Stacking Radiators - How should it be done?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Hi all,

I'm dong a "half radiator" in my car because of turbo placement. I found a small radiator that will work but I want to "stack" it for the cooling capacity the engine will need. So would there be a down side to "stacking" them in this fashion:

rade.png

Thanks

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
You'd be losing some cooling capability due to the fact that the air flow to the rear radiator would be slightly hotter than what you would get if it was setup like stock.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
I would think you'd have better results with a single rad thats 1.5x thickness/no. of cores.

or just ditch the AC condenser and get a single large rad made to fit where it goes.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
If space is limited I think you could make it work with some creative ducting to get some air in between the rads. But I would try to make the combined size of the 2 rads larger than the size of the original single radiator. Also I'm thinking heat shielding from the engine too for maximum cooling if the turbo is nearby.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'd be tempted to cascade the radiators instead. Have the coolant go through the rear radiator first, then through the front one. This will result in more efficient cooling for the surface area than running both in parallel, though it will require more plumbing.

Overall though I'd go with a single, thicker core.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1789009 said:
Ran mine in the Datto in series way back in the 80's.

datto24.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I appear to be seeing an engine with 2 cylinder banks, 2 turbos, 2 carburetors, 2 radiators... Did someone slip something in my water, or did that actually happen? :aigo:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Ok, thanks for the replies, I have no AC components up front so I have room to work. I like the idea of running them in series, I think I will try that I should have plenty of room to make it work.