serpentine belt shakes at 5500+ rpm NOW with Video

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So my problem is the belt that goes around alternater/water pump shakes in between main pulley and alternater but only at 5500+rpms car loses all power to the wheels it seems when I go past 5500 that's how I noticed

. I replaced the belt and tightened tension tight still did it I kept going tighter until I couldn't and still have the problem.

While driving car seems to hit a brick wall when i get to 6k rpms untill i shift. i related it to the belt cause thats when the belt starts shaking worse

Motor is 7mgte 89+

Here is video

http://youtu.be/GiS3JYy77R8

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OfnaRcR4;1702078 said:
+1, but a belt wouldn't cause the car to lose power to the wheels. Idk.

Well, his testimony about the relationship between dying out and a loose belt...isn't valid. Unless he installed a clutch on the water pump that activates at 5500 rpm, and it engages a brake of some sort.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Nick M;1702089 said:
Well, his testimony about the relationship between dying out and a loose belt...isn't valid. Unless he installed a clutch on the water pump that activates at 5500 rpm, and it engages a brake of some sort.

Idk what your trying to say but to the original poster, check the pulleys to see of they are loose at all with the belt off. You don't want too much tension on the belt because it wears out your accessories faster. Either that or its the improper belt.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So your telling me it wouldn't effect the power off the car at all if the belt starts wailing around?...

There's planty of tension on the belt. Probably to much now. But this is the second belt I've tried. What size is it gonna be so I can be sure its right or not. Thanks everyone

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The belts move a lot at high RPM, most people don't notice because they're not reving their engine that high while under the hood. It also doesn't explain your issues.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Thats not a serpentine belt, your belt is the wrong length, and how the hell do you think that is whats causing any issue?

Let the belt be, its not the issue.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Definately the wrong belt if you have the tensioner maxed. Still don't think it explains your issues as even if the belt was thrown off the engine would run on the battery alone.

It's also not a serpentine belt (serpentine means one belt snaked around to drive all accessories), but that's a technicality.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Belt wobbling like that doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue although i've never seen them move quite like that. Thats not going to cause any kind of horsepower loss though. I'd say either there's another issue or there's no issue and it's just a stockish 7m.

PS, beware of where you're standing when revving your engine high from the engine bay. If your fan is having a bad day and decides to kick one of the blades off i'm sure you wouldn't want to be standing in its path hah.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Idk then cause it definitely doesn't seem like the car is running right that's for sure so a stock 7m wont climb past 6k rpms from what I remember my last one didn't do this. And what ever it is it made me notice and go wtf. And thisbt makes a whole lot of noise when it starts moving under the Hood

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

The car pulls good untilled the belt starts moving and it doesn't climb rpms anymore.

SoulSupra

Supra for the Soul
Jan 14, 2011
ON
What the number on the side the belt. That usually indicates it's size (length and width). Somehow that belt look a little too long.
I've never seen stock set-up with the tensioner maxed out and the belt flopping like that.
IF you alternator doesn't rejuvenate the battery what's going to power the car and all the electrical system. You will lose power.
Has anybody driven a car with a burnt out alternator. How long does the car drive for.....as long as the charge in the battery.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I understand what you arte getting at but the battery would still be able to provide power to the fuel and ignition system etc for few split seconds that her does a pull. Unless the battery doesn't hold a charge and in that case he wouldn't be able to start it up.

SoulSupra

Supra for the Soul
Jan 14, 2011
ON
I believe the belt you need is Goodyear # 4050510 (5PK1295) 5 rib, 51(effective length) and 51.75" (outside length).

I have a 4050507 in my car because the supplier didn't have one in stock and I was stranded. So I went down a belt size of 3/4" of an inch.