Shudders and bucks when under 3k...

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Ok so I was thinking today about why I hate driving my car.

Issue #1:
My car slightly shudders and bucks when in 1st and 2nd gear and the rpms are below 3k. (Think stop and go traffic type situation)

BTW my car idles at around 600 but its choppy. Maybe a timing issue?

(When I did the headgasket I set it to TDC when I put it back together and never messed with it since. Is someone about to slap me?)

Issue #2:
My tranny feels soooo harsh! Its a W58 for crying outloud! I guess it might need the fluid changed?

Issue #3:
There is no boost. That's all.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Have you thought about just taking your car to a repair shop and getting it looked at if you cant solve the problems yourself? There is no reason to drive a car that you hate to drive because its messed up. I like to do my own work but that hasnt stopped me from taking somewhere when I was totally stumped. Its just a thought.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
theWeezL;1019497 said:
Have you thought about just taking your car to a repair shop and getting it looked at if you cant solve the problems yourself? There is no reason to drive a car that you hate to drive because its messed up. I like to do my own work but that hasnt stopped me from taking somewhere when I was totally stumped. Its just a thought.

Well honestly I haven't even tried to solve the problems cause I'm away at school and only drive it every once and awhile. I think the first issue MAY be timing since it hasn't been timed since the HG and the second issue is prob. just the fluid in need of changing.

So I'll check the timing and do new fluid when I get home in about a week.

Just trying to get opinions and maybe some insight that is better than mine. :naughty:

PS: My repair shop is my garage at my parent's house. Nowhere else.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
It should be timed for sure, but I kinda doubt thats the issue. My initial inclination would be to lean towards fuel. Also a thorough exam of the hoses and vac lines would be a good idea.

Your w58 may just be hammered but if anything is gonna resurrect it I would say changing the fluid and using redline MT-90 would be a good place to start. Hope that helps.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
+1 for Fuel

My car is doing this as well right now. Mine is turbo with a bunch of upgrades. I'm assuming it is related to my AFC-NEO settings on my fuel. I think it's gonna take a knowledgeable tuner to get me out of it.

I would also get the timing dialed in right if you haven't done that since the BHG.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Timing is certainly important, I guess it depends on how far off it is. Since you know its not set properly you should definately start there, but Im skeptical its the root of your problem.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
+2 fuel
Had a similar problem in my car that was solved very easily. It was kind of an overlook on my part. One of my injector clips was loose and would make the car shudder as you said. Check to make sure they are all plugged in 100%. Hopefully that is it.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
+3 fuel. I had my timing WAAAAYY off at 1 point and it didnt really do much interestingly enough.
If you know your are off though, definately rectify that. Then start checking your fuel filter, FRP, and possibly pull the fuel rail and put in a bucket and check the injectors firing