Set timing, car sounds like crap

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
At stock timing it sounds like there is a bad exhaust leak but when I advance the timing it goes away

set timing correct....
motor tdc (verified by ratchet extension down spark plug hole lol)
crank pully lined up at 0
cams lined up perfect
insert cps properly (done it 1,000 times)
diagnostic box jumpered
car warmed up

start it up, car sounds great pulling -20 vacuum, idles good
check the timing its advanced to over 20 degrees
WTF stock is 10 degrees
adjust the cps down to 10 degrees and it sounds shitty, and like a bad exhaust leak, vacuum -15
idle is good though at stock 650-750 rpms

verified with 2 timing guns

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Crank pulley slipped, or timing belt tensioner bent? (Difficult to tell if the tensioner is bent, unless you have a new one sitting right next to it. They're also quite easy to bend)

I came across this problem on S383mmber1's car. Couldn't figure out what the crap was wrong. Towed it to my house, pulled off the harmonic balancer, sure enough, it bent the woodruff key right over instead of shearing it off. The motor was really out of time, and it did a great job at mangling the end of the crank. :(

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
thats what i though so i turned the crank with a extension in the #1 spark plug and went the crank went to 0 the extension was at its highest point (tdc)

also pulled off the upper timing cover and the cams were both notched up right

if what you said were true wouldn't the cams be off and/or the motor not at tdc with the pully at 0?

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
i just put a new seal and bearing in my cps could I have messed it up?

I am not getting any codes just what sounds like a bad exhaust leak at stock timing (10 degrees) that goes away if I advance the timing.

at stock timing my vacuum is -15 and when I advance the timing, it goes to -20

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
At stock timing it sounds like there is a bad exhaust leak but when I advance the timing it goes away

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
the only thing i changed out was the cps so i'll try and see if I can find one to swap tomorrow

any other ideas would help me out!!!!

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
set it by ear...

trust me not everyone on here uses a light... sometimes just setting it the way it runs best and no spark knock ofcourse...on my timing.. when the 0 and the V marks lined up on cams... my cps the rotor part that turns.. the contact thing that goes by the pick up coil is 1 tooth to the right......

Hope you get it fixed