Single turbo 1J?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just the VVTI 1j, nothing particularly special. The JZ series was basically Toyota's small block equivalent to the rest of the world... Just because they stopped making the Supra doesn't mean the JZ was killed off. ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They dont. The 1j went to like 02 or 05 or something like that tho. SOmething like 12-15 years. 2jz was close to the same amount. Long time for 1 engine in multiple cars.

Nowadays newer motors are coming out every few years. Yet gm keeps using the same ol small block with great results year after year.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I wouldn't be surprised to see a successor to the 2j someday, if Toyota ever returns to making sports cars. However, in cars like the Crown, Aristo, etc, they can make respectable power with a more modern V6. Much as I love them, inline 6 engines are long and heavy, and shorter, lighter engines are more suited for sporty handling. Time will tell however... for comparison's sake, GM used their Gen 3 small block v8 for close to (if not longer then, I certainly wasn't around) 3 decades. The LS series (Gen IV small blocks) are STILL being used with no signs of needing replaced, some 15 years after the debut of the C5 Vette.

Now, that said, I would LOVE to see what GM could do with an LS7 based quad cam, 20 valve cylinder head. And no, I didn't mistake the number of valves there. ;)