sputter/hesitation after intercooler install

i had a shop install a hard pipe intercooler kit for me, just got the car back and on the way home noticed that after 2k it would start sputtering and or hesitating and pretty violently at varying rpm's. it seems to stop once i get past 4500. when i was talking to the guy doing the work he said that he had started to clean the MAF because there was come carbon build up on it and im wondering if thats what is causing my problems, also he custom made some lines running the air filter under my headlight so i would be getting cooler air, because of the new air filter(just upgraded from the stock airbox) he says that the car will need a few weeks to adjust because its not used to getting the large volumes of air, any ideas? oh btw the engine was rebuilt to stock specifications(at least thats what i asked the guy) and everything on the car is stock. i reset the ecu and drove it around for a bit to see if it would help, not really and no codes.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Hacki_sack_kid;1284266 said:
i had a shop install a hard pipe intercooler kit for me, just got the car back and on the way home noticed that after 2k it would start sputtering and or hesitating and pretty violently at varying rpm's. it seems to stop once i get past 4500. when i was talking to the guy doing the work he said that he had started to clean the MAF because there was come carbon build up on it and im wondering if thats what is causing my problems, also he custom made some lines running the air filter under my headlight so i would be getting cooler air, because of the new air filter(just upgraded from the stock airbox) he says that the car will need a few weeks to adjust because its not used to getting the large volumes of air, any ideas? oh btw the engine was rebuilt to stock specifications(at least thats what i asked the guy) and everything on the car is stock. i reset the ecu and drove it around for a bit to see if it would help, not really and no codes.

he lied to cover his ass, there is no solvent that can clean the mirror on the afm with out leaving a residue making the sensor worthless now. If it acts like mine did it will get worse and worse and begin to stall to the point it wont restart when you put it in neutral and let it idle on its own. never got an afm code from mine until it totally took a shit on me.

New is $6-800 bones. I suggest a used one ;)

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma

Yup! MAF is fucked! These things are SO delicate I can't stand it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

Another vote here for the MAF, unfortunately. I'd stop driving the car hard until you get it sorted. Could also be that you have a massive leak somewhere in your intercooler piping, but since he "tried" to clean the MAF I'd bet on that being the culprit.

In all seriousness though, if you're going to have anyone else install anything on the car, swing by my place and we'll tackle it ourselves... without damaging expensive components. ;)

How you been?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Okay, MAF question... IS there a way to safely clean it and have it work right afterward, or is replacement the only viable option given its sensitivity?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ its AFM, and no,nothing over the counter will clean it. You can clean the plaistc leg that comes out of it but do NOT get any cleaner into the small holes at the base of the leg.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
grimreaper;1284300 said:
he lied to cover his ass, there is no solvent that can clean the mirror on the afm with out leaving a residue making the sensor worthless now. If it acts like mine did it will get worse and worse and begin to stall to the point it wont restart when you put it in neutral and let it idle on its own. never got an afm code from mine until it totally took a shit on me.

New is $6-800 bones. I suggest a used one ;)

I didn't get a code until min died as well, and as soon as they go, they go! Lucky me I had a guy down the street that had a Turbo Supra so I Used his to test weather or not mine was broken.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
One of my first mistakes when I got my sup. it had a blown seal in the turbo. Oil was inside the ic pipes and the ic its self. So I took all the pipes and hoses off and cleaned them, all pipes and hoses! Yep even the intake hose I sprayed degreaser all in it.:nono: LOL. $150 mistake.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mirage83;1285022 said:
Hey, Tuesday is my designated dyslexia day. You and Grim have to wait till tomorrow to pick on me for that. :biglaugh:

My apologies! :) To dyslexia, and beyond!

jdub;1285045 said:
Hacki Sack - Suggest you pull ECU codes.

i take it thats different from crossing the Te1 and E1 terminals? if it requires a computer it might be difficult, the previous owner got some shit in the diagnostic terminal, tried to hook up a scan tool and it doesn't recognize it.... anyway if it is crossing the 2 terminals, i have and didn't pull any codes

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Hacki_sack_kid;1285676 said:
i take it thats different from crossing the Te1 and E1 terminals? if it requires a computer it might be difficult, the previous owner got some shit in the diagnostic terminal, tried to hook up a scan tool and it doesn't recognize it.... anyway if it is crossing the 2 terminals, i have and didn't pull any codes

It doesn't require a computer just jump the terminals and the check engine light should flash the codes at you. If you have no codes it will blink at a steady rate.

sneakypete;1286307 said:
so the check engine light is flashing constantly?

sorry to be an ass but how many times am i going to have to say this I HAVE CHECKED FOR CODES, AFTER JUMPING THE Te1 AND E1 TERMINALS TURNING OFF ALL ACCESSORIES AND TURNING THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION THE CHECK ENGING LIGHT CONTINUALLY FLASHED IN .26 SECOND INTERVALS aka no codes, yes i have done this before

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ your posts dont inspire confidence in your understanding on checking codes. That is why he most likely questioned you. Or he just didnt read the whole thread:)

you swap the afm for another? electronics only...

ive kinda been in a bad situation for a while so my dad decided to help me out with this one, and im gettin a new one from the dealership i used to work at, they like me enough to still give me a discount:thumbup: still waiting on it to come in though should be either tomorrow of friday