San antonio

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the welcome you guys!

Suprapowaz!(2);2091721 said:
What brings you to San Antonio? What side of town did you move to?

I'm on the far West side. So far West I am outside the loop.

And, well, I definitely couldn't afford to live in Portland anymore, (thanks to a huge population increase driving up the prices of everything in the last couple of years) and last year's lack of summer and the fact it rained consistently all 12 months... was looking to move somewhere with a strong economy, affordable housing, jobs in my field that pay decent, and hot and sunny but not Arizona hot. So far, I really like it here:)

1988ma70supra;2091720 said:
Hey Faye!

Let me be the first to welcome you to San Antonio! I too am 7m powered but running HKS electronics (alphabet soup). I like to go to meets every now and then but have been mainly doing cruises now; although i do still frequent the Cars and Coffee which is the larger more organized. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime to talk cars or go on a cruise

Miguel

Awesome! Yes I definitely would like to. Cars and Coffee also I hear is a good time. I remember hearing about other Supra owners from the PNW making the drive down to Texas for TX2K but not sure if it would be up my alley so passed it off this year. Currently, I am having some issues with my Supra that have me totally stumped, but my hope is to get her back on the road in another couple months or so. I'd love to go standalone someday like you. *sigh* maybe some day! :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm on the far west side outside Loop 1604 as well. Shanfield and 1604 to be exact. Whats going on with the Supra? Running rough? I have some spare parts we can swap out to eliminate any possible problems.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Suprapowaz!(2);2092084 said:
I'm on the far west side outside Loop 1604 as well. Shanfield and 1604 to be exact. Whats going on with the Supra? Running rough? I have some spare parts we can swap out to eliminate any possible problems.

Oh my gosh, that would be amazing!! I'm out 90 W and Texas Research Parkway.

Yes, she is running rough. Slight misfire that I have been chasing down since I got the car, but seems to have just gotten worse. I am also running really lean at idle, (17-18ish) which I think is just a product of the misfire/unburned gas. I have my Apexi Neo at 50% fuel correction at idle which is insane.
I haven't given her much thought in a while, actually, because I got to the point where I was going over the same stuff, and I am all alone here so no one else to bounce ideas off of.

7MGTE, recently fully rebuilt (by me, so this could be all the problem, haha) bored slightly over, ported and polished head (which I know can cause lean conditions at idle too, but not this bad. 550cc low impedance injectors, Blitz 60:1 turbo, Lexus AFM, Walbro fuel pump and 12V pump mod, Aeromotive FPR, grounded ignitor, "Big 3", J-tube bypass..... *thinks, thinks* what else am I missing?
I'd love to go standalone, yes, but not in the cards right now. Moving is $$$ and still recovering.

The only code I have is the lean code
Timing is dead on
Leakdown and Compression = on point
New NGK plugs and wires
No vacuum leaks
No change when I swapped AFMs, although I suppose I could have 2 mediocre ones
Fuel injectors are freshly rebuilt
Gas is new
Downpipe is new, no air leaks before the O2 sensors
I tried to check the coilpacks per TSRM with my DVOM and everything checked out fine, but I am still a little not trusting of them.

Would love some fresh ideas on where to turn next, because I'd really love to drive her more!!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I am not familiar with how the Apexi Neo works with fuel correction. I'm sure I can learn about it. Have you tried turning in the AFM screw all the way in to see if there's any change? You're going to have to play with the AFM screw and fuel pressure with respect with Vf trim in closed loop to get your desired AFR. I'm no pro, but used to monitor my Vf while dabbling with my MAP ECU when my car was running.
I do have coilpacks, AFMs, CPS, and just about everything since my car is down. I'd me more than happy to try to help.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Faye;2092024 said:
hot and sunny but not Arizona hot. So far, I really like it here:)

I've known a few people that have lived in Arizona and visited here and prefer the dry heat to the humid heat we have here so I hope that after your first summer you don't regret your choice lol. San Antonio is definitely a growing city though and the cost of living is much lower than most.

Faye;2092024 said:
Awesome! Yes I definitely would like to. Cars and Coffee also I hear is a good time. I remember hearing about other Supra owners from the PNW making the drive down to Texas for TX2K but not sure if it would be up my alley so passed it off this year. Currently, I am having some issues with my Supra that have me totally stumped, but my hope is to get her back on the road in another couple months or so.

