smells like rubber burning

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Last night I revved to about 4 to 5 thousand rpm and slipped the clutch, car wouldn't launch like if I dropped the clutch. The smell came when I took it to 3rd gear so I stopped. Can it be my clutch on its way out?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Ties weren't spinning, I drove back to look and saw no tire markings. I know the smell of the tires but I'm just comparing, the smell isn't rubber but I just said smells like rubber because I never smelled anything like that before.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Clutch material is very similar to brake pad material.

If the clutch isn't slipping then it's fine.
If the clutch is engaging and disengaging normally then it's fine.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Clutch is ok, but the smell is there after I drive. I'm gonna change it saturday. hopefully that's the problem.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
if your clutch still engages and disengages properly, and doesn't slip there is no reason to go through all that work not to mention money, to change it.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
tyang82;1842391 said:
Last night I revved to about 4 to 5 thousand rpm and slipped the clutch, car wouldn't launch like if I dropped the clutch. The smell came when I took it to 3rd gear so I stopped. Can it be my clutch on its way out?

when you released the clutch did the rpms go higher
when you say when you took it to 3rd gear...was you moving or standing still?
you more then likely toasted your clutch

here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeNRH87KyY

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
My brakes are good, just did them 2 months ago. My car doesn't pick up like it did the day before. A buddy of mine mk3 4 me its selling me his 6 puck clutch for 60 bucks. I'll do the work myself.
It should be fine with the stock pressure plate and fly wheel correct?

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Might want to learn how to work a clutch before going to a 6 puck, you'll roast it even faster if you can't drive it properly...why you felt the need to dump it that hard to begin with is beyond me.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Just for the excitement of course. I am 30 years old and have been driving for years so I believe I know how to drive with care. Thanks for your concern though.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Lol. No dude, I wasn't trying to destroy the thing. I was burning out my old tires last month just for fun until last night. I just had the urge to launch down the street from my house. 1st gear revved high at low speeds as I slowly let the clutch go. I guess the old stock clutch was on its way out.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yea i think your clutch is on it's way out. Also the smell of clutch likes to stick around for a bit after a good roast.

i would go to autozone and buy the duralast clutch kit for $160 and use the PP and pilot bearing and get a throw out bearing too there about $20

Then take the flywheel to get machined and make sure to point out that the step needs to be machined also.

You can use the Duralast Disc or your buddy's 6puck your choice.

My Duralast disc seems to be holding pretty well and i should be around 375whp and higher torque.

Here is a old video of when my clutch finally started to really let go

[video=youtube;-6eNn6KmDNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6eNn6KmDNU[/video]