Side exit exhaust...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
WillWorkFoBoost;1807903 said:
I have my ext. wastegate dump out through the hood.....haha does that count?
What happens to the wastegate if you're parked in the rain for a bit? :aigo:

To the OP, I've seen a few people put a 30-45° elbow on the end of the downpipe, dump it out under the passenger door before, but those were all cars that lived exclusively on the track. We don't have much clearance under the middle of the body for exhaust, so putting a muffler on the downpipe and side-piping it isn't likely to work well without a bit of creativity.

If you don't mind the noise though, knock yourself out. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I have thought about it, but it would be pretty hard on lowered car and it whould have to be twin since the pipe will have to be like 3 to dule 2.25 tip

and then keeping it form looking hill billy

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
87M-GTE;1807947 said:
Group A supras were side exit exhaust.

minolta-supra09.jpg

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
^Awesome!!! :)

Well, my car is NA so it will have to have at least a resonator and muffler of some kind, otherwise it will be just way too loud. Also not going bigger than 2.5" piping. There are various pipes/tips designed for low-clearance as well. Not looking for side-pipe, just side exit in front of the rear wheel (on either side). A discreet long rectangular nascar-like tip can be used or a flattened turn-down tip maybe. My car will remain stock height as well so there is a little room to play with. There are quite a few low-profile mufflers on the market...

I probably won't go with side exit, but I'm always lookin to do something different and was just curious if anyone had done this on a MK3 before. I've had side-exit on my 94 cavalier V6, 89 chev 1500 pick-up, and my 2000 civic SiR (Si in the US). Main reasons was because it was different and kept the cost down, not having to make the rest of the system from the axle-back.

Will most likely build a full length system with a resonator and either a hushpower muffler (this:http://www.amazon.com/Hushpower-13016101-Pro-Center-Out-Moderate/dp/B001M4FIJQ/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1330030777&sr=8-29) or a cherry bomb vortex muffler (this: http://image.hotrod.com/f/9632274/113_0701_13_z+cherry_bomb+vortex_muffler.jpg). I've used the vortex muffler a few times on several different vehicles and absolutely LOVE the way they sound. But I love the look and sound of the hushpower as well... Decisions, decisions... :aigo:

antigram

May 30, 2010
breda
I've had a side exit on the left side of my car, but it was sitting too low so i just cut it off and now it stops underneath the car at the front. I can't recommend it if you want to lower your car

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I just went 3" O.D. side exit on my car, not lowered though and still gotta make one bracket (mech wired up at the moment) gonna mate it to my BIC DDP when I get it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Welds could be better, but it was the first time I ever touched a MIG welder.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Skeezix;1808074 said:
I just went 3" O.D. side exit on my car, not lowered though and still gotta make one bracket (mech wired up at the moment) gonna mate it to my BIC DDP when I get it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Welds could be better, but it was the first time I ever touched a MIG welder.

I assume your car is turbo? How does it sound?

Mine is NA, not planning on lowering.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MPR;1807969 said:
I've had side-exit on my 94 cavalier V6
Hi-five of shame from a former fellow 94 Cavalier owner! *

joel903;1808126 said:
Didnt hommersimpson on here have a side exhaust on his spaceship supra?
Easier to just answer questions like this by checking the "what didn't he have on that car?" list... :nono:

87M-GTE;1808218 said:
TRD Built Group A Supra Downpipe:aigo:
That... is pretty awesome, I gotta say.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
te72;1808259 said:
Hi-five of shame from a former fellow 94 Cavalier owner! *

Haha, I hear ya... :)

This cavalier had quite an interesting history... I originally built a rear-mount turbo setup on that cavalier. Yes, the snail was hanging under the rear bumper where the muffler once lived with miles of pipe running back to the engine with pieces of rad-hose clamped together. It was beyond ghetto, but it actually worked. The oiling system with the turbo was the most difficult thing and is what caused the death of the project, ultimately. No engine management, just stock ecu with fuel injectors from a supercharged 3800 series II V6 and an edelbrock FMU. Installed a noisy inline MSD fuel pump to boost pressure... It was hilarious, but actually ran great. Ran upwards of 10-12psi at times with a junk-yard K26 turbo from an old Audi. Oh, those were the days... I had no clue what I was doing, but learned quickly, the hard way...lol. Confused the heck out of a lot of people when I was able to easily pull away from cars that should have been MUCH quicker...lol. Completely stealth!

After I bought my civic I moved the turbo up to the engine bay in the cavy, gutted it and took it to the J-body bash back in '06 where I qualified in the quick-8. It began to rain before we could run the finals, but making the quick 8 was good enough for me. :) After that I couldn't seem to get it started again, so off the the scrap yard it went. I will try to find some pics and post them up later...