Side mount camera view. Burnout, etc.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I picked up a suction cup camera mount from ChaseCam, and tried it out today. My camera is an old school canon Elph and runs out of memory after just a few minutes so it got cut off near the end.

The door makes for a nice mirror, and you can see Duane and a couple of buddies as I smoke by. :)

I was surprised to see how much my wheel moves around in the video. Are the rear wheels supposed to toe in that much as they move upwards? Are my bushings shot? With the camera mounted to the door, it creates the illusion that suspension/car isn't moving much at all, but if you look at the top of the tire, it is moving up and down a fair bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJeeyqfwH8

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
thats the car moven not the wheel for the most part but

but i bet your lower arm bushing is shot it's in the rear knukle it's a comon prob that is all ways over looked i replace mine on my car chould feel it toe in and out wheil heavy conering

it simple as piss to fix as well and not stuiped exp

pretty sure it's that one it suppost to felx back and forth but the plastick liner inside were out and you get toeing in and out

and is not in the enrgey polly kit

p1248984_1.jpg

Last edited:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
nice car, but i was expecting a better burnout. the camera angle is sick though. i would like to see a nice rolling burnout with some sideways action.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Thanks Ryan. I'll be sure to replace those when I go full poly very soon!

Duane: No prob. The day was so nice, I was itching to go somewhere instead of doing the work I had planned. Hope I didn't scare you too much, now that you know how I really drive... :D

Black 89t: The burnout was in a narrow alley and it did slide a fair bit, but with the camera fixed to the car, it's not as noticeable when the car goes sideways, unless you really watch the background. But I plan to do more video, and one last burnout for that. I'm not in a hurry to eat up these pricey tires. ;)

We're also talking about making an epic Duane/Ron/Kwnate/tekdeus video, of our cars tearing it up from various angles!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
tekdeus;1249027 said:
Thanks Ryan. I'll be sure to replace those when I go full poly very soon!

Duane: No prob. The day was so nice, I was itching to go somewhere instead of doing the work I had planned. Hope I didn't scare you too much, now that you know how I really drive... :D

Black 89t: The burnout was in a narrow alley and it did slide a fair bit, but with the camera fixed to the car, it's not as noticeable when the car goes sideways, unless you really watch the background. But I plan to do more video, and one last burnout for that. I'm not in a hurry to eat up these pricey tires. ;)

We're also talking about making an epic Duane/Ron/Kwnate/tekdeus video, of our cars tearing it up from various angles!

Brad, I will ask you that when you get in my car soon. It is a requirement to wear pampers when in the passenger seat of my car, just so you know. :biglaugh:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Today I lifted the car up and tried to move the wheel with all my strength, and I can only move it about 1mm, and everything looks to be OK. I guess 350-400hp and stock rubber bushings don’t get along!! Full polyurethane has now moved higher up on my to-do list! How else could someone know that it moves that much under acceleration, unless they put a camera right there?!

This is my mount from ChaseCam.com. The 3 suction cups are quite strong. I could have put a tether on it, but then if it came off, it would do a number to my paint. A new camera might be cheaper!

IJ: I think your fans want to see this kind of footage of your car too :)
sm30.jpg

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
When you jack the car up,try to put another jack under the tire itself and just barely take some weight off the tire,this will unload tension from the springs,may see some movement then.An old friend showed me this to check my ball joints,lifted the car up,seemed fine,put the second jack under the wheel and lifted slightly,felt like it would damn near fall off the joints were so sloppy.
And cool video,car is definitely one of the best looking MK3's known to man,as impressive cosmetically as Ian's is mechanically.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Excellent vid.
Other people with cams should also do some good angles like this. (you know who you are)
Use your cams people! :D

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
:evil2:
upgradedsupra;1249226 said:
Brad, I will ask you that when you get in my car soon. It is a requirement to wear pampers when in the passenger seat of my car, just so you know. :biglaugh:

I don't need no stinking pampers!

I watched twice. Waiting for the touted video.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Brad, it is normal for the rear wheels to toe in when the suspension compresses.. It is a geometry design aspect call Roll Underster. Just like just stated, engineers design rear suspenesion cause the rear wheels to toe in when in compression and toe out when in rebound. The opposite happens in the front typically. The reason for this is that its is understood in automotive safty that understeer is safter (more controlable) then oversteer by most drivers. The impliment this to force the car to never turn ever so slightly less then the drivers asks it to. This makes it far less likely to have to read step out on you.

I doubt that what your seeing has anything to do with worn bushings. A worn bushing would cause excessing deflection while cornering and in you video, I can see the toe change is about the same while going in a straight line as when cornering when the suspension compresses.

Deflection understeer and oversteer is not commenly seen in rear suspension setups cause of the use of twin lower arms instead of a single A are like the front. In front setups, this is a common thing cause of the single lower A arm. Deflection Understeer in the front is set up by putting the steering gear ahead of the axle centerline. If it was installed behind the axle centerline, when the bushing compress due to side loads induced from cornering force, it causes the front wheels to toe into the corner thus causing the wheels to be turned into the corner. By having the steering gear ahead of the axle centerline, when the bushing compress from the side loading, this will cause the front wheels to toe away from the corner thus being concidered as understeer.

The reason the read doesn't do this while cornering is because the toe control is not rigid like it is in the front. Now if you were to put a rigid pivot like a heim joint in only one lower arm in the rear and not the other, then you would see deflection under or over steer depending on which rear lower arm you installed the heim joint in.

One thing to note with rear deflection steer (or deflection toe chance) is that it is oposite of the front with the rigid joint location relitive to axle centerline. Basically, in the front, a rigid toe control member ahead of axle centerline causes deflection understeer, behind axle centerline causes deflection oversteer where as in the rear, a rigid toe control member ahead of axle centerline causes deflection oversteer, behind the axle centerline causes deflection understeer.