shifting to N to D on an automatic....

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
well im driving with my friend in my car tonight and the way i drive is if i see the light turn red from like a couple 1000 ft away i shift to neutral...or if i am at a stop light i go to neutral cuz im to lazy to hold the brake at the light....
and he told me his mechanic told him it is bad for the car and it could lock up your gears or sumthing.....
is this true????i'v been doing this to my 2000 rav4 for at least a year now....
whats yall's opinion???

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
i dunoo cuz when my friend was getting his car looked at ( i guess the tranny...)
he told me the mech could tell he shifted to neutral to drive a lot .....
i dunno i think the mech was bsing....
ne other opinions...
i dont wanna destory my DD

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Are you revving before you put it back into drive? If not, I don't think it's too bad for it, but probably not optimal. I'm certainly not an expert on automatics though, so don't take my word for it. I personally wouldn't do it.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
CryoSlash said:
i woudl think it woudl actually help ypir tranny because then its not fighting with the brakes.

thats what i was thinkikg and why i do it....also cuz i think it saves gas so i can jus roll down the street slowly until i get to a red light....and i hit neutral like 1000 or more ft away....

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Well your tranny uses fluid pressure to shift gears vs. a clutch assy/pedal. The only adverse effect it may have is the initial shock of going from a stop to sudden forward inertia. But that would only happen if you revved your engine to like 4k in N then dropped it into D. Shift driving normally and shifting gears will not hurt the trans. Many auto's these days have tiptronic like functions that allow for this sort of " clutchless manual" driving. Your tranny should be fine assuming it isnt already shot.

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
As stated above don't rev the engine while in netural and don't rev then select 'D'. This will kill your 'box. Ideally use the park/hand brake to hold you still and let the torque converter do it's job.

If you have an Auto and you have to rev the engine, for tuning purposes, then lift the rear wheels clear of the ground and do so in neutral not in park.

As for shifting manually while driving? Its fine even with your foot to the floor you ain't going to do any damage.

Rolling down the street in neutral won't save petrol cause the engine is kept running by the ECU injecting fuel. Change down early to get engine braking, (sports mode), while slowing down cause the ECU cuts fuel to the engine during this process until about 600 RPM's. Doing this will save fuel, give your brakes a rest and makes for a better Auto Box driving style. Manual box users take note.

:icon_bigg

Last edited:

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well I don't know if thats bad on tranny, asl ong as theres no revving or shifting above idle ur ok I would say. Don't do like ricer where they shift from L to 2nd to drive cuz guess what its not faster and either youll jack the tranny or worse youll blow tension or timing belt and ruin the valve train and engine and need a rebuild.

Kinda like the dumbass talon owner i knew

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
I hear that shifting the car from neutral to drive will put more wear on the tranny, than the wear brakes would sustain from just pressing the brakes.

Whats more cheap? A new tranny or new brakes?

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
the mechanic didn't mean having the car in neutral then putting it in drive, he meant having it in neutral, revving it then popping it into drive and doing a burn out
i hear thats bad, but just switching from neutral todrive is harmless. Now neutral, rev, drive, thats what blew my friends mx6's tranny after doing it twice, he got a new tranny, did it once more, blew it again. Where as my supra i do it all the time, and its fine. So i guess as long as you dont have a pos mazda tranny your fine.

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
No worries.

Just one more point. If you really need to shift to neutral while rolling then do so below 30MPH. No more.

Auto gearboxes are wonderful things and totally different to manual boxes so go easy on them :love:

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
Ckanderson said:
i think you should just drive a stick.

Stick will give you a more direct drive, and feel, in all gears & less trouble but just understand how an Auto works & whats going on inside and you will love them. Anyways, Auto's will out accelerate manuals once at legal speeds.

I reckon two Supra's with the same RW power, one with Auto & the other with a manual, and the Auto will leave the manual once doing highway speeds! :icon_bigg

Keep your Auto gearbox internal oil pressures up high and once the Torque Converter has locked up, in 3rd, you've got a direct drive tranny in motion :icon_razz

I like the Mustang as well. Pure beef with no forced induction!

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
oscolivar1 said:
i dont rev or ne thing....
just shift to N to D la ot or vice versa
good info guys!!

You do this everytime you move from park to drive visa versa. So why would it be bad any other time? Just some simple logic for ya'.