smelling coolant from exhaust, what is causing it?

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Hey guys, i have recently been smelling the coolant from my car from my exhaust, like it's being burnt off, and i was wondering if a quick fix would be to check the torque on the head or retorque the head down, and if i have to do either of these, would i need to use rtv to reseal the valve covers?
Any help is appreciated

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your smelling coolant out exhaust and losing coolant in the engine the damage is already done. You have bhg.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
It slowly loses coolant, but basically what you are saying is to get a new head gasket, machine the head, and retorque

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
MkiiiAllDay;1990192 said:
It slowly loses coolant, but basically what you are saying is to get a new head gasket, machine the head, and retorque

As long as it hasn't yet hurt the block. A Toyota head gasket and ARP head studs. But this is dependent upon why the gasket failed. If the block has been machined in the past, it's possible the timing cover was not machined with it. If it's the original head gasket, it most likely failed because the torque specs are homo. Same situation if the gasket was replaced by someone who followed Toyota's specs.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Alright so just get a stock gasket if not machined, but I kinda daily my car and am busy pretty much all week, and have no time to tear it apart, is there an easy way to check the engine if it actually is machined or not

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What newbie said... unless you have already correct the mess the previous owners have left you with, using a MK3 for a DD is not a good idea.

If you run with a bad head gasket (BHG) your going to have the exhaust gases mixing with the coolant forming a bit of corrosion on your block surface that will require you to lap the block to get rid of it.

Ideally, you use a metal headgasket with ARP studs and the head/block prepped PROPERLY. If done like that, you wont have the issue again. Ive seen a lot of ghetto headgasket repairs fail within 6-12 months. It keeps the value down so I can buy em cheap from frustrated owners. :)

sad thing is.. its probably why the car was up for sale.. impending doom ...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I've been dd my mk3's for like 7 or 8 yeArs. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Bhg could be easily fixed in a days time. Remove head take to machine shop. Clean up the block. Put new gasket and machined head on and torque to 75 ft lbs. will be fine. Don't need mls or arp.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you know.. I have heard that story many times.. lol. But unless you have the head off and everything is good (rare event?), you have more than just a headgasket to do about 90% of the time. It depends if you want to do it right or do it quick.

I fell for that quick fix and easy BPU setup early in the game. Your assuming the OP has the tools/garage and talent to pull that off... the initial question tells me that's not really the case here.

If you like the car and can afford the time and $$ and plan on keeping it a long time, there is only one really bulletproof way to do it (assuming its a 7M). But all this depends on what you find when the head is off. We can guess... but that's the best we can do.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Felpro sells a head gasket kit. Comes with all the gaskets needed to do it. Other than that not much else.

Hoses can be replaced afterwards if needed.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
I tried the quick easy fix myself a few months after buying mine. I did everything hvyman is recommending. I didn't know to check the lower timing cover. Less than a year later I had to do it again. But that time I did it the way I now know to be the right way. I've put a lot of miles on it since with no head gasket issues. My Supra is also a daily driver. But I have other vehicles to drive when I either want or need to mess with the Supra. Someone who starts a thread like this will definitely need a different dd.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Alright, thanks guys I'll try and check it out asap

Forgot to mention it was a 7mgte, I've got two supra but one is basically a parts car because my neighbor totaled it by breaking the steering rack (insurance said it was totaled)

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Even a 750.00 beater saves you in the end if you have room to park it. Allows you to deal with the Supra gremlins without risking the car when it's running funny. I would have got rid of mine years ago if it was my DD because the first problems were all age and poor maintenance related. I didn't have a head gasket issue with mine but when I pulled the head to check the guts better, I found a whole mess of problems. Now almost everything in my engine bay is new or rebuilt.

Poor build, age, poor maintenance... That's what causes the most greif.

I was fooled by all the glory stories on this and other forums. The reality is that for reliability you have to fix the age issues external to the motor. For power you have to deal with the internals too. If poorly maintained previous to you, it's all about finding and getting rid of gremlins. To me, it's a worthwhile journey, just don't be fooled by thinking its easy.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
The thing is I'm a college kid and can't afford to leave this car at home because there isn't much room, and there's no other car for me to drive

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I understand that. My son had me buy him a 1988 Supra. Now he's in same boat as you (although, the car isn't busted). I gave him my Tundra to use while I sell the Supra, its just not practical for him.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
everyone has to learn some how...

If your up to the work to change it and think your more than capable of it and have the tools please do. your only going to learn 1 way. I started not knowing much and now i great amount about all kinds of things.

A lot of people say not to or say leave it to professionals. I say go for it if you think you can.

Head needs to be torqued with a quality torque wrench to 72-75 ft lbs with stock bolts. As long as you dont beat the shit out of the engine and treat it nice it will actually last you a long time.

Most people see turbo supra and beat on it and blow it and see junk. Drive it slow and it will last. 7m is not a 2jz and never will be.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
We'll do you think it's possible to have her hold for a little longer till I scrounge out the money to do a head gasket job, the proper way. And also how much would it cost approximately for doing this job if I just plan on doing it myself. (Don't have a mill so obviously gonna take to a shop)
Also if I want to get a MHG I need to machine the block as well, right?

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can do it yourself with a OEM style gasket (non-metal). However, the longer you run it, the more your risking other issues (mostly corrosion issues for the block). You have to lap the block (machine) to a proper smoothness for metal.
Do your valve stem seals at the same time.. they are a pain later on.