Sleepy Eye/ Projector Build

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
Great work! I plan to do a retro fit it in the future. Would you happen to have any more in depth pictures of how you mounted the projectors?

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
AbsoluteSpeed;1924199 said:
Looks awesome Dustin!

Can you post a picture of the mounting bracket?
The brackets are really just aluminum strap...
e8a9adur.jpg

Alright so Ive been playing with vacuum forming to create a closed assembly out of the aiming bowl. I havent siliconed anything because the clear lenses come in today. First I vacuum form the rear piece. Then I trim it out of the plastic. Now the projector rear pokes through the hole so as I apply the rear piece I heat the plastic so that it forms around the projector housing. With the brackets and the rear support the projector sits securely.
dube2uje.jpg

u8aha9yn.jpg

y7yhu7e5.jpg

yzy3yzet.jpg

Then using electrical tape I made a screen for the front portion of the vacuum forming. Then I trimmed it and painted it.
9epa5a3a.jpg

varuqe2y.jpg
ydumajam.jpg

Once these are closed then I will place a vacuum formed wind screen on the black trim that will protect the projector glass.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Albert;1924356 said:
He made his own and used a shop vac lol

I'm surprised how well that works. I feel spoiled, I have then use of a thermoformer at work.
Hopefully I'll put it to good use and make some supra parts with it this summer.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
very nice work guys .. just curious as ive searched havent ever come across them . but does anyone make rectangular prismic shaped projectors( not housing actual projector). I think it would give it a more factory look . or are they not made because they wouldnt produce as great of an outcome/output as standard spherical projectors?

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
rodama5anthony;1924441 said:
Very nice! my buddies and i were thinking of making one for school, i know this is off topic but how difficult was it to make?

Super simple. You basically make a low profile box out of wood and put a bunch of holes on the top. Then you drill a hole on the bottom that will hook up to a vacuum. Then place the plastic sheet in the oven for 3-4 min at the right temp. The hole thing cost me 10 bucks at home depot and I had them cut the wood as I dont have a table or circle saw. Ask them to use scrap wood, I got all the wood I needed for less than a dollar.

As for the projectors they will always be circular because the bowl of the projector is a circular cross section and that turns the light parallel as it leaves the lens.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
gurley0916;1924493 said:
Super simple. You basically make a low profile box out of wood and put a bunch of holes on the top. Then you drill a hole on the bottom that will hook up to a vacuum. Then place the plastic sheet in the oven for 3-4 min at the right temp. The hole thing cost me 10 bucks at home depot and I had them cut the wood as I dont have a table or circle saw. Ask them to use scrap wood, I got all the wood I needed for less than a dollar.

As for the projectors they will always be circular because the bowl of the projector is a circular cross section and that turns the light parallel as it leaves the lens.

did you seal the box to make sure it was air tight with a silicon sealant or a wood sealant of some sort?

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Alright now that I have the projectors closely aimed I will seal them up tomorrow. Kinda disappointed with the driver side, It does not have a clean cut off even with the clear lens like the passenger side.

ruja6ary.jpg

Brights

gaqyma3y.jpg