srsly guys. What's up?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Why does everyone I know with a supra know everything about a bunch of other peoples supras. Why do they all talk so goddamned much/act like busy bodies and generally gossip about shit that means fuck all to anyone? ie: "who does your polishing? how much do you make on the dyno? how big is your stereo? Where did you get your custom interior" "I know such and such from the forum he sold me a hose clamp" etc etc. I thought these were supposed to be sports cars for going fast right? I don't know a single person who is dedicated to making theirs fast.

Gossip about that please? I'm being serious. Is my general perception skewed by the people I interact with or is this common? I'm getting burned on this crowd fast.

Thanks,

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
RazoE;1549101 said:
what are you talking about.?

Something that belongs in Off-Topic... Thread moved.

As for the OP's question - this is a site for people to interact who love Supras. Some of it is techincal, some of it isn't. Some people aren't all about speed, some people only care about speed.

One thing is for certain, while the forum can help, it's not going to make your car fast. What it can do is help you make the right decisions to get there. The data is here, mixed in with 1.5 million posts. It will take a lot of work and dedication to fish it out.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1265349&postcount=373

this might help to:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?16034-how-much-hp-for-boring&p=182731#post182731

It's a long road to learn what it takes to go fast.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

srsly guys why you want to careabout my car!

of all seriousness though.. who cares? just mod your car the way you want to...and not care what everyone else thinks...if you wanna put foldgers cans on your car's exhaust do it...we may flame you...but do you really have to listen to us?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
So what, lemme get this straight, we shouldn't know about other's people's cars that interest us? It's like knowing about a sports team you like.

If you're around a bunch of supra owners the #1 thing they have in common is...... SUPRAS. No shit they're going to talk about it...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I think what he is saying is that a lot of kids come onto this site and talk, but never produce any results.

So solution to your problem hang around the people who do produce results.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraMario;1549127 said:
I think what he is saying is that a lot of kids come onto this site and talk, but never produce any results.

Then we'd just become SF with the "elitist" attitudes.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles;1549145 said:
Then we'd just become SF with the "elitist" attitudes.

I strongly disagree. You take what you want from this site. If you're a hard core tech guy wanting to go fast, you had better listen to the likes of me, IJ and other oldschool guys. If you're looking for longevity and maintenance, JDub knows his shit. Electrical problem? Nobody will get you better results than JetJock. Want to talk about sex and the hell with the car? Theresa's good at that. :) Need some comic relief? Read anything written by Suprahero. Want some sarcasam in your life? I'll bet kwnate has it. Want a fight to the death on politics? I'm your guy.

Depending on your goal, you choose who you hang with around here, and what threads you participate in. Want nothing but hardcore tech? Stay in the tech sections. Don't really care about the cars all that much anymore but love talking with other Supra owners? Off-topic is your stomping grounds.

It's one of the things about SM that I think is really cool, there's something for everyone. And everyone can approach the site any damned way they want to. We don't require that anyone participate in all of it, or in any one part of it.

I believe the OP is complaining he wants more tech - well then the tech sections are his best bet. If he wants to go fast, listening to the people who actually do go fast is a pretty good suggestion.

I guess what I'm saying is to each his own, and "hang around the people who do produce results" is a valid approach to this site.

Personally I like all of it, so I try to read just about everything that's around here.

My $.02, your mileage may vary.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
SM is one of the sites I rarely go to offtopic to. It's all hardcore info and build threads that gives me ideas, as I try to absory every bit of knowledge, especially changes throughout the model years, and try to help others..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Supracentral;1549279 said:
I strongly disagree. You take what you want from this site. If you're a hard core tech guy wanting to go fast, you had better listen to the likes of me, IJ and other oldschool guys. If you're looking for longevity and maintenance, JDub knows his shit. Electrical problem? Nobody will get you better results than JetJock. Want to talk about sex and the hell with the car? Theresa's good at that. :) Need some comic relief? Read anything written by Suprahero. Want some sarcasam in your life? I'll bet kwnate has it. Want a fight to the death on politics? I'm your guy.

And if you like to hug other men... what are ya doin' later? :naughty: I love long hugs, to be held tight, and a good sense of humor. I'll be here all week. ;) I'll have to check my schedule with buckshot, Suprahero, and Slow66 to see when I'm available, though.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
SupraMario;1549127 said:
AGREED times eleventy BILLION!

Supracentral;1549279 said:
Personally I like all of it, so I try to read just about everything that's around here.
That's what makes this my favorite website/forum. The community here is incredible. I've never seen a bunch of people mesh together so well, with such a difference in opinions, direction, and goals, everything seems to just work here...
We have it ALL! Even dryer ducting schematics ;)
Which brings me to my next point, if you want a wildly worded, passionate story about sometimes nothing, don't forget Crisp!

shaeff;1549326 said:
And if you like to hug other men... what are ya doin' later? :naughty: I love long hugs, to be held tight, and a good sense of humor. I'll be here all week. ;) I'll have to check my schedule with buckshot, Suprahero, and Slow66 to see when I'm available, though.

Sign me up!

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
shaeff;1549326 said:

oh man! that was to funny, thank you for that long laugh........I love long hugs hahahaha way to funny

Lovesick Siren

Ice Princess
Sep 30, 2005
Georgia
www.myspace.com
OP, while I . . . guess I can understand the basic concept of speedy cars being used for speedy things, I can't think of a single reason why those questions you used as examples would make any car guy (or girl) upset. What, do car folks install stereos that can be heard from 6.2 miles away and attach decorative body kits to their rides so that they can be more discreet?

Most people I know who are into sports cars like to show them off, they're proud of what they've done to personalize them, and it's a common ground between them and other car people to say, "Hey, great paint job, who did it? Oh, yeah? _____ did mine, maybe I'll go where you went, next time," etc, etc. It's not offensive, and I'm kind of confused about why you liken it to petty gossip. It might actually mean "fuck all" to the person asking the question - maybe, just maybe, they're looking for something similar to what the person they're talking to has.

Anyway. SupraCentral's advice that you haunt the tech forums is a good one, I just had to throw in my two cents and all.