Smoke on Warm Up...

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Setup info: Rebuilt the 2JZ-GE in August and have put around 10,000 miles on it since. Replaced all seals, bearings and piston rings.

Well about 8 months ago my car started to smoke like a freight train after it had been running for 3 minutes or so on cold start. After the smoking started it would progressively get worse until it stopped when the car was completely warmed up. After the engine reached operating temperature, there would be no signs of smoking whatsoever. I was getting concerned it was something serious but then it was brought to my attention that I should probably inspect and change my PCV filters... :3d_frown:

I know, I know! I shouldn't be running filters on my PCV system, however I needed to get the car running way back in August for school and I figure as long as I monitor them, I should be okay. Ever since then, the first sign of some weird smoke I would replace the filters and its been a problem solver until recently.

About two weeks ago my car started the typical minor smoke which, to me, implied early signs of the filters needing replacement. After I replaced both of them, the smoking continued and has been getting progressively worse... Let me explain the smoke in somewhat of a time-line as it's hard to explain otherwise...

Cold start
4 minutes pass
Smoke starts lightly
Smoke get's heavy
Car warms up completely
Smoke stops shortly after operating temperature is reached

Previously, this replacing the PCV filters has served as the solution to this smoking issue, however this time, the smoking pattern is exactly the same, however this solution wont work this time...

Strange, delayed valve stem smoking?

Piston rings? I doubt its the rings because I think the car would perform significantly different if that were the case. But I suppose anything is possible... :(

OR is it possible that a PCV valve is clogged?

CLIFFS: Car smokes after (but not immediately) cold start (3 minutes or so) then stops after operating temp is reached. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

-Nick-

P.S. Mods: I know my setup is 2JZ and should probably be in other engine tech but I figure this section gets more traffic and smoking issues tend to be universal. I'm sorry in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
my old 7mge would smoke cause of bad valve stem seals on cold start up. never ran a cold engine if i did even slowly i would have to add oil.

get a good working pcv system. filters have zero vacuum which is needed to pull the pressure out of the engine.

i would say replace the valv stem seals. is it white grayish smoke?

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Don't valve stem seals typically puff immediately off of start up, smoke for a few seconds then stop?

Yeah I know I need to get a better PCV system. Hopefully soon.

Thanks!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
That's something I was a little afraid of. Maybe I can get it rebuilt locally... When I took off the intake pipe there was a little oil at the bottom of the inlet.

Does that pretty much confirm it?

Thanks!

-Nick-

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I would take off the down pipe and see if there is oil in there. I would also pull off the turbo and look in the turbine housing and see if there is any oil leaking down into the manifold.

Then report back.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
are you running a catch can?

It sounds more like a pcv system issue to me....

get a catch can if you dont already have one and make sure you run some fin of throttle body vaccum to it.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
AndyMac;1345748 said:
are you running a catch can?

It sounds more like a pcv system issue to me....

get a catch can if you dont already have one and make sure you run some fin of throttle body vaccum to it.

If it was a clogged PCV it would smoke all the time even when hot.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
I know I need to buy a catch can regardless of if it fixes this or not.

If I start driving it off of cold-start when the stock temp gauge is a bit up from the C mark after it has already started to smoke a tiny bit, after i start driving it goes away... I still need to inspect my turbo. I had the DP off about 4 weeks ago swapping out my exhaust manifold gasket and I didn't notice any oil but it's worth a recheck.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Nick-

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
XofXtimeX;1346223 said:
I know I need to buy a catch can regardless of if it fixes this or not.

If I start driving it off of cold-start when the stock temp gauge is a bit up from the C mark after it has already started to smoke a tiny bit, after i start driving it goes away... I still need to inspect my turbo. I had the DP off about 4 weeks ago swapping out my exhaust manifold gasket and I didn't notice any oil but it's worth a recheck.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Nick-

Symptoms not unlike my 7MGTE which suffered from blown/worn valve Stem seals twice. Was like towing a bonfire of trash before replaceing. I used 2J Vitron seals and did it with head installed both times. Pissed off two girl friends, but do-able with a cooperative assistant. Be prepared to offer massive amounts of inducements.

Good Luck!