Scrap heap save

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
Hello all,

So I was never expecting to end up on a supra forum to be completely honest. I am a Subaru kid. However 1 day I went to a junkyard near me and they had just received a 1987 Toyota supra turbo for scrap. It had blown the head gasket and the turbocharger. Interior was kinda gross but hey its almost 30 years old. It was loaded with all the parts the previous owner had for the car. The body was mostly clean and rust free. It is missing some of the door moldings but the pearl white paint was in great shape. I couldn't let the car get scrapped so I went back with a truck and trailer the next day and picked her up. I am a self taught mechanic but I have worked for independent shops as well as a Subaru dealership and a BMW dealership as a tech. I have just finished the tear down. the head is out to the machine shop. I got a pleasant surprise when I pulled the valve covers in it had some aftermarket camshafts. From what research I've done they are BC stage 2 cams. I'm not new to toyota engines as I have a 2jz swapped datsun but this is my first real full toyota build.

A little back ground on myself I guess. I went to school for mechanical engineering. Ended up having to drop out due to financials. I've owned almost 40 cars starting when I was 13 I bought my datsun for 350$. They were my escape and excuse to get out of the house. So yeah I guess that's me and my supras story so far.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Welcome, and glad to see another one saved. They really are awesome cars and getting much more rare.

If you plan on keeping a running thread with updates on the build you should start one in the Supra Build Up/Gallery. There are some other good ones in progress there that are worth following.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Nice to see another Bostonian on here. That 240z sounds sweet i'd love to check it out in the springtime.

Good job saving it from the scrap! Let me know if u need any parts i've still got a bunch of random supra shit laying around.

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
Datsun is out getting painted at my buddies shop. I've had it for 8 years and its never really been driven more than up and down the block to test. If you have a 7mgte crank pully/harmonic balancer I'm in desperate need of one as the previous one is destroyed.

But yeah Im trying to get the supra ready for the spring. The datsun may go on the back burner once again.