Seriously stupid alternator pulley question.

Supranforever

7MGE-T daily driver.
Jul 2, 2006
Tennessee
Ok guys, I've been on here for a few years, and on SF since 2001ish, since we can't search SF, w/e I came here and searched, still nothing. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the pulley off the alternators. My freind and I have gotten into powdercoating and want to do our alternators in black so does anyone actually know how to take them off with out the special service tools? Thanks ahead guys.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You can struggle to find another way of holding the thing or you can use an impact gun to take if off in seconds. Fwiw (assuming the alternator is old) if you're going to do this you might as well go through the alternator while you're at it. At least replace the front/rear bearings and brushes.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah- My buddy just removed my alt. pulley for me w/ an impact gun in like .2 seconds. Otherwise(as Jetjock said) you've got to find some way to keep the shaft/rotor from turning, like sliding a screwdriver into it WITHOUT damaging it.
Easier said than done.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Just a tip for searching SF. You can go to google and search and use site:supraforums.com

ex. in google type "alternator pulley site:supraforums.com"

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
staticpat said:
Just a tip for searching SF. You can go to google and search and use site:supraforums.com

ex. in google type "alternator pulley site:supraforums.com"

Using Google to search SF is pretty futile in most cases. I have tried to search a number of things that I know exist on that site but came back empty.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Supranforever said:
Ok guys, I've been on here for a few years, and on SF since 2001ish, since we can't search SF, w/e I came here and searched, still nothing. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the pulley off the alternators. My freind and I have gotten into powdercoating and want to do our alternators in black so does anyone actually know how to take them off with out the special service tools? Thanks ahead guys.

Impact it off. I however just brought mine to an alt shop and they did it for me.

Duane

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Poodles said:
don't have to, the impact will hit it and take it off usually...
:word8kn:

That's the beauty of an impact gun- it places the torque exactly where you need it, on the nut.