Small town car shows

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Last Saturday the small town in which I live (population 30k) held their 10th annual car show. I wasn't able to bring my Supra because it is apart getting ready for paint. There were well over 150 cars but with the exception of two classic bugs an MG and a Lotus, there were no imports. Just wondering if it is the same in your town? Is there some unwritten code that if US muscle is on display don't bring your Toyotas and Nissans?
Sometimes I really miss So Cal.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Don't worry it is the same way here in Ohio. Most of the good car shows only have domestic cars or trucks. I've been looking for a good car show for a while now. I love going to see all of the classic muscle cars (I'd even like to own one some day!), but I'd also like to take my Supra to a show just like you.

SupraTrey

Boost-A-Holic
Dec 16, 2007
Seattle WA
You would be very suprised. Alot of the old gear heads actualy have a hidden passion for IL-6's and the Supra's. Just dont park on the middle of the show and find a nice spot on the outside. You will be suprised on all the people that come over and admire your car. The cleaner your car..... the better.

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I live in Pismo Beach and we just had our annual car show also. I consider this place to be a small town but it does bring in people from some distance. We do get some imports and but it is mostly american classic muscle cars. But amongst all these old cobras, corvettes and chevelles there was a 2000GT. Here are a few photos from 2 years ago. They were taken from my phone so they are not the greatest but still worth seeing. I got some better ones from this year but they are on my camera at home.

4786495127_0039ac0911.jpg

4786495127_0039ac0911.jpg

4787125886_800e448f11.jpg

4787125812_e4b9f78805.jpg

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
M.G and Lotuses are imports. We have a Toyota show here once a year, somewhat small, but never the less it's still a show. Over all it's the same here except for "Hot import Nights"

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
supratrey;1591700 said:
you would be very suprised. Alot of the old gear heads actualy have a hidden passion for il-6's and the supra's. Just dont park on the middle of the show and find a nice spot on the outside. You will be suprised on all the people that come over and admire your car. The cleaner your car..... The better.

qft.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
DAMN, 2000gt..... there aren't alot of those around, never where actually. I live in new hampshire and other than hot import nights at the dragway there isn't shit for import shows. Some shows wont even let you in if you drove up in a supra. I dont care if its got a 502 under the hood. Makes me want to build a 5.0 with a 7m so bad (to sneak in with and get dirty looks lol).

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
DigityD'87;1591887 said:
DAMN, 2000gt..... there aren't alot of those around, never where actually. I live in new hampshire and other than hot import nights at the dragway there isn't shit for import shows. Some shows wont even let you in if you drove up in a supra. I dont care if its got a 502 under the hood. Makes me want to build a 5.0 with a 7m so bad (to sneak in with and get dirty looks lol).

Not a 7M but still a Toyota I6 :)

[video=youtube;qtj7q_l7iZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj7q_l7iZ8[/video]

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
DigityD'87;1591887 said:

Apparently there are only 47 left in the states. I talked to the guy this year and he has owned it since 73. He said the brakemaster/booster went out on it and 81 and he had to park it for 10+ years since he couldn't get a replacement. Some company on the East Coast restored it about 10 years ago.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
so yeah there are a lot of car show around me and many different kinds of car come to any of the shows and its funny to see all the old guys goin "oh look at that jap carp":nono: then they actually spend a lot of time looking at the car and asking all kinds of questions and being very interested it all of it, i think its because they are just used to seeing all the same muscle cars all the time. time to check out the kids stuff i guess:naughty:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Part of being in Utah I'd imagine man. Not much different up here in Wyoming either. Last car show around here I was gonna put mine in, but had a hard time justifying spending $35 on a t-shirt and a parking spot for 5 hours. After browsing the show and seeing nothing but the same old domestics (a *couple* exceptions), including about a dozen cars I could have went to a local dealer and bought that day if I wanted (note to self, cars still in production that aren't over 100k really shouldn't be put in a show), I realized I should have put my Mk3 in, covered in dirt and all. Would have been the ONLY Japanese car there, the only imports at all were 2 Jaguars (including an E-type!), an MG that was real nice, and a 30th anniversary Camaro. Yes, I said a Camaro was an import. Mine was built in Canada, so, technically speaking...

On that note, I miss living in the Phoenix area, for the Scottsdale Pavilions weekly car show. Good stuff, never really knew WHAT might show up that weekend. :)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Yeah i know what you mean. I would like to participate in local shows too but they are only ever Domestic or Euro. I pulled up my Supra once and they turned me around. So i really stopped going out to shows. I wish people were more open minded. I love all cars no matter what make or origin.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
My buddy went to some local car meet with his MKIV and they started throwing rocks at it and spitting at it as he was driving by.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
JDMMA70;1592735 said:
Yeah i know what you mean. I would like to participate in local shows too but they are only ever Domestic or Euro. I pulled up my Supra once and they turned me around. So i really stopped going out to shows. I wish people were more open minded. I love all cars no matter what make or origin.

+1. Why can't people be car enthusiasts rather than segregating everyone into cliques. Just think how much information and new ideas would come from talking with someone that has different interests?

Alec;1592747 said:
My buddy went to some local car meet with his MKIV and they started throwing rocks at it and spitting at it as he was driving by.

Now that's just uncalled for! No matter how much you dislike a car you DON'T do that to something someone has put lots of time, money, and effort into. :nono:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
There is a local weekly meet/car show near me that is all domestic for the first few hours, then the imports start filtering in as the domestics filter out. I my self have not been to the import version, as I would leave when they showed up. There are few respectable imports in my area, its a shame.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Alec;1592747 said:

I'd be in jail if they did that to any car I owned. Some people are just to ignorant for the public! By the way, your car looks amazing! Hope your not taking her anywhere near that car meet lol.