setting timing casing gaskets?

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
Hey guys, I am in the process of replacing my front seals, because I had oil on my belt and leaking out of the bottom weep hole. I read that those seal are supposed to leak some. Any truth to that? Would make sense. They did put a weep hole there, and it would keep the seal from cracking and wearing.

I also noticed oil seeping down the gasket for the timing casing and block. The pic shows you the gasket. Obvisouly it got tweaked when the previous installer put in together. My question is would that cause an oil leak? How do you keep it from doing that when installing?

Why I say is because when I done the hg I didnt do the silicone trick. (didn't know about it) Since I think my oil pump seal is leaking. I dont really know where that oil leak is coming from. I figured the gasket is there for a reason but....

I figured I would post some pics any how, cause I know this is a common problem. Timing_cover.jpg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Seal that are meant to "leak" hmmmm you really need to bring enough drugs for everyone Dude... :nono:

If you buy genuine Gaskets they have a film of sealer on them, clean everything spotlessly with Paint thinner then fit em up, if Non Genuine use some Permatex #4 or #5 and you're good to go, Where the head seals to the Timing case is another matter, Never seen the Job done in the Order you're doing it and would expect leaks up Top now, I'd clean up there as well and RTV that joint and it "might" seal.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
Just what I read by someone on this forum. I just had never heard of that before. So thought I would ask. (old harleys do right? or is that a joke?)

I am just trying to cover all my bases on this project. Like I didnt on the silicone trick.lol Cause I really wasnt for sure where the second leak was coming from.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not supposed to remove the rear timing case without removing the oil pan and head first... You also don't need to remove it to replace the oil pump drive and front main seal.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
I know but look at that gasket. I wanted to replace that gasket. I dont have means to pull the motor so just going to try it and see. If I didnt try it the car would probably just sit till my wife gets out of college cause its not my daily driver.