Seriously done with the *&^$@# car!

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
What everyone has already said... Is hilarious... And all true!!!

I bought my car with a blown motor, tranny, and clutch... I was a 4x4 guy in a previous life and didn't know ISH about a turbo sports car... I was into the car $12k within the first 6 months I owned it... I hear ya on the gripes! A decade later and I'm still shoving money into it. But, and its a big but, I still love this car.

Keep at it. You'll know know soon enough if you're a Supra Lifer!!!

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
What everyone has already said... Is hilarious... And all true!!!

I bought my car with a blown motor, tranny, and clutch... I was a 4x4 guy in a previous life and didn't know ISH about a turbo sports car... I was into the car $12k within the first 6 months I owned it... I hear ya on the gripes! A decade later and I'm still shoving money into it. But, and its a big but, I still love this car.

Keep at it. You'll know know soon enough if you're a Supra Lifer!!!

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
MKIII supra = money pit...

take wife on cruise with all the bells and whisles hummmm... or buy new precision 6766 CEA BB ported H 1.ar. The choice is easy, she hates boats anyway lol

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Eman14j;1839916 said:
MKIII supra = money pit...

take wife on cruise with all the bells and whisles hummmm... or buy new precision 6766 CEA BB ported H 1.ar. The choice is easy, she hates boats anyway lol

LMAO! My wife gets sick looking at a glass of water...

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
jenny89;1840033 said:
^^^ didnt kno that. damn hondas thats just stupid lol
Lots of cars do it, Hondas, Corollas, Neons, and Cobalts, just to name a few. Supras with BHG run a water pump with the timing belt. :biglaugh:
-AM3

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1840038 said:
Many MANY modern engines are like this. Yeah it kinda sucks, but it has it's advantages...
Where would the advantage lie? Clearance is the only thing that comes to my mind. Now that I think about it... Miatas are like this, aren't they?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1840280 said:
Where would the advantage lie? Clearance is the only thing that comes to my mind. Now that I think about it... Miatas are like this, aren't they?

Yep, they are. main advantages are they get changes more often like they should (most people do them with the timing belt) and the waterpump is better protected (as it's realy a critical system).

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
yeah man...you jusy have to vent sometimes with these cars. I bought mine for a hefty price hearing that the motor was just rebuilt and it dies 3 days later. since then I've dumped at least $6k in repairs and preventative maintenance and another $12k in upgrades. With all the headaches, the only payback you get is the joy of driving it and knowing that you've stuck with it because you love your car. It makes me smile whenever I talk to some random guy on the street or at a show and he says...man I love those cars...I used to have one but it blew up...and I got rid of it...now after seeing yours, I wish I had kept up with it like you have etc etc.

You do have to love these to own one....and maintain them...and be prepared to shell out a lot of money to keep it on the road. Is it worth it? To some...no. To me? Hell yes!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I tell ya OP, you have to love a Supra to keep with it.

When I first got mine in '09, the guy said I'll love this car, but it did have a "tendency" to run through a little coolant and oil.

No kidding. REALLY?!?!

After a week of running around town I checked fluids in her and the rad was nearly bone dry, oil was EVERYWHERE along the front of the engine, and she was dumping puddles on the ground like a 6 week-old puppy. I committed myself to clearing up these flaws so that I would have a safe, RELIABLE, and fast daily driver that didn't suck out my wallet in gas (before I sold it, at the time all I had was an '00 Jeep Cherokee XJ lifted 3.5", and getting BARELY 12 MPG...).

Coolant was first. So.... after replacing both upper AND lower hoses, water pump, thermostat, and radiator, problem ended up being a small 90 deg. hose in the front of the engine, hiding underneath the CPS. And that was only last year I figured that out.... sheesh.

Oil is next. Guy who owned this car before me decided to run synthetic oil in her without changing out gaskets and seals. Synthetic oil has additives that attack "dino deposits" in the engine and around these seals, and if the seals are from the factory? There go the front and rear main ones. Yippie.

Wanna know how I'm solving THAT little problem?

p1840491_1.jpg

Bye bye, 7M, hello, 2JZ.

NOTE: Since the HG has never been replaced in this motor, and adding the front/rear main seal leakage, IN ADDITION TO where I want to be horsepower-wise and reliability, I felt it was safer to go ahead and move up to 2JZ. Not everyone does this, this was my direction.

Sorry so long. Yes, she is a sweet car when she wants to be. Yes, when you're not looking she will probably piddle on your carpet or chew into your favorite shoes. BUT, nurse her through all of that and she can be an awesome "pet".