Somethin's messed up

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I went to the track today thinkin i should be able to atleast get under 14.50 in the 1/4 mile. So here is where the fun begins, first time at the track wasn't use to the lights revved it up, light turned green 5k launch. The tires turned to smoke, wheels started bouncing like :biggrinbo slam it into second. I hear a dragging noise, then i go through the rest of the gears and get back to the parking lot.

My exhaust is dragging, so i'm thinkin put it back on and go for another run. Start it up, my exhaust is quieter then usual. I start to drive and get it into boost. Nothin, my bov didn't even sound.

On the drive home, it basically runs like an N/A with a wire-ry sound to it. Less then half throttle won't get it into positive boost. 70% gets it to 1psi

My best guess is that the wastegate spring is toast, because before then 10psi @ 4.5k started to fall back to 5psi toward redline and 5th gear would hit 13psi but i'm not sure if it held to redline :aigo:

Its been an interesting day, this is my dd and I'm clueless:1zhelp:

Oh and before i forget, the turbo still spins freely, the vaccum is where its suppose to be (20) off throttle, blip 0 and back down to 20,

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Hey everything else held up, but the only problem i'm having is the turbo won't make more then 1psi. But that was the last number i seen before i started watchin the tree

Any time i give it gas, it has a wire'ry sound to it, I haven't got to look at the exhaust fins yet *no garage, no light* other then that there really isn't any *which don't help in trouble shooting*

I'll go around the block and see if i can come up with anything else.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
I had a major exhaust leak once (unfortunately let a shop put on my Titan downpipe and they screwed something up) and I wasn't able to make boost...turbo spooled up but as soon as it hit boost there was practically none to be had. This isn't typically what would cause a problem like yours, I don't think, but you mentioning the exhaust dragging on the ground makes me think maybe it could be related. Plus if that's what it is the change in sound definitely makes sense...just an idea, I know it's not typical but neither is dragging your exhaust ;)

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
lol yea today just wasn't that great of a day at all. But i went around the block, it still doesn't wanna boost. Vacuum is good, doesn't even have the spool sound to it. But i kno the turbo is moving.

My guess is that the exhaust might have pulled on the elbow alittle bit and maybe cracked it. But I couldn't be sure till tomorrow, I'm gonna retighten everything down and see if anything gets better.

And the sound that comes out the exhaust is a werid ass sound. Its wire'ry like when your in fifth gear doing 30-40 or jumping gears, how it has that f you i don't wanna be in this gear sound.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
checked the ic hoses and everything. Nothings wrong with them, there still on tight. The according hose is on, the 3k pipe is on tight.

Its almost like a knocking sound comin out the exhaust, but the motor doesn't have a knock to it.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
aftermarket bov and i looked at it today, one of the bolts to the manifold was layin half in half out of the manifold.

So I'm guessin its time to drill and tap the manifold and see what i can come up with after that.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Inspect the small rubber accordian type seal coming out of the back of your wastegate. I had a pinhole in mine, that couldn't be seen until I spread it out. It caused similar boost issues, but I don't remember wirey exhaust.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
No bent fins, haven't found a leak in the piping and tightened the bolts on the manifold down.

Still came up with nothin, my guess is that somethins stuck in the exhaust somewhere somehow. Took the exhaust off and it seemed to run alright. So i'ma take off the rest of the exhaust before the 3" cat and see if it runs like it should. If not, back to the drawing board.