SILV09 - Cancelled

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
GrimJack;1270795 said:
Had a great time there last year, Keith. Unfortunately, I had to switch employers this year, so I don't think I can swing enough vacation time to come again this year. :( Maybe 2010 though! :D

You should have read the announcement before posting, haha.

Jeff

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
any way to start like a donations type thing to make it happen? or is it a straight no go? if the economy and business picks up do you think it might happen?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Keith, sorry to hear that. But you gotta do what you gotta do. It's hard enough as it is year after year even with the sponsors, so I can see how its nearly impossible without them. But hey, look on the plus side. My car might actually be done for the next one in 2010. Maybe.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
With enough people interested couldnt something be aranged? Couldnt we use lead local venders to drive the program maybe like DM & 935 for mkiii & power house or who ever is around for MKIV locals in the area. Couldnt we do a drive & shine nearly free & buy a lot for really cheap four houre or two?

I am sure maybe get import tuner or some magazines set up a post for free storys to write on something.

We shouldnt give up so easily on a celibration tradition.
I think SILV should open things up for discussion & see how to make it a buisness & successful event work despite current economic hardships.::salute::
headbanger.gif

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
We should all consider doing it underground style like a "flash mob" on Craigslist.

Only we should schedule a few events like the Dyno and to join the Corvette or Viper club at the drag races.

I was going to look into contacting the local SCCA club and seeing if they were interested in officiating a "Supras only" autocross, some of them will design a course that lets you get to the top of 3rd gear, those are always fun.

As for Scenic drives and stuff like that we could appoint a motivated individual to coordinate it and see how that goes. Im sure it would degenerate into a street race, Er I mean I hope it wouldn't degenerate into a street race.:evil2:

As for the Poker tournament, you can always designate a place and a time for the whole Supra crew to take over a table.

As for the Banquet, or awards we could either forgo the awards or make them a cheap printed sheet. Either way if we designated a time and place Im sure we could take over any restaurants back room with as many people that would show up if they knew where to show up. Who would turn us away if we were buying drinks and a meal/appetizers.

Who says we cant still have an unofficial meet grassroots/underground style?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Thanks for all the kind words. Trust me... this was not an easy decision to make and I felt like I got kicked in the stomach today when the announcement was finally found on the SILV09 website.

Comments have been posted in a few places like "but we paid for our own dyno and drags right? so why not just do that?"

SILV was nearly cancelled in 2000 due to a lack of sponsors (the person that signed up to be the sponsor coordinator didn't make any calls and I didn't realize until it was too late). I contacted a few of the top members in the community and they all said they just wanted a place to come together. That is what we did in 2000 and there are still people out there cursing my name for that.

Try to look at this from our perspective. Think about having something AMAZING one year and the next year (or two) don't even compare. That is what happened in 2005, 2006, and 2007. Imagine how that would feel knowing that you had something GREAT and now you watch it slip away year after year.

ARZ - Please note that SILV started as a grassroots/flashmob deal. SILV97 was just a "hey... let's all hang out in Vegas for the weekend." No sponsors, no shirts, not even an official drag race.

Also, you have to keep in mind that many people are choosing to participate in the SILV event on an every other year basis. This means that any given year we will never see everyone that should be there. We've often talked in the core group of moving SILV to an every other year program anyway.

I love the dedication and the response I've already seen in just a few hours since this announcement went public.

There is a way to salvage this year's event but unfortunately it would involve someone cutting me a check for the entire budget and having them go out and collect sponsors to recover their investment. Since I don't see that happening this year, we made the tough choice to skip unlucky #13.

I hope you will all take this year off with me and take the time to really get those Supras up to amazing levels and I look forward to seeing SILV10 smashing ALL Supra event records!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i vote we just have a mass gathering of supras in vegas and dont worry about the glits and glamour of having the dyno/drag/ect we should all just hang out and bbq or something... i realize some people would be like wtf is the point then... but whatever...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I want to go to Vegas this summer/fall whether it is a sponsored event or not.

I'd be down for a grassroots meet of some sort. IE, Everyone meet at this place at this time on this day and we'll all go for a drive...

Even though, there wouldn't be many people to actually show for a low budget meet, ITS STILL FREAKIN VEGAS!!! If you can't enjoy a weekend in Vegas you might have problems...

Last year was honestly the BEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE. No exaggeration. Scenic drive, drag races, blackjack, alcohol, more Supras than I've ever seen in my life all at one time overtaking the Strip... F_ING amazing.

Anyone that hasn't gone needs to get their ass out for the next official SILV. It's a sight to behold.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
atleast make it a meet. bbq wat eve virtual works and final stage are out here lets just set up a drag and a crusie with a bbq/meet between. who cares about sponsors there cool and all but lets just keep the tradition going and meet up and see what happens. just put up a donations or something, ill pitch in and im sure other will too. i missed last year but seemed like it was big but if we can just get the cars together that would be just as good. its more about the cars and people than about sponsors. who ever can make it makes it. ya know.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Keith,
What would the cost of the Show and Shine need to be increased to to make that part self supporting? Would you need to go up to $50.00 per entry?

Also I will talk to jack about the t-shirts for this year, maybe we, SupraSport, would buy all of the shirts that you did not sell. That way you will not be out any money from your own pocket.

Jack will get some sponsors to help cover the cost of the show and shine, he did a good job of it last year. For the smaller independent shops, may be a lesser amount will help pull them in and may be other small shops will follow along

This is only a start for ideas on how to cover cost, I am sure others will come up with some good ideas on how this might still happen.

I did like the hotel that you pick out for SILV9, may be they will cut their room price with the way things are going.

Greg Clark

Last edited: