Specs and Year Changes for MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra_Z

7M dreamin
Feb 15, 2006
San Jose CA
Is there a difference in body style between a NA supras and a Turbo Supras? besides the turbo badge on the left buttcheek?

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Jeff Lange said:
Most cars I've seen have the coin holder, but some older ones just had a flate plate in there.

ABS and TEMS were never a part of the same package. TEMS was a part of the "Sport Package," ABS was an independant option.
image0035hy.jpg

MKIIITrbo89

Mar 31, 2005
West Chester PA
Did the light around the drivers side keyhole start in 89? My brother and I each have an 89T and his has the keyhole light and mine doesn't. I always assumed mine was broken but probably it just never had the option added

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Allan_MA70 said:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7269/image0035hy.jpg

Am I missing something here, what are you showing?

As far as the bodies of the cars go, the N/A and Turbo were very close, the Turbo had the badging, and the spoiler, aside from that, they are identical on the exterior, pretty much.

As far as I know, all Supras had the lighted key hole, but I haven't been able to confirm anything. I know people with 87's that have it, my 88 has it, but some people claim to not have it.

Can you take a pic of your lock?

CassMori

Boost Addict
Jeff Lange said:
Am I missing something here, what are you showing?

that he has no ABS? :dunno:

Hey Jeff, you wouldn't happen to know the p/n for the 2.5tt R rear sway bar bushings, would you? The Toyota parts guy here says that there's a split in the p/n's in mid-90 or so, says the later one is the one I need. Just wanted to check with you, 'cause I trust you more than him ;) .

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
Jeff Lange said:
True, but that's not really good enough, lol.

I know it was there, almost all the 88T's I've seen have ABS as well, including mine, but I know for a fact it was an option.

What I need is someone with a 91 who doesn't have ABS to post. :), or I need info backing up that it was standard from a magazine or Toyota.

Doesn't really matter that much, but I don't want to change it unless I'm sure. For a long time I was told it was made standard in 89, which I know is not true.

ABS became standard by 91 im sure of it....

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
jdma70 said:
ABS became standard by 91 im sure of it....

How are you sure of it? Please provide at least a tiny tidbit of a source to back that up. This entire thread is based around fact. I won't change my post based on someone's opinion, ;).

My opinion is that ABS was never made standard on the MK3, possibly standard on the turbo models, but never on the N/A, because the EPC lists the non-ABS brake lines as being used until the MK3's production stopped, up until 4/93.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
That’s not an opinion Jeff, it's a fact. ABS never became standard on N/A(base models) It only became standard on Turbo models in 91. So I'm sure somewhere there is a 92 N/A model Supra that came without ABS.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
dirgle said:
That’s not an opinion Jeff, it's a fact. ABS never became standard on N/A(base models) It only became standard on Turbo models in 91. So I'm sure somewhere there is a 92 N/A model Supra that came without ABS.

Yeah, we went over it, but it was brought up again.

I'm still not 100% sure I buy that ABS was standard on 91-92 Turbos, it seems extremely likely, and I'm like 98% sure, but I'm still on the lookout ;).

Allan_MA70 said:
nope that it DOES have ABS in 1987 and TEMS and sport roof and turbo and digital dash :D

im more just braging

Digital dash is somewhat unique, being that we didn't get it, but ABS and TEMS are extremely common to be seen on Turbo Supras here. :)

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
This might not be the right place...but anyone know how many garnet pearl 92's were made?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
hmm, my 87 has ABS, TEMS, Security System, and lighted keyholes on door, and ignition keyhole, Targa Top, Cloth int. w/vinyl headliner.

Don't know if I helped, but, well, yea...

And what accounts for the 12mm ride height drop on the newer supras, I think that it is the perfect height, I think my 87 looks as if it were designed for baja racing or something, lol... It just seems to sit so high, maybe whatever was different on the newer models can be done to the older models?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
johnathan1 said:
hmm, my 87 has ABS, TEMS, Security System, and lighted keyholes on door, and ignition keyhole, Targa Top, Cloth int. w/vinyl headliner.

Don't know if I helped, but, well, yea...

And what accounts for the 12mm ride height drop on the newer supras, I think that it is the perfect height, I think my 87 looks as if it were designed for baja racing or something, lol... It just seems to sit so high, maybe whatever was different on the newer models can be done to the older models?

Sounds like a common Supra to me. :)

The springs were changed in 89 to lower the car, that is all. :)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
OK this is a bit of an old thread but I can update the keyhole bit.

I have a 1986.5 N/A WITH a lighted drivers side keyhole and it makes me hold up the doorhandle when i shut it while locked so it is a 1986.5 door and not a replacement from another car. i believe vin's match too soo...yeah

If anyone has doubts about theirs they should look around the metal keyhole for a clear plastic giving away the fact that their light is just out. If its not there you either dont have a lighted one for some assbackwards reason, or it was painted over when your car was repainted. Try to compare subtle differences between it and the passenger side keyhole for more clues if you cannot see the clear plastic; my guess SOMETHING would be different in the moulding or lumps where the individual pieces come together when assembled.

speaking of lighted keyholes...my ignition keyhole only works sometimes... its got a mind of it's own... :aigo:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You can add to your list. My 91 factory repair manual lists compression specs for the GE the same as the Cressida, 171 psi. I don't know about the 90. This is an increase from the 156 psi when the Supra debuted in Jan of 86.

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
I dont know if anybody was aware but I just found out myself. It seems that the pre89 turbos only had the 70 amp alternators and the 89+ have 80 amp alternators. I dont know the year exactly but when I went to go get a new alternator for my car from napa, the 87 year only had a 70amp and i ended up getting a 91 turbo alternator since it was 80amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.