Shipping

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
There is a Respectable member on here who is planning to transfer a motor into my hands.

Now as of now it is dissassembled, head seperated from block (undergoing headgasket job)

Now what would you guys say is the best way to ship, assemble it and as one whole, or send the head with some ither items i am receiveing, or should he ssend everything assebled as one.

Just trying to help him out, also what can i do to insure nothing gets damage in the shipping process, the last thing i want is the motor to be damaged.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Shipping the head is no problem, wrap it up in buble wrap in a decent sized box. Don't use packing peanuts unless you plan on taping up all the ports. I'd leave the cams and cam covers on for shipping, simply to keep the shims in order, but you could strip it bare. I would use a separate box for the other parts as well.

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
Bishop92t said:
Shipping the head is no problem, wrap it up in buble wrap in a decent sized box. Don't use packing peanuts unless you plan on taping up all the ports. I'd leave the cams and cam covers on for shipping, simply to keep the shims in order, but you could strip it bare. I would use a separate box for the other parts as well.

thanks, what about the block, i dont want the oil pan or the block surface to
get messed up.

silvergsx623

WIPLSH & HWY KNG
Oct 16, 2005
Alabama
use sheets of 1 inch styrophome to creat a nice padded area around the motor.
bubble rap can be used to take up space to keep the motor from shifting in the box.
if it goes ups/fedex it can end up upside down or sideways.
if it goes freight, put it on a pallet and it'll keep it upright

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Go get some industrial cellophane. It's for wrapping large items up for shipping. It's very thick and very durable.
Wrap up the engine real good. Then, go to wal-mart and pick up two ratcheting tie downs and tie it to a pallet.

it's ready to ship.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Try Forward Air, I can't remember their web address, but they ship from dock to dock only. You would have to drive to the nearest one to drop off and pick up, but real cheap. Like 75 dollars for a tranny shipped 500 miles.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
UPS will only take boxes up to 150lbs, so you're gonna have to freight the block. So it'll be cheaper and easier to just put the head back on the block and let it go freight as well. This is the safest way anyway, as UPS type companies are gonna roll heavy packages like a head. On a pallet, your biggest worry is something bumping into it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
To add to Bishops post on the head I'd look at some way of spacing the head up so the open valves can't be damaged if the Cams are left in place. (Shipping companys aren't known for taking car of delicate parts so it's up to you to pack it correctly)