smelling coolant from exhaust, what is causing it?

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Ok so run oem, and try to do it as soon as possible, and do valve stem seals as well. Just want to make sure, I should machine the head too in this process right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I can't advise properly because I have never done a OEM headgasket replacement. I am only familiar with the MHG route. I don't believe that you have to machine the head but most of it will depend on what you find when you pull the head. Someone else will have to give you the tips for that.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
It's my opinion that you should always machine the head when doing a head gasket. The block though, you will need to check when you get the head off. If it's in good shape and you're using an OEM type hg you are usually fine just cleaning it up. I get the impression though, that you've run it for a bit with the bhg. My guess is that you're going to find some pitting in your block. Make sure you're going to get a good seal and don't cut corners. Trying to go cheap will almost always bite you in the ass.

Search this site for what you're asking. There are multiple threads that answer your questions.

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
MkiiiAllaDay,
If you noticed, all responses you got have an "if the block deck is good" sentence. So you don't have a known course of action because you don't know block deck condition. I am a proponent of MHG only for 7ms. I don't believe in oem head gasket with any type bolts at any torque for 7m. Therefore, I see whatever option you consider using oem HG as temporary as the problem shall reoccur with oem gasket no matter what.

Therefore, recommend first step is get a DD other than the mk3. Then take the head off and check block deck throughly. Only then you can proceed with HG replacement. If you choose oem, as I said that's a temporary fix. If you choose MHG AND without machining the block deck, then you take a chance of imperfect seal and it could behave like BHG.
If you decide you want to keep the car for years to come, them pull the engine and get it rebuilt properly with MGH, it will be the end of head gasket issues. This the best option in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Alright so I've got another supra turbo in my backyard, I'll probably try to build that engine and swap that in after building, but I just don't have money for stuff right now, and like all you guys presumed before, I do not have the equipment to do so, so I'll have to figure a way, either buy hauling the old car to my girlfriends house, because her dad has equipment or acquire the equipment myself, and yes I would really like to go MHG, just depends on the money I have and right and until prolly next year, I prolly won't have enough to do all of the necessaries to do it properly, I'll definitely have to do a temp fix, but only when I have the time, money and another dd.

Again thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
An OEM Headgasket is totally fine (without lapping the block) provided that your head is straight and your block isn't pitted. If your running stock, its fine and should give you no trouble. Its when your trying to up your HP (adding stress) that you get issues

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Grandavi;1992505 said:
An OEM Headgasket is totally fine (without lapping the block) provided that your head is straight and your block isn't pitted. If your running stock, its fine and should give you no trouble. Its when your trying to up your HP (adding stress) that you get issues

Agreed. I am definitely not nice to mine and it's not stock. I've put some hard miles on it without having any more hg issues. I went with Toyota gaskets. The reason I went with a Toyota head gasket is that my machinist recommended that I do. And he is one of the best. He builds some really high HP motors including diesels.

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
It's also whenever your engine overheats, say due to bad thermostat or cracked radiator tank, then the oem head gasket is likely to blow. The overheating may doesn't have to be for a long time to takeout the gasket. The MHG will survive overheating as I've experienced when I overheated the engine on the race track and didn't have bhg with the Greddy MHG. So it's just the most robust solution, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Well this still my plan, try to fix the car right now when I get the money with the eom, and then with the other motor that is just sitting, try to rebuild it with a MHG, and what not, but until that day I will try to scrounge out the monies to get the eom one done asap

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, ideally MHG, but an oem headgasket will hold provided the head and block are cleaned. On the 7m, it's normally the back two pistons where the failure occurs as most of the heat occurs there so I think the expansion differences between the head and block material is more pronounced. I've often wondered if the EGR plays a small role in that...

Not sure if ARP studs or bolts help on an oem HG.

If you do the oem route, if you can... Replace the valve stem seals. They dry out and it gives the car a blue smoke startup.
Not really a worry, but easier to fix with the head off