spun rod bearing.....again

7m_no_sht

7m-no-more 1uzTT baby
Dec 6, 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey guys about a month ago I spun my no. 1 rod bearing. I took the 7m out riped it apart and sent the block off to get ground down because it was beyond just cleaning it. Put another rod in from the other 7ms I have and got the head and block decked and tanked. Ordered .020 oversized rod bearings and .010 main bearings along with a full rebuild kit. I just finished putting everything back together and dropped the engine in did the 20min break in changed the oil and went out to begin the 250mi break in process, about 15 miles in it spun another bearing. I have no idea why, I checked the gaps and the torque on everything 2 or 3 times and everything was to spec. Anybody have ideas why it spun again and what I can do to prevent it from happening again

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
20 under "might" be under the hardness of the stock Toyota Induction hardening, cold/dry starts the crank is soft enough to pick up some bearing material, do this a couple of times and you get enough material transfer/galling to flatten a tang and the bearing is toast.

When you pull it down take some good macro pics of both the bearing and the crank pin and post them here.

Ditto on pull ALL the crank plugs and clean the crap out, you can never be too clean when assembling an engine.

7m_no_sht

7m-no-more 1uzTT baby
Dec 6, 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
IJ.;1798730 said:
20 under "might" be under the hardness of the stock Toyota Induction hardening, cold/dry starts the crank is soft enough to pick up some bearing material, do this a couple of times and you get enough material transfer/galling to flatten a tang and the bearing is toast.

When you pull it down take some good macro pics of both the bearing and the crank pin and post them here.

Ditto on pull ALL the crank plugs and clean the crap out, you can never be too clean when assembling an engine.

What are you talking about 20 under? I said I had oversized bearings not softer ones