so ive decided...

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
so ive decided... i want to make my supra light. first thing i want to do is get bucket seats. just wondering if i can get sum input on what brand of rails and seats do you guys have in your supra, i will greatly appreciate the input.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Supra and light really shouldn't be in the same sentence with one another.

You can obviously replace the seats, remove the sound deadening material, add some CF stuff, but in the end, unless your interior is completely gutted, she is still going to be a pig.

The only suggestion I have with seats is if you do decide to get an aftermarket set, make sure they are authentic. I've heard horror stories of people using cheap, knock-off seats and having them fail during an accident.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Well, the factory seats are already bucket seats, but you could get lighter bucket seats, and remove the rear bench. But the rear isn't a whole lot, you need to do many things as pointed out already.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
frythan;1907611 said:
Also if you get a harness make sure it's street legal.

Is any racing harness legal for the streets?
I don't think the are where I live, mainly because they limit the ability to shoulder check.

Just something each person will have to look into for his/his local area.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Mo87NA;1907604 said:
Supra and light really shouldn't be in the same sentence with one another.

You can obviously replace the seats, remove the sound deadening material, add some CF stuff, but in the end, unless your interior is completely gutted, she is still going to be a pig.

The only suggestion I have with seats is if you do decide to get an aftermarket set, make sure they are authentic. I've heard horror stories of people using cheap, knock-off seats and having them fail during an accident.

I'm with mo on this one... safety is not something to take lightly, and you can't really put a price on it either.... whatever you do, don't get any cheaply manufactured seats/brackets. if you even have any suspicions they may be cheap, forget about it, it's not worth it.

personally though, I was going to have my buddy (engineer) fab up some brackets for most likely some lighter toyota seats (out of a turbo 4runner or something) he actually does this kind of stuff except for airplanes... :)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Well, if it's not going to be a street car anymore. I'd say completely gut it and use a CF driveshaft and remove all the electric motors. Bumper supports probably weigh quite a bit as well as all the glass on the car. I know the stock seats also weigh a lot. The lightest model of our cars would probably be the 86.5 non turbo hardtop.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
well just replacing the seats alone would be like 115lbs. add a alum driveshaft and a cf hood and a alum flywheel. and id say its a good significant amount just to have off

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
yeah thats good. i am going to gut out the supra, take off all that sound proof and might get a aluminum driveshaft. and some really light wheels... im thinking of going with the starion wheels again, they are so light.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
put i still searching on google and etc for a set of rails and seats. i have a cf hood already but i need to fix it, its all faded and ugly looking =/

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Supras will never be light as they were built as luxury GT cars.

Just the subframes are a huge chunk of the weight.

Keep the creature comforts and increase the power, it's easier (and chicks will still want to ride in your car).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
spoolme;1907671 said:
well just replacing the seats alone would be like 115lbs. add a alum driveshaft and a cf hood and a alum flywheel. and id say its a good significant amount just to have off
New seats have to weigh something so the "gain" is less than a small child in the passanger seat...

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
AbsoluteSpeed;1907636 said:
Is any racing harness legal for the streets?
I don't think the are where I live, mainly because they limit the ability to shoulder check.

Just something each person will have to look into for his/his local area.

I forget the name but there is a company that makes street legal harnesses, they have the retracting ability you feel when you brake suddenly. But they mainly do German cars. And American military tanks. A supra doesn't qualify for either :(

Xbl GT: IK frythan

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Be mindful of where you remove weight. You don't want to throw off the corner weight balance. Seen it to many times with the Honda boys. Gutted rear and they wonder why the back is bouncing around, or breaking loose.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Falken;1907679 said:
yeah thats good. i am going to gut out the supra, take off all that sound proof and might get a aluminum driveshaft. and some really light wheels... im thinking of going with the starion wheels again, they are so light.
you can't really save too much from gutting... most of your weight is in the seats (not rear, those weigh next to nothing), sound deadening, spare. the rest is reinforcement for safety reasons.... sure you can get rid of a lot of it, but I wouldn't go that route if you plan on driving it on the street a fair amount

mecevans;1907838 said:
Be mindful of where you remove weight. You don't want to throw off the corner weight balance. Seen it to many times with the Honda boys. Gutted rear and they wonder why the back is bouncing around, or breaking loose.

shit... hondas tend to do that anyhow, unless you really know what the hell you're doing, or get lucky

IJ.;1907733 said:
New seats have to weigh something so the "gain" is less than a small child in the passanger seat...

not if you only have 1 ;) then it's comparable to your average fit female

Poodles;1907730 said:
Keep the creature comforts and increase the power, it's easier (and chicks will still want to ride in your car).

funny thing is, I don't want anyone to ride in my car (I'm sure most feel differently), besides, most chicks get scared shitless anyhow