speedo cable replacement at a shop

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
my speedo cable hasnt worked for nearly a year now and im going on a 3200 mile trip come june, i need to get it fixed but i dont have a place to work on my car right now. does anyone know around how much a shop will charge to replace it? it kills me to think of someone else tearing into my car but i dont think i would be able to do it with very limited tools and only a driveway to work in. its my daily driver so it would have to be done in a day or two at the most.

any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
its fairly easy. only really takes a phillips screw driver for the top piece and your hands for the bottom piece(maybe some pliers). that is if you have a jack to get under the car.

hope that helps i have no idea how much shops would charge for that. i would assume something close to 100/hr labor + parts. i would think no more than 2 hrs labor.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It really is a pretty easy repair. But, you have to be careful to get it put back into the clamps that they came out of. If not, it will twist, and destroy itself pretty quick. I can't see an honest shop charging more than an hour to do the job. That said, 2 hours is a good estimate of what you would pay.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Also, you may not need the entire cable. The most common piece to go bad is the lower part, that is about a foot long. You may try pulling you instrument panel and the lower piece of the cable. Spin the cable from the bottom, and have someone tell you if it is spinning at the top. If it is, you probably only need the lower portion, which I believe I have seen is pretty cheap from the dealer.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If it's the bottom piece, you're crazy to pay anyone to do it. You can do it in a parking lot if it comes to that. You don't even need a tool, unless MAYBE you need a set of pliers in they're really stuck.

If it's the top piece, I would expect a shop to charge $100 for labor as a minimum.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ForcedTorque;1481615 said:
Also, you may not need the entire cable. The most common piece to go bad is the lower part, that is about a foot long. You may try pulling you instrument panel and the lower piece of the cable. Spin the cable from the bottom, and have someone tell you if it is spinning at the top. If it is, you probably only need the lower portion, which I believe I have seen is pretty cheap from the dealer.

spin the upper from where the upper and lower meet and look threw where it meets at the gauge. i think thats what you meant it just confused me for a sec.