Sandwich HG

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Did a search ,but didn't find what i was looking for. Ok, lets say i want to use a sandwich type HG. Not two lose separate HG's , but two HG's wraped with metal in the standart places. All around the HG and around the combustion chamber. Lets say, it will look like an ordinary HG, but it would be made out of two separate HG's. Anyone did that? And would it hold? If it does, will it hold just at the stock 0,35 bar, or will it be able to hold untill the fuel cut limit at 0,8 bar?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I don't get what you mean.

Just use a mhg and prep the block and head properly and you shouldn't have issues.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Block and head is prepped. I need a 3mm mhg. Cometic 3mm mhg(plus shipping) cost is equal to my salary of two months. There are shops here that can make a hg from scratch for 1/8 of that price, but only 1,5mm thick. That's why i'm asking this question.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
I understand everything completely. I know the corect ways of doing things. Just, that economical and financial situations differ so much in certain countries. Stock, non OEM hg, costs about 40 usd here. If sandwich type hg is out of the question, i'll just have to bite the bullet and save a bit for the corect hg. I don't plan on putting huge amounts of power. Stock rebuild. Stock internals. Stock power. Just a overhauled, more reliable engine.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
I mentioned before, that the block and head were checked and decked. The total amount now equals 3mm. If i'll end up using a stock HG, then the compresion would rise to high. I'm trying to keep everything as close to factory specs as possible. Thats my goal. As i said, internals are new, but stock. The crank is checked and polished. I prefer original, stock form over modifying. Well ,at least as close as i can get to it.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The stock head gasket is 1.37mm (when compressed) or .054in thick. You're looking for a 3mm (.118in) gasket. Are you saying they took a combined 64 thousandths of an inch off of both surfaces?

I'm searching for the answer now, but does anyone know what the max is?

EDIT:
[strike]MAX that can be shaved off the head: .1mm (.0039in)
MAX that can be shaved off the block: .05mm (.0020in).

One of the two of yours (or possibly both) is junk. Sorry.[/strike]

EDIT #2: What I have is the maximum warpage allowed on either surface. I've searched and can't find the minimum deck height and minimum head thickness. Anyone got the answers?

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Never seen a minimum thickness spec on either the head or the block but my "guess" would be 20 thou on each.
(I base this on the head I sawed into pieces and many blocks I've looked at and worked on)

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
if you can't pay for a headgasket, stop what you are doing and save up the money, otherwise you will be in this same boat.
this is not a cheap car its also not a forgiving car, you fuck it up and you will pay alot of it.. why is that so hard to understand.

ALSO POST 420 oooooooooooooooooooyeeeaaaahh

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
That's my backup engine. I'm willing to experiment a bit. That's why i'm searching for various alternatives. Do it right or don't do it at all. I fully agree on that. But sometimes, if you have a possibility, why not cheat a bit?