Sensor & fan clutch question

cmoser18

Jun 2, 2012
Utah
Hey guys, I have a sensor that is leaking some coolant and thought i'd replace it but Toyota can't seem to figure out what sensor it is, it is the sensor that sits on the bottom of the thermostat housing. I believe it is the sensor that engages the clutch fan? I have a current problem of my clutch fan being engaged all the time and it's throwing a code 22 as well.

Could this one sensor cause both of these issues? Any help would be appreciated! :icon_bigg

IMG_0258.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thermo Housing..jpg

You have multiple problems. This chart will help you identify the sensors.

Your leaking sensor is for the small coolant fans down the driver side of the rad shroud.
Your code 22 is from a bad ECU coolant signal. Could be the sensor or the wiring. You will need to troubleshoot.
Your clutch fan is purely mechanical, no electrical sensor controls it. If it is on all the time it either has too much silicone in it (unlikely unless it was recently rebuilt) or it has seized.

cmoser18

Jun 2, 2012
Utah
That chart pretty much sums it up.

Is there anywhere in the TSRM that shows the part number of that lower sensor? I've looked up and down, left and right for it and I can't seem to find it anywhere and neither can Toyota. Is this a sensor I might have to salvage?

Thanks for the info on the clutch fan. When the car is fully warm the clutch will barely spin. Is this a sign of it being seized? I believe it is supposed to spin a little when fully warm.

cmoser18

Jun 2, 2012
Utah
I mean when the car is off and try spinning the fan by hand when the car is fully warm.. Sorry, forgot to clarify.