Slipping Clutch HKS Dual Clutch

TrickeyWoo

Gangster
Mar 1, 2008
Lethbridge Alberta CA
Hello
I have a HKS Dual clutch which for the last month or so has slowly gotten worse. It will engage but as soon as i give it more than 1/8 throttle it spins up. The transmission is fine and I just checked the clutch disks and there is still a lot of life left in them. I have a new slave cylinder for the car coming.
I was hoping someone may know of a solution to this problem other than these two. It could be the pressure plate or mabie something else. Please let me know if u have any ideas what it is. The transmission is a R154 and the car is a 90 TT R JDM. Any other questions that may help find the answer will be answered ASAP.
thanks in advance

TrickeyWoo

Gangster
Mar 1, 2008
Lethbridge Alberta CA
We were trying to adjust the pin it when the slave cylinder broke. No engine mods or trasmission mods other than the dual clutch. Clutch has around 12000k or 8000miles on it and compared to the new disks the old ones have lots of life left. When I bought the car it was fine but over the last 2 months or so it has gotten steadily worse. Started to slip under load in forth and 5th gear now its everygear. I have not noticed a wet floorboard but i have not checked for that either. The resiviour for the brake fluid is still full though.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
just think about how a clutch works. The master and slave cylinder only function to disengage the clutch, it is the pressure plate itself that is providing clamping force. So with air in the lines, or a severe leak, you wouldn't be able to disengage the clutch. You're having the opposite problem, it isn't remaining engaged. Some things I would check (aside from friction surface wear...which you mentioned you had checked) are:

Are the pressure plate to flywheel bolts tight?
What condition is the pressure plate in? Perhaps some of the spines have broken/overheated and lost strength
Any oil/coolant/etc. contamination around the clutch area?

TrickeyWoo

Gangster
Mar 1, 2008
Lethbridge Alberta CA
There is a small amount of oil that has leaked from the rear main seal but it has remained at the bottom of the housing. I will have to take the clutch out of the car to check the pressure plate but I am thinking that this is the problem. Next week the clutch is coming out of the car I have only had a look at it through the inspection panel so far. We were trying to adjust the pin to see if we could get the clutch to stop loosing grip.
Do u know if the pressure plate would be different with the HKS clutch or would it be the same one that is used by the original clutch?
If its the same one thats no problem be here in a few days. If it is a specialty one that is specifically for the HKS clutch it will take months to get here. I would be better off installing a new original clutch until the HKS pressure plate gets here. There are only so many days left in the summer :)
Pls let me know what u think
I appriciate the help so far.
thanks

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
TrickeyWoo;1081324 said:
There is a small amount of oil that has leaked from the rear main seal but it has remained at the bottom of the housing. I will have to take the clutch out of the car to check the pressure plate but I am thinking that this is the problem. Next week the clutch is coming out of the car I have only had a look at it through the inspection panel so far. We were trying to adjust the pin to see if we could get the clutch to stop loosing grip.
Do u know if the pressure plate would be different with the HKS clutch or would it be the same one that is used by the original clutch?
If its the same one thats no problem be here in a few days. If it is a specialty one that is specifically for the HKS clutch it will take months to get here. I would be better off installing a new original clutch until the HKS pressure plate gets here. There are only so many days left in the summer :)
Pls let me know what u think
I appriciate the help so far.
thanks

A multi plate clutch is not going to have an oem-style pressure plate

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It may look like there is plenty of life in the disks, but they don't wear down to bare metal like brakes.

They are either worn out or contaminated, either way changing them will fix it.