so ive decided...

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
89jdm7m;1907844 said:
funny thing is, I don't want anyone to ride in my car (I'm sure most feel differently), besides, most chicks get scared shitless anyhow

It sucks when your girlfriend/fiance/wife hate your car dude. Trust me. You want them to at least be ambivalent about it, not hate it haha.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
dude my wife has her own ride and its nice ride lol... im the only one that actually sits in my supra and drives. i was thinking are these wheels pretty light? XXR 527?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Easy way to make a supra light, sell it and buy a 240... its got weight for a reason lol.

If you take away some place you have to put it back in another area. For example, if you get rid of your crash guards as someone pointed out. You would have to put in a full cage for safety. Wouldn' want an engine on your lap would you?

Its going to sound like shit going down the road on a cruise or to and from work.

If its a track ONLY car thats a different story but then again you probably aren't going to keep it that way.

Lexan windows is a starter, windshield and hatch especially, custom subframes, cut out any unneeded supports on the body and weld in a cage, 1 aluminum race seat no cusion, no dash or hvac parts, etc etc You will probably get it down to about 2800 or so but will be one of the worse cars to drive on the streets

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
JPsToyota;1907858 said:
It sucks when your girlfriend/fiance/wife hate your car dude. Trust me. You want them to at least be ambivalent about it, not hate it haha.
Well what sucks even worse is every chick you try dating is either totally unbearable, or a complete nutjob. try that on for size. I want people to hate my car.

Falken;1908151 said:
dude my wife has her own ride and its nice ride lol... im the only one that actually sits in my supra and drives. i was thinking are these wheels pretty light? XXR 527?

yeah, those are pretty light

OneJArpus;1908326 said:
If you take away some place you have to put it back in another area. For example, if you get rid of your crash guards as someone pointed out. You would have to put in a full cage for safety. Wouldn' want an engine on your lap would you?

Its going to sound like shit going down the road on a cruise or to and from work.

If its a track ONLY car thats a different story but then again you probably aren't going to keep it that way.

Lexan windows is a starter, windshield and hatch especially, custom subframes, cut out any unneeded supports on the body and weld in a cage, 1 aluminum race seat no cusion, no dash or hvac parts, etc etc You will probably get it down to about 2800 or so but will be one of the worse cars to drive on the streets

agreed, I just plan on tossing all unnecessary components (you do find a lot of junk if you take the car apart and put it back together) I've done it before, and I'll just have a crap load of of braces, brackets, bolts, nuts.... a literal pile. also a lightweight battery would be good, seats (duh), toss spare... that's about it though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89jdm7m;1908330 said:
agreed, I just plan on tossing all unnecessary components (you do find a lot of junk if you take the car apart and put it back together) I've done it before, and I'll just have a crap load of of braces, brackets, bolts, nuts.... a literal pile. also a lightweight battery would be good, seats (duh), toss spare... that's about it though.

Yes, because you apparently know better than a multi billion dollar company...

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
true about a 240... everything on it breaks lol my friend always fixing it up cuz stuff breaks lol. i havent fixed stuffed on mine for bout 4 years... i do have 1jz single turbo in my supra but i would like to make a bit lighter just not to the point of having super gutted out and looking ugly lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Poodles;1908456 said:
Yes, because you apparently know better than a multi billion dollar company...
apparently you've got an ego the size of the moon, way to show your ass some more.

Let me put it to you simply. I'm a mechanic. My other two friends who help me work on shit/figure out what is useless... yeah one of them is a tuner that's had his hands on too many mk3's to count, and the other one is an engineer. Not a single one of which (including myself) is coming anywhere close to lacking in experience or knowledge.

I regularly come on here and ask questions about what I'm doing because I'm smart enough to know there are still people more knowledgeable and more experienced than I. You just heckle me because I've got a system that works, and you're fucking clueless.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
threaddirection.jpg

Back on topic people.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
89jdm7m;1907659 said:
I'm with mo on this one... safety is not something to take lightly, and you can't really put a price on it either.... whatever you do, don't get any cheaply manufactured seats/brackets. if you even have any suspicions they may be cheap, forget about it, it's not worth it.

personally though, I was going to have my buddy (engineer) fab up some brackets for most likely some lighter toyota seats (out of a turbo 4runner or something) he actually does this kind of stuff except for airplanes... :)

i hope this isnt taking the thread off tipic. why take the seat from a 4runner? why not say from the new FR-S? how light are they? (went threw afew google pages and couldnt find the answer) i liked the way they felt when i test drove it. plus unlike some after market seats and needing a harness you should be able to retain your standard seat belt.

but with lighter seats and good brackets do we have any good brands to go with?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
the turbo 4 runner has cool bucket seats that are lightweight, have adjustable knobs and have matching "turbo" embroidery on the seat to the badges on our mkiii's

p1908760_1.jpg

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Don't gut it whatever you do...I took everything trim related and what not out of mine (see pic below) and all the car wanted to do was wag its tail and spin. 40 rolls were pointless in weather below 60 degrees, and digs were a deff no no, and I'm just a BPU 7M. I'm on saw blades and all season tires though. Get more power and a good suspension set up, as gutting is not worth the slight top end gain.

On the topic of seats, I've heard of people replacing the drivers seat with a non-power passanger seat and supposedly its considerably lighter, doesn't give the 'because race car' look that some people like though, myself generally not included

I took everything out of mine and threw it all back in two months later

uploadfromtaptalk1359085096068.jpg

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
ahhh that makes a lot more sense... I was always left scratching my head when I heard of people doing this.. IE "how the hell you gonna reach the adjustment knobs w/ them jammed against the center console?"

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I am all for the weight reduction. But I treat my car like it is a pure race car. AC pump and all that junk was the first to go. I always am thinking about things at the front of the car I can remove or make lighter. Because the front of the car is where the major weight imbalance is. You ideally want a 50/50 balance for a good handling car. Impossible for a mkiii but that should be the direction you aim for.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
planemos;1908815 said:
I am all for the weight reduction. But I treat my car like it is a pure race car. AC pump and all that junk was the first to go. I always am thinking about things at the front of the car I can remove or make lighter. Because the front of the car is where the major weight imbalance is. You ideally want a 50/50 balance for a good handling car. Impossible for a mkiii but that should be the direction you aim for.

Have you corner weighed your car?