shifting to N to D on an automatic....

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
I think what hes saying is that while he's rolling, he sometimes shifts into neutral, the light turns green before he gets to it, then he shifts back into drive...not all too clear though.

^^ yea if im rolling down the street i just go to Neutral if i see a red light from a distance...or if im at a red i go to N.....so i dont have to press the break...

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I do it all the time in my parents autos, I hate holding the brakes at a light. I stopped doing it in my dads car, tho, its a 2000 GM w/ 100k mi, and the tranny is really rough, so I'm afraid of putting any more wear on it than normal, all those stoplights in cities add up lol. It is so rough when shifting PRND, and even when driving the upshifts and downshifts are tough. I'm sure its almost shot. I should get his fluid changed, he never does lol....

But yeah, I hate holding the brakes...

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
i personaly know a airplain mechanic that does this when i asked him why he siad it was cuz it is better for the tranny. so i wouldnt think its a problem

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
You still didn't clarify; are you shifting back into drive while in motion, or only when at a stop?

yea i shift into drive while in motion once in a while, say if i go to N when i see red and then if it changes to green then yea i shift to D, i dont feel ne Vibration or ne thing, no rough shifts or ne things, so yea...

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Meh, as long as you're under 15-25mph, you should be fine I'd say. Just to be on the safe side I'd say quit being lazy and just leave it in drive.

thats why i posted this, so yea i guess imma stop putting it in N to D while in motion, BUT im still going to put in N when at a red

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
the reason why i dont put it in park becuase then i'd have to press the brake and then shift where as i can just shift to N to D without pressing the brake making it a lot eaier then going to P