making it more efficient?) lowering temperature and spooling turbo faster(engine vacuum + kind of like a reversion dam) . Large intake piping keeps flow high and pressure lower so it wont heat up the charge. IIRC allot of track only turbo cars are always plumbed like this. Im thinking AC systems. Thoughts?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I believe it's easier than that. Hot air takes more space than cold air. So if the hot air from the turbo demands a certain diameter for efficient flow and pressure, once it has passed the IC and have been cooled x amount of degrees, it needs a smaller diameter of piping to remain at the same efficient flow and pressure.
How the IC itself affects the air does also need to be calculated for.
The output of the compressor housing affects this as well.

LordDigital: Thanks for the info.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spiller;1791270 said:
Great thread, cant believe I didnt see this earlier. Do you drive this car on the street dude? Pretty nuts if you do haha.

It may sound weird but after the build this car saw a lot more steet miles than track miles. Last year I trailed only once ,since I'm too lazy to wire by red 4runner:) Front springs are rated at around 1000lb/in and the ride is not too harsh ,compared to my CRX with 700lb/in and SPSS3 valving the ride is actually pretty good ! I should give you a ride if you are in Chicago area ;)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Your car is the only car other than mine that I've ever seen a forward slanted FMIC on.

Mines a center in/out though, and I have a smaller core cause I sized my system for 400hp max.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
LordDigital;1791518 said:
It may sound weird but after the build this car saw a lot more steet miles than track miles. Last year I trailed only once ,since I'm too lazy to wire by red 4runner:) Front springs are rated at around 1000lb/in and the ride is not too harsh ,compared to my CRX with 700lb/in and SPSS3 valving the ride is actually pretty good ! I should give you a ride if you are in Chicago area ;)
1000lbs is pretty firm but I dont mind a harsher ride also, puts hair on your chest! What do the cops say about a full cage when they see it, or arent they big on that in IL? I'm in Aus most of the time but spend about a month in Chicago each year as my fiancée is originally from there but it'd be great to catch up and go for a ride/pick your brain/swap ideas as i'm building my supra for the exact same purpose currently!

Do you by any chance have any other pics of your modified rear subframe? It looks like its had box sections welded into the front diff mounts and also X bracing, anything else there? I am pulling mine out soon to fit the beech arms but wanted to have my fabricator strengthen it before hand so ideas would be great!

Also how is your brake pedal feel with that larger MC?

cheers
Simon

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
destrux;1791598 said:
Your car is the only car other than mine that I've ever seen a forward slanted FMIC on.

Mines a center in/out though, and I have a smaller core cause I sized my system for 400hp max.

Mine is slanted as well, but it's regular size 24x12x3.. We did it that way because the stock unit was positioned the same.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spiller;1791611 said:
1000lbs is pretty firm but I dont mind a harsher ride also, puts hair on your chest! What do the cops say about a full cage when they see it, or arent they big on that in IL? I'm in Aus most of the time but spend about a month in Chicago each year as my fiancée is originally from there but it'd be great to catch up and go for a ride/pick your brain/swap ideas as i'm building my supra for the exact same purpose currently!

Do you by any chance have any other pics of your modified rear subframe? It looks like its had box sections welded into the front diff mounts and also X bracing, anything else there? I am pulling mine out soon to fit the beech arms but wanted to have my fabricator strengthen it before hand so ideas would be great!

Also how is your brake pedal feel with that larger MC?

cheers
Simon

Never had an issue with cops as far as I know in IL all that they care about is the front windshield (no cracks) and that is it:) PM when you are coming to Chicago.

SandBlasted the subFrame (will never do it again ,what a mess!) ,and welded lots of reinforcements around the front diff mounts and some X bracing. 15lbs later the subFrame is "275 slicks launch proof" ,I have tons of pictures of the process:
http://forums.lorddigital.com/Proje...ALX/RearSubFrame 3/Gallery/pages/IMG_5387.htm

Brake pedal feel is subjective ,I believe that the biggest improvement in this regard came from the support bracket (MasterCylinder to Hats). I say for sure that the brake modulation is a lot better with the larger master cylinder is a must for a BBK on MK3.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Dylan JZ;1791622 said:
Mine is slanted as well, but it's regular size 24x12x3.. We did it that way because the stock unit was positioned the same.

That is correct ,stock unit tilt angle is what I used (maybe +/- a few degrees). One reason is my Gredddddddy bumper in addition to that I believe that the IC efficiency at relativity low speeds may be better when IC is at an angle ,no proof just an educated guess ;)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Thanks for those pics, looks very sturdy. Do you still run the brake booster? I was going to try mine un-assisted for better modulation and feel. You guys are lucky over there with the cops it seems! Ill be over in Chicago in July/August so ill shoot you a PM :)

Teezlr

Jan 31, 2012
Venice California
I joined this forum just to follow this build! I moved to SoCal from TN about a year ago and bought an 88" Turbo Targa and have been building it for the track. I have the basic upgrades and full race cage, large wheel and tire setup.

I love this car and want all the details on the brake set up!

Awesome car and post more videos if you have time!

Jacob