"Spinningheadboy's Interior rebuild- Black Leather Heated Seats & Alcantara Dashboard

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I had a painfull discovery while installing the dash. I had it all in and was connecting the crotch cooler pipe, when it seems the pipe does not fit the left drivers vent ducting...wtf!! The 1988 dash is different from the 1991 dash in one way...the left ducts are different. I had to pull the dash back out 5 inches to remove the duct and install the 1991 duct. See below for the difference.
Left is 1991-Right is 1988 left side dash vent duct.
in85.jpg

The good news is I'm done.
Here is what I upgraded-

I installed a new heater core, refinished my steering wheel cover, added a carbon fibre style overlay to my gauges, added polished alum. gauge bezels, covered the dash in black Alcantara, new leather seat covers, all door cards recovered in leather, put in a new power antenna, added 6 new speakers to replace old rotting ones, added seat heaters to both front seats, added a c's short shifter, made a new panel for the seat heater switches, new leather armrest cover, shift boot and e-brake cover...whew.

in86.jpg

in87.jpg

in88.jpg

in89.jpg

in90.jpg

in91.jpg

in92.jpg

in93.jpg

cwd

Last edited:

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Dash looks wonderful, definitely something I've toyed with for a long time, just been too busy with other junk. Moved it up on the list of things to do :)

Any suggestions on how you placed the seams and made templates, or just lots of trial and error?

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Zach;1746289 said:
Dash looks wonderful, definitely something I've toyed with for a long time, just been too busy with other junk. Moved it up on the list of things to do :)

Any suggestions on how you placed the seams and made templates, or just lots of trial and error?

Look at page 5.... that is how i made the patterns. I used another member pictures for reference on where I put the seams. Try and keep it simple, as less is more. You have to be pretty close to exact, because alcantara does not stretch much when you pull it. Sewing and getting it tight enough was the hardest part. I must have pulled the cover up 4 or 5 to get it better.

cwd

tito

Apr 6, 2011
California
I was originally planning to buy some recaro seats but now you really got me considering those leather seat covers