Sign in for Alabama Supra's rollcall

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Trying to make it to Barber this sometime after lunch.

Welcome Fred. Good Luck with getting her in "sound shape"

I second the motion to have some kind of meet in the next month or so.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Does anybody have a working JZ drive belt tensioner? Mine has begun to make this hilarious knocking sound in the morning.

When is a good day and place? Discuss.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Welcome Fred!

dogdrake;1547591 said:
Here is some pics.It's a little dirty.(not that kind of dirty)LOL
p1548410_1.jpg

p1548410_2.jpg

p1548410_3.jpg

I must say I approve...........(can I say that while crying on the inside?)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Welcome to the site Fredrick. Good luck with your car.

Awesomeness personified Chuck!!!!!!!!

Mogil, I have the lines out if yoiu want to come get them. My number is 205-243-0622. give me a call and I can give you my address.

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
My fuel woes might be coming near an end. :D

Yesterday I took my fuel tank to a radiator shop here in Montgomery, with hopes to get it cleaned and lined. The owner said that since the tank has a plastic baffle in it, the liner will just peal off in short time. It would therefore make a mess in the tank, pump, lines, and so on. He suggested to try Auto Recyclers (junk yard). So I called over there and, as luck would have it, they actually have a couple mk3s on the lot. So I drove over there to check it out. Their most recent acquisition was a white NA (don't recall the year), that had been repo'd a few weeks ago. I was pretty optimistic when he told me that, since that likely means the car has been operational recently.

I'm buying the tank and all of the internals from them for $80. :bigthumb: I'm gonna call this morning to see if I can get the fuel lines also.

I might actually have this POS running sooner than I had thought. :x:

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
Pell City, Alabama, United States
attachment.php
Name:Terry Winfrey
Year of car:1990
Contact info:205-362-6306
City you live in:pell City
Hobbies:modifing somthing (Drives my wife nuts!)
Upgrades to your car: none yet, CURRENTLY converting a 7MGE to a 7MGTE (Lots of Drill & Tapping involved) yes it can be done a close friend done the same to his about 6 years ago! im building off his build notes and my machineing knowlege (will post pics as soon as i find my flash drive)

Last edited:

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
Here's a little update on my rebuild:

As I mentioned last time, I found a fuel tank and some hard lines at Auto Recyclers in Montgomery. Snagged everything for around $100. When I got home with the tank, I immediately opened it up to have a peak inside. My dad has a pretty handy inspection camera, so I was able to really get in there to look around. The tank is absolutely spotless! All of the walls look great and the internal hardware is still nice and shiny! :bigthumb:

This past Friday afternoon I finally finished hooking up the hard lines. I never knew those things are such a bitch to install! Getting them to line up in the retainers and the fittings was tough to say the least. After that I got the tank installed, then called it a night.

Saturday morning I got back to work. I double-checked fluids, electrical connections, vacuum hoses, etc., then poured some gas in.

First try: crank...crank...crank...sputter...crank...sputter. ..stop trying for a few seconds.
Second try: crank...sputter...crank...slight sign of life...crank...IGNITION! :icon_mrgr...choke down :icon_frow.
Third try: crank...ignition...rough, slow idle for about five seconds...choke down.
Fourth try: crank...crank...ignition...sputtering idle for about a minute...then, as things started warming up, it smoothed out nicely. :icon_bigg

I let it sit and idle until the coolant cycled one or two times, then switched it off. I then proceeded to burp the coolant system, refill trans fluid, and make sure the oil stayed kosher.

I can crank it up now, but I'm still at least few days from drive-ability. Here's a list of things that need immediate attention:

• * Brake master cylinder needs attention. It was bone dry, and didn't respond favorably to a cleaning and fresh fluid. It just kept blowing bubbles in the reservoir; even after an in-car bench bleed. I just called O'Reilly a few minutes ago to get a re-manufactured master cylinder. Picking it up Wednesday.
  • I'm almost certain one of the VSV's needs to be replaced. I know that the wires aren't connected to one, because they broke away from the connection during the rebuild. Unfortunately I'll probably have to pull the intake manifold back off to get to it.
  • I need to check for vacuum leaks too. Even after the car was warmed up, it didn't respond well at all to throttle activity. Also, I couldn't rev past about 2-2.5k rpm. Of course that could be related to the VSV mentioned above.
  • I need to run some tests on the cold start injector. If I can get that fixed, the start-up should become MUCH easier.
  • I need a neutral safety switch so I can drive without throwing transmission codes...when the time comes to drive it.

Overall, I'm very satisfied so far. Sure, it would have been rad-tastic if everything just worked the first time I cranked the car. But with the history of this rebuild so far, I think this past weekend was a success.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Congrats on start up!!!!!

