Seriously done with the *&^$@# car!

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Seriously. I am so done with this f'n car. Every day it's something new. Today, I back into my driveway and I see a trail of coolant drips leading up the driveway in front of me. Coolant is drooling out of what looks like the bottom of my water pump where it mates to the block. Just out of the blue started leaking. A couple of days ago it was that POS PITA L shaped hose behind the thermostat housing. Also noticed as it was sitting idling, light oil smoke coming from my exhaust. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE! WTF is next?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's a 20 year old car, things break... fix it and get over it.

It's still a lot cheaper than making $500/month payments on a new car.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Not to mention i guarantee you that every person who has replied to this thread has been in the boat of wanting to ditch the supra once. She's old take care of her and shell take care of you, no need to get pissed, back away take a breath and get your issues fixed.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just need to update the wear parts like hoses, (in this case water pump), and gaskets and it should serve you well. :)

FWIW, all my Supra's have been minimal headaches aside from the Head Gasket issues, which were all 100% known and didn't hit me as a surprise. Fix it once, do it right and they'll treat you well! :)

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
ifyouaint1sturlast;1839874 said:
Why do people without jobs or with low paying jobs flock to this car? The reason you can buy one for $1k-2k is because it needs a lot of work. The perfectly good running ones go for much more.

100% true. Its a CHEAP Turbo car is what everyone see's but no one seems to understand that it comes with 20+ years worth of work that needs to be done.... I could never understand why people got into these and NOT expect to have to work on it a lot.... it's over 20 YEARS OLD.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
ifyouaint1sturlast;1839874 said:
Why do people without jobs or with low paying jobs flock to this car? The reason you can buy one for $1k-2k is because it needs a lot of work. The perfectly good running ones go for much more.

Because people with high paying jobs don't want a $1,000 car that's falling apart... and somebody is going to end up eventually buying them?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
LOL...thanks all. I've been wrenching on cars for 30 years. This is nothing new...I'm not as young as some of you may think. :) Some of you already know I have a stable of pre 73 muscle cars too. Parting this one out to buy a Civic? LMAO...I needed that...um, HELL NO! Honda is worse than any curse word you can think of in my house. My son also drives a '89 NA MKIII...soon to have a GTE with a T61 on it. I don't even let friends of his park in front of my house with a Honda. LMAO! Thanks!

I love working on cars as a hobby, not as a necessity -- lately it seems this biatch has been killing me with necessity. No biggee...it'll be fixed tomorrow and on to the next adventure. The smoke is what worries me the most...no telling if it's valve seals, rings, or my turbo. I had/have plans of installing AEM EMS and throwing 20lbs at her, but now I'm not so sure I want to do that. It's going to the track Saturday night to see what kind of times I can pull on the 9 psi I'm running...we'll see what Sunday morning brings. :D

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Hotwheelsjr;1839883 said:
LOL...thanks all. I've been wrenching on cars for 30 years. This is nothing new...I'm not as young as some of you may think. :) Some of you already know I have a stable of pre 73 muscle cars too. Parting this one out to buy a Civic? LMAO...I needed that...um, HELL NO! Honda is worse than any curse word you can think of in my house. My son also drives a '89 NA MKIII...soon to have a GTE with a T61 on it. I don't even let friends of his park in front of my house with a Honda. LMAO! Thanks!

I love working on cars as a hobby, not as a necessity -- lately it seems this biatch has been killing me with necessity. No biggee...it'll be fixed tomorrow and on to the next adventure. The smoke is what worries me the most...no telling if it's valve seals, rings, or my turbo. I had/have plans of installing AEM EMS and throwing 20lbs at her, but now I'm not so sure I want to do that. It's going to the track Saturday night to see what kind of times I can pull on the 9 psi I'm running...we'll see what Sunday morning brings. :D

Well alright then! cowboy up and get it fixed!

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Hotwheelsjr;1839817 said:
Seriously. I am so done with this f'n car. Every day it's something new. Today, I back into my driveway and I see a trail of coolant drips leading up the driveway in front of me. Coolant is drooling out of what looks like the bottom of my water pump where it mates to the block. Just out of the blue started leaking. A couple of days ago it was that POS PITA L shaped hose behind the thermostat housing. Also noticed as it was sitting idling, light oil smoke coming from my exhaust. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE! WTF is next?....JUST VENTING
Fixed

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
T701jz;1839896 said:

Yessir...that I was. My daughter had called me this morning with a complaint about how her Barracuda started pulling hard to the left and the front tires were squealing. Discovered a tie rod about to fall apart...so I'll be rebuilding the front end of a '67 Barracuda tomorrow and Friday, too. That on top of my son's NA is losing coolant somewhere from the overflow, but NOT from the radiator. His radiator is full, but the overflow keeps emptying and he hasn't noticed it "leaking". IDK WTF is going on there... Going to be a long weekend. :(