Solid Motor Mount Queston

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Currently looking to buy some solid motor mounts,
i have a 1991 GTE but i found some cheaper mounts on
horsepowerfreaks for the MKIV.

1989+-1998 Can all use the same Solid motor mounts correct?

EDIT: Actually i might just skip all that crap and use like 2-3 Hockey Pucks on each side
for motor mounts, If anyone has some Solid motor mounts laying around can you measure
it from top to bottem so i can get a rough estimate on how many pucks ill need on each side?

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
How much cheaper do you want than $90?

http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm

Hockey pucks are a waste of life. They'll crush in an accident allowing the bolt to be sheared off, sending your engine into someone's lap, which is rather impolite. I never understood the redneck fascination with using hockey pucks for various vehicle modifications; the only thing hockey pucks are good for is playing hockey. Do you really want a flimsy peice of rubber holding your 700lb motor steady when someone slams into you at highway speed? Hockey pucks are made from a very hard, dense, and brittle rubber. They will crack and deform under repeat loading cycles and vibration stress, and I've been told that they break down even faster under heat. Sort of the opposite properties you'll want in a motor mount, transmission mount, or body mount.

Do the public a favour and do it right, because it may not just be your life at risk.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Keros;1577215 said:
How much cheaper do you want than $90?

http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm

Hockey pucks are a waste of life. They'll crush in an accident allowing the bolt to be sheared off, sending your engine into someone's lap, which is rather impolite. I never understood the redneck fascination with using hockey pucks for various vehicle modifications; the only thing hockey pucks are good for is playing hockey. Do you really want a flimsy peice of rubber holding your 700lb motor steady when someone slams into you at highway speed? Hockey pucks are made from a very hard, dense, and brittle rubber. They will crack and deform under repeat loading cycles and vibration stress, and I've been told that they break down even faster under heat. Sort of the opposite properties you'll want in a motor mount, transmission mount, or body mount.

Do the public a favour and do it right, because it may not just be your life at risk.

How much cheaper do i want than $90? Hmm maybe $10 for my 6 pucks?

Any examples of a motor flying out of a car "Because" they used hockey pucks as a motor mount?
Seriously i would like to see this news report/pictures/etc etc.

AND since when does the damn motor mount bushing hold the motor down you idiot? the only thing my hockey
puck is going to do is be a cushin, not a bracket... Please think before you type.

I personally know a few guys who use hockey pucks and have for years...
They dont give off no where near the vibration amount solids do, but nor do they rip and give
like the OEM's...

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Ok captain physics, here we go.

Most/all motor mounts have a fastener mounting plate to plate with some kind of cushion in between (or just a block of aluminum for a solid mount) another plate:

87%20poly%20mm2%20(Medium).JPG

(sorry randy for stealin' ur photo)

Sort of like a plate sandwich with a rubber or rubber/oil filling, sometimes aluminum. Like a manwich.

Anyway, a bolt does not function in shear or bending, it's only intended to work in tension. A fastener's torque is calculated based on the area of the mounting faces and their coeffiecient of friction. The point is that the faces of the metal plates are under enough pressure from the bolt that they cannot move in any direction... this leaves the bolt under permenent tension, NOT shear. If the bolt were to come loose, the faces of the mounted plates would no longer 'grip' each other, and would thus bend (or shear off) the bolt when the loading capabilites of the bolt were exceeded. Which, isn't hard when you're leveraging a 700lb motor.

Now, the point of all this is that a hockey puck motor mount is essentially a long bolt with a few pucks as spacers. And then you tighten all that down, squishing the pucks together. Now you vibrate the shit out of them, heat them, get oil on them, cool them, heat them again, and torque the crap out of them launching the car, ect... Now the pucks have squished some and there's going to be a smidge of play left over as a result of the rubber compressing... so the bolt is now holding the engine steady instead of the mounts.

Think of it like this: put a 1/4" bolt in a vice and have 3" of it poking out, tighten that vice down good. Now grab a hammer and give a good wack. It probably bent. Now, take another 1/4" bolt, drill two holes in some angle iron and bolt the flanges together, stick the flange of one of them into the vice and give the flange of the other a good wack, it won't be nearly as easy to bend... because the bolt is in tension holding the flanges together (if you tightened the bolt just enough).