It sounds like you are progressing normally. As for the not revving past 2.5K, you may want to test the AFM per TSRM. That is a classic sign of a bad AFM. Did you happen to clean it while waiting to get to this point?

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
Name: R. W. Marsh
Year of car: 1987 Hardtop
Contact info: 256-489-6234 (r45marsh@aol.com)
City you live in: Huntsville
Hobbies: Wasting time & Money! Also restoring '46 Chevy 1/2T
attachment.php
[/IMG]
Upgrades to your car: Restored Interior, New spring for gas door, windshield sprayers, TRD shift knob. I'm sure this has raised my BHP.

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
ForcedTorque;1556179 said:
Congrats on start up!!!!!

It sounds like you are progressing normally. As for the not revving past 2.5K, you may want to test the AFM per TSRM. That is a classic sign of a bad AFM. Did you happen to clean it while waiting to get to this point?

Thanks for the tip! No, I didn't think to clean it prior to start up. I did do the electrical tests on the meter though. Maybe it's just dirty...I'll test it again to be sure.

About this VSV issue...how critical are these things for a happy engine? The one towards the front of the engine is damaged. Is this the fuel pressure-up VSV or the Intake Air Control VSV? Or is it the same thing? Reference.

r45marsh;1556367 said:
Name: R. W. Marsh
Year of car: 1987 Hardtop
Contact info: 256-489-6234 (r45marsh@aol.com)
City you live in: Huntsville
Hobbies: Wasting time & Money! Also restoring '46 Chevy 1/2T
attachment.php

Upgrades to your car: Restored Interior, New spring for gas door, windshield sprayers, TRD shift knob. I'm sure this has raised my BHP.

Nice truck dude! My dad has a '49 GMC that he had planned on restoring. He bought it in running condition (original I-6 and "granny" 4-speed), with nice burgundy paint, and a straight body. he even bought a chevy 327 to swap into it. However, the brakes needed an overhaul pretty badly. So he put it up on blocks to work on the brakes...then he lost time and never finished (try not to hate too much, my dad really is overloaded with stuff). At the time, I was too young to understand how to finish the job for him. And now, it's become a pretty big undertaking. :( Sadly, this is how it sits today...about 12 years later:
p1556434_1.jpg

Please don't let yours do the same!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Mowgli87;1556434 said:
Thanks for the tip! No, I didn't think to clean it prior to start up. I did do the electrical tests on the meter though. Maybe it's just dirty...I'll test it again to be sure.

Oh shit!!!!!!! That wasn't meant as a tip! Cleaning the AFM could be the cause of not revving past 2500. Cleaning can damage the electronics.

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
ForcedTorque;1560750 said:
Oh shit!!!!!!! That wasn't meant as a tip! Cleaning the AFM could be the cause of not revving past 2500. Cleaning can damage the electronics.

OOHHH!!! HAHAHA! Well, it's a good thing I have a serious problem with procrastination. I haven't done anything besides the TSRM electrical tests thus far. :D

I also tested the TPS, and I think it needs a little adjusting. I'm pretty sure the vacuum lines for the brake booster are shot too.

I've found myself in a bit of an annoying situation with start up. The cold start circuit is on the fritz and the fuel pressure up VSV wires are broken. So, the car is hard to start when it's cold AND when it's hot. Electrical issues are frustrating. :: angry ::

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Well, how I have never posted my car in here is a surprise to me, but a lot of folks in this thread already know me or have seen my car, but if you haven't, my name is Keylan and I drive the Yellow MKIV if you have ever seen it on one of the rare occasions I get to take it out. Hopefully I will start driving it around a lot more soon.

-Name: Keylan Smith
-Location: Corner/Warrior AL on the weekends when I can (which is where the car is currently at) and Tuscaloosa during the week for school and work
-Cars: 1997 Toyota Supra N/A Targa Top Yellow, 2003 VW Golf GTI 1.8T, 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback with AWD 4g63 swap, 1992 Mazda Miata
-Hobbies: Building cars, learning as much as I can about the stuff I don't yet know about cars, fabrication, drag racing, anything else with cars
-Mods to Supra: 6-speed swap, Full Defi-Link BF gauge setup (boost, egt, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, fuel pressure), 18x9 F 18x11 R BSA Wheels, Engine bay wire tuck/fuse box relocation/battery relocation.

Full build thread can be found here

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583462

p1564021_1.jpg

p1564021_2.jpg

p1564021_3.jpg

p1564021_4.jpg

p1564021_5.jpg

Before engine bay clean up/wire tuck work

p1564021_6.jpg

After (no pics of the battery relocation yet)

p1564021_7.jpg

All my 6-speed swap stuff

p1564021_8.jpg

p1564021_9.jpg

4480992878_d87e0b79b5_o.jpg

No pics of these installed yet, but they look awesome!!!! :D

p1564021_10.jpg