Silver spark plugs?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Hi guys. I am trying to get some info on whether silver spark plugs are a waste of money or not. I am considering buying an MSD ignition box/adapter/coil and would like to be able to get the best spark out of my near-30 year old ignition system as possible. I had been under the impression silver was the best electrical conductor, but I guess that doesn't matter for spark plugs?
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?63056-Silver-Spark-Plugs

Can anyone provide some insight or experience with these before I blow $60 on plugs and $277 on Nology wires :aigo:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Tanya;1733788 said:
Hi guys. I am trying to get some info on whether silver spark plugs are a waste of money or not. I am considering buying an MSD ignition box/adapter/coil and would like to be able to get the best spark out of my near-30 year old ignition system as possible. I had been under the impression silver was the best electrical conductor, but I guess that doesn't matter for spark plugs?
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?63056-Silver-Spark-Plugs

Can anyone provide some insight or experience with these before I blow $60 on plugs and $277 on Nology wires :aigo:

nology wires do work as they claim but will you notice a diff most likely not but they do look pretty neat

only time hot systems are needed is high comp motor's or boosted or poor ign system to begin with

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Well my engine is running around 230psi in every cylinder, so I had considered it a high compression motor which I figured may need a better ignition/plugs/wires than the standard crap I'm running.

For the life of me, I cannot get a compelling argument out of anyone why I should or shouldn't.... more than 2/3 replies would be nice. I kn ow there's some smart, experience people on here.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Plugs by themselves won't increase performance/ give a bigger spark...

Usually when you increase the "Zap" going in, plugs will wear out very quickly so a more durable material is needed, hence platinum and irridium plugs.

I don't know anything about "silver plugs" but I'd listen to JetJock if he say's they're snake oil I wouldn't touch them.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I wouldn't spend that much on Nology wires. For most cars a set of NGK plug wires will work excellent... but if you really want to spend a fortune on plug wires I would recommend Magnecor Competition KV85 plug wires.... I always had good results with these on turbo engines. They have the best insulation of any plug wire I've ever used. I've never had one leak spark.