This is what a hockey puck mount will get you:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=172089

The purpose of a fastener is to hold structural members together, not BE a structural member. If you will, a standard motor mount as shown above from BIC, imagine how that moves under load. The bolts do not take any fluctuating load at all, no matter what the engine is doing: it is only preloaded by the torque from the nut. What actually holds the engine in place is the sandwich filling, the rubber in between... the bolts simply hold the rubber's mounting plates onto the chassis and motor.

If that explaination isn't simple enough to understand, strap in those hockey puck mounts and go drive into a wall at 50MPH, let me know if the engine stays put. If it does, I'll not only believe you, but I'll apologize, and I'll even buy you a beer. Now you just can't get more reasonable than that, can you?

I really don't think $15 is enough to spend to hold 700lbs of engine in place. I think there should be a bit more engineering there, but that's just one guy's opinion. There's really no way to turn a hockey puck into a bracket without some serious thought and design, otherwise it's simply a cushion. And since it's cushioning a bolt, which is holding in an engine, the bolt is really holding in the engine, not a bracket. Do you really think this is wise? Itty bitty little bolt, bigass engine? What do you think will happen to those two bolts when that engine tries to decelerate under crash conditions? It's going to shear off. And where do things go when they break off of something that was moving, captian physics? Newton's first law, in the direction it was originally going... which, in most cases, will be straight ahead.

You're really not looking at this problem three dimensionally; a bolt is not intended for that purpose, that's why GTI kid's bolt looks like the start of a pretzel baking project.

I know a guy who ran hockey puck body lifts on his truck, until he was in a T-bone accident and his cab was thrown 25ft from the rest of the truck. Amazingly, he didn't break too many things, but he was ok. Why did the cab become disconnected? Some idiot replaced the body MOUNTS with cushions and the bolts sheared off.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Solid mounts = fail..... :nono:

If you're going to do it do it right with aluminium not rubber..
(rubber will flex and you'll have the bolt rubbing and possible noise)

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Ill just make a few brackets going from the block to my bay...

l*O^4x/24xN-2/9x+4~(2x10)^4

1 Bracket from the ex:AC compressor to my bay is 179lbs taken off my Mounts.
Thats just 1, i should be good.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hockey pucks work great in old muscle cars where there is nearly a foot between the engine fan and radiator... we have what, an inch? One hard stop and goodbye radiator. Oh, and the lower bolt of the mounts go into slots, so if the pucks squish down over time (they will) you might have the engine pull itself out.

I can think of dozens of ways of how this is completely stupid and unsafe. As I said, get the factory MKIV supra mounts and be done.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I6Boost;1577586 said:
Ill just make a few brackets going from the block to my bay...

l*O^4x/24xN-2/9x+4~(2x10)^4

1 Bracket from the ex:AC compressor to my bay is 179lbs taken off my Mounts.
Thats just 1, i should be good.
Why not use proper mounts?

What are you hoping to gain by solid mounting the engine?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I6Boost;1577194 said:
EDIT: Actually i might just skip all that crap and use like 2-3 Hockey Pucks on each side
for motor mounts, If anyone has some Solid motor mounts laying around can you measure
it from top to bottem so i can get a rough estimate on how many pucks ill need on each side?

What the
images
are you thinking? :nono:

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Poodles;1577704 said:
Hockey pucks work great in old muscle cars where there is nearly a foot between the engine fan and radiator... we have what, an inch? One hard stop and goodbye radiator. Oh, and the lower bolt of the mounts go into slots, so if the pucks squish down over time (they will) you might have the engine pull itself out.

I can think of dozens of ways of how this is completely stupid and unsafe. As I said, get the factory MKIV supra mounts and be done.

I'm not gonna lie it does sound pretty stupid and unsafe, but i dont see how my engine could possibly move forward?
My Driveshaft isn't stretching, and i doubt my transmission mounts are going to break...

@ IJ, im not looking to gain anything but just another option.

@ GotTurbos?, I've never once heard anyone ever say mk3 owners are cheap, ive actually heard the opposite.
I'f our cars are known to be money pits how is it that makes sense to say we are cheap? Explain that one too me please lol.

I'm not going with pucks for sure, it was just an option vs mass vibration with solid's.

You guys act like you have always went to the dealer for EVERYTHING, going to autozone
for a TB gasket or what not, is the cheap way out also. So im pretty sure we are all guilty of
skimping just a tad bit just not as far as i wish to go :p