Should I Hercules it?

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
well being very stubborn and very impatient, i went ahead and installed my 580 PTE injectors, aeromotive FPR, lexus AFM and soon to install my S-AFC and wideband. HOWEVER, i left myself a nice full tank of 92 octane fuel. I didn't want to wait to install my goodies so i decided to rip it apart and install the goods. I have right beside me my Walbro 255 and i'm not sure if i should go ahead and try to install it with that much fuel in the tank.

So should i just go ahead and run the car as is and try to burn as much fuel as possible? i've read it's ok to run the car with the lexus afm/550/fpr without the walbro. Should i do it??

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
true that grim, besides getting that tank of with a full tank ain't no fun. Run it almost empty before you do that job cause iirc you're gonna need to drop the tank and be prepared for rusty straps, mounts, tubing, etc.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
walbro fuel pump $100
tools to drop the tank $50
buddy to take video while you crush yourself with the full tank of gas PRICELESS

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
i had the same problem when i got my pump in, but i didnt have the luxury of running it out due to the stock pump in the car was dead.i just went ahead and cut a small section out of the inside of the trunk right about the fuel pump useing the sending unit spot as a giude to tell me where the pump was. now i an acess both my pump and sending unit to the gas gauge for inside the trunk.no more dropping gas tanks for me again.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
some cars (like mine for example) aren't as easy to work on as others. much of this is dependent on where you live.

i live in upstate NY, and we use lots of road salt here, so there are things on my car that are rusty, or just plain out not going to come off.

i tried using the large drain on the bottom of the tank, but the metal around the tank started twisting before it broke loose. i only had about 5-8 gal left, so i just dropped it like that by holding it up with my knees, then sliding it to my chest, and to the ground. not fun, but it worked.

i used a floor jack to get it back up.

-shaeff

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
derK said:
well being very stubborn and very impatient, i went ahead and installed my 580 PTE injectors, aeromotive FPR, lexus AFM and soon to install my S-AFC and wideband. HOWEVER, i left myself a nice full tank of 92 octane fuel. I didn't want to wait to install my goodies so i decided to rip it apart and install the goods. I have right beside me my Walbro 255 and i'm not sure if i should go ahead and try to install it with that much fuel in the tank.

So should i just go ahead and run the car as is and try to burn as much fuel as possible? i've read it's ok to run the car with the lexus afm/550/fpr without the walbro. Should i do it??

I am in the same boat. I have some fuel in my tank. I drained out 4 gallons and there is more in the tank. I decided to just drive the car slowly to use up the fuel and then install the walbro.

Cheers,
Roy