spiller's JZA70 build-up

MA70R

Mar 12, 2009
canberra
yea ive been told that the digi is a bit slow and takes i while for the numbers to register. looks more JDM anyway having a speedo going to 180KM/H :) makes it more genuine imo

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
yeah battery starts it, makes 14 volts or whatever on the OEM voltmeter. but the car actually has an electrical issue atm which is draining the battery almost completely in 2 days so havent got to the bottom. i think its the alarm, maybe the bat. is too small???

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
about time I updated this thread I think!

I returned home a fews ago from a 5 week stay in Chicago over xmas with the girlfriend's family, what a great trip, and what a great opportunity to source some cool parts that would have been far more expensive had I paid shipping and customs on them! First priority was to get the engine and vin numbers officially checked by the DOT so the car can be re-registered (as I bought it from a different state). That's all done now so I can finally get going with fitting some of the new and used upgrades...

Firstly, was umming and ahhing about purchasing an ARZ wilwood kit for the front and ditching the nightpager upgrade and eventually bit the bullet. Nightpager kit is now sold and this will replace it...

p1500955_1.jpg

p1500955_2.jpg

Also thought i'd grab some energy poly bushes for the front and rear - great price for a complete kit bar front and rear subframes.

p1500955_3.jpg

Blitz Nur spec was delivered from Japan while I was away, needs a bit of a polish but should come up good and they punch out a great note.
p1500955_4.jpg

p1500955_5.jpg

also picked up some US spec side repeaters for a cleaner look, as well as a new speedo cable as mine has snapped. thanks to Curt at Elmhurst for this, amazing service at that place!

p1500955_6.jpg

p1500955_7.jpg

and here's my progress on the front end thus far...
p1500955_8.jpg

nightpager kit off

p1500955_9.jpg

p1500955_10.jpg

out comes the front suspension

p1500955_11.jpg

messy ass wiring discovered behind the front left guard liner, going to re-locate the fuse box back to its original position and do my best to tidy up the wiring.

p1500955_12.jpg

in its current state.

im planning on changing all perishables whilst ive got everything out, starting with the upper and lower control arm bushes. i've also sourced some new lower control arm balljoints and outer tie rod ends...still unsure what to go for with the sway bar links, anyone got any ides?

I dropped the control arms at the suspension place this arvo to have the old bushes pressed out and the new ones pressed in (old ones we're actually ok but i'd rather just do it all at once anyway). Once im done with the front end ill swap the car around and get going on the rear, in the meantime, some of the body parts that need paint are making a trip to the paint shop - i.e. rear bumper, side mouldings and turbo-a duct.

hopefully i'll have this sucker on the road by the end of february.

thanks for looking!

dblstr

Dec 23, 2009
SA
Really dont see many A70s out and about in SA nowadays, ive owned mine for about a year and i think ive seen maybe 5 other unique ones :/

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
have i met you before buddy? we used to have a great little bunch of owners/cars a couple of years ago but sadly many of them sold up (myself included, but i couldnt stay away) or their cars have been off the road for extended periods.

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Damm, wish I knew about the night paper kit too... ah well.

Good to know you got through regency. Did you get through first time, or did they make you come back?
Jealous of the brakes.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
--Golli;1501067 said:
Damm, wish I knew about the night paper kit too... ah well.

Good to know you got through regency. Did you get through first time, or did they make you come back?
Jealous of the brakes.
brakes were up on sa supra for a while, ended up selling to a local guy on toymods tho. Got it through the second time, although it was just an ID inspection, the guy and his lackies took the liberty to go over every aspect of the car with a fine toothed comb, torches and all! They wouldn't clear the car's ID until I hooked up my heater, got the vin stamped onto the chassis and changed to a factory steering wheel. Oh and they also took away my friend's trade plate anHey mum what size is matt again?d made me walk in 40deg heat to the rego
office to buy a permit so I could drive the car home...apparently you aren't allowed to borrow trade plates...

The calipers are off an r32 gtr but are basically the same as z33 and s14/15 etc.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
well, ive had a minor set back with this. turns out Energy suspension made a mistake when they packaged my front control arm bushing kit and accidently put a completely random part in there. as a result, im missing one of the bushings for the lower control arm. Aaron from driftmotion is onto it for me and is sending me the right part so ill have to wait a little bit for that to come before i can finish the front end. however I can still get going fitting up the other side but first I need to degrease everything - i want it to be clean enough to lick :p

so...

i got going on the upper control arms today. just hit them with a wire wheel and a quick hand polish with some good ol' autosol. clean enough for me!

p1507313_1.jpg

p1507313_2.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
spiller;1507313 said:
well, ive had a minor set back with this. turns out Energy suspension made a mistake when they packaged my front control arm bushing kit and accidently put a completely random part in there. as a result, im missing one of the bushings for the lower control arm. Aaron from driftmotion is onto it for me and is sending me the right part so ill have to wait a little bit for that to come before i can finish the front end. however I can still get going fitting up the other side but first I need to degrease everything - i want it to be clean enough to lick :p

so...

i got going on the upper control arms today. just hit them with a wire wheel and a quick hand polish with some good ol' autosol. clean enough for me!

p1508343_1.jpg

p1508343_2.jpg

Looks good, I'm planning on cleaning up a spare pair of arms and putting new bushes in them too. Leaving them last on my list of parts to polish at this stage, but looking at yours makes me want to get into mine right now

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
yeah it was actually really easy with the wire wheel. took me about 1 hour to do both. i could have gone further with wet grit and got rid of all the casting marks but at the end of the day its in the wheel arch and can barely be seen so as long as they're clean, im happy.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
spiller;1508586 said:
yeah it was actually really easy with the wire wheel. took me about 1 hour to do both. i could have gone further with wet grit and got rid of all the casting marks but at the end of the day its in the wheel arch and can barely be seen so as long as they're clean, im happy.

I usually use a file to get rid of the casting marks, can take an eternity sometimes

I'll case it out when its time to detail them, currently I'm trying to stick to a certain order for detailing parts to keep the momentum going

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
yep, being organised is KEY to getting the job done properly and keeping things on schedule/ticking over. when i get under my car i get overwhelmed at the amount of shit that i have to do and there isnt even "that much" haha.

i spent all afternoon degreasing today as previous owner obviously didnt degrease all the grime and ps fluid build up when he had the steering rack rebuilt. upon going to re-fit my lower control arms ive realised those idiots at the suspension place who pressed in my new bushes pressed them in the wrong configuration. so far this whole bushes experience has been one big fuck up and whats frustrating is that the things that you pay "professionals" to do always end up taking longer and usually involve error. i've just remembered why i rarely pay people to work on my car.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I hear what you are saying, its also why I stick with the workshops I use, they may cost more but none of this stuff happens. You get what you pay for in the end