Cars and coffee is the second Saturday of every month and is not too far from you since it's on the North west side of town. I'll give you a heads up when the next one comes around. I'll be attending a cruise this Saturday morning in Austin with a variety of other cars if you'd be interested in going. TX2K is pretty cool but the Supra population is definitely not what it used to be; it has been over run by Lambos and GTRs. The event is in Houston which is only about 3 hours tops from here but has already passed (its on Spring Break week). The event attracts a lot of crowds from different parts of the US but also attention from the police since they know that much of the action takes place at night where people hit the toll roads for roll racing. I have to say that the best Supra event that i have been to is Supras In Vegas

Faye;2092024 said:
I'd love to go standalone someday like you. *sigh* maybe some day! :)

Thanks for the praise but I think you misunderstood. I'm running the old school HKS alphabet soup (FCON, VPC, GCC, IPM, EVC) still considered a piggy back but running on speed density :icon_razz

Faye;2092090 said:
Yes, she is running rough. Slight misfire that I have been chasing down since I got the car, but seems to have just gotten worse. I am also running really lean at idle, (17-18ish) which I think is just a product of the misfire/unburned gas. I have my Apexi Neo at 50% fuel correction at idle which is insane.
I haven't given her much thought in a while, actually, because I got to the point where I was going over the same stuff, and I am all alone here so no one else to bounce ideas off of.

7MGTE, recently fully rebuilt (by me, so this could be all the problem, haha) bored slightly over, ported and polished head (which I know can cause lean conditions at idle too, but not this bad. 550cc low impedance injectors, Blitz 60:1 turbo, Lexus AFM, Walbro fuel pump and 12V pump mod, Aeromotive FPR, grounded ignitor, "Big 3", J-tube bypass..... *thinks, thinks* what else am I missing?
I'd love to go standalone, yes, but not in the cards right now. Moving is $$$ and still recovering.

The only code I have is the lean code
Timing is dead on
Leakdown and Compression = on point
New NGK plugs and wires
No vacuum leaks
No change when I swapped AFMs, although I suppose I could have 2 mediocre ones
Fuel injectors are freshly rebuilt
Gas is new
Downpipe is new, no air leaks before the O2 sensors
I tried to check the coilpacks per TSRM with my DVOM and everything checked out fine, but I am still a little not trusting of them.

Would love some fresh ideas on where to turn next, because I'd really love to drive her more!!

Have you had this problem since you installed the NEO? Reason I ask is because I've known a few people to have had trouble with the NEO before ultimately switching to the SAFC or going standalone. Is it always running lean or just at idle? Have you looked into your IAC? Seeing how its a controlled vacuum leak it would make sense that it would fit the bill (if the problem is only at idle). Another thing to look at if you haven't already would be the TPS. If you've addressed all of the above and some, like mentioned above, you will need to play with the screw on the AFM and possibly adjust the static pressure on the fuel rail.

Last edited:

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Suprapowaz!(2);2092103 said:
I am not familiar with how the Apexi Neo works with fuel correction. I'm sure I can learn about it. Have you tried turning in the AFM screw all the way in to see if there's any change? You're going to have to play with the AFM screw and fuel pressure with respect with Vf trim in closed loop to get your desired AFR. I'm no pro, but used to monitor my Vf while dabbling with my MAP ECU when my car was running.
I do have coilpacks, AFMs, CPS, and just about everything since my car is down. I'd me more than happy to try to help.

Oh my gosh, awesome. I have never messed around with the AFM screw at all, no. The car once ran fine with it just the way it is, so I guess I assumed it was fine? But I will try that out right now. And.... sorry for the dumb question, but... Vf Trim? Tried to google this before asking to not sound dumb, but no luck... you just mean fuel trim? That I read at the diagnostic box between E1 and Vf1?

Some help would be amazing. I would love to have the freedom of swapping out parts just to verify and be sure. And have another supra-smart person in my vicinity. I will try some of the things that have been suggested first to rule out my own stupidity, and I also have to get her inspected so that I can drive her to you or to anywhere in order to sort this out. My Oregon plates are expired. (I guess its time to install a horn haha!)

1988ma70supra;2092112 said:
I've known a few people that have lived in Arizona and visited here and prefer the dry heat to the humid heat we have here so I hope that after your first summer you don't regret your choice lol. San Antonio is definitely a growing city though and the cost of living is much lower than most.

Cars and coffee is the second Saturday of every month and is not too far from you since it's on the North west side of town. I'll give you a heads up when the next one comes around. I'll be attending a cruise this Saturday morning in Austin with a variety of other cars if you'd be interested in going. TX2K is pretty cool but the Supra population is definitely not what it used to be; it has been over run by Lambos and GTRs. The event is in Houston which is only about 3 hours tops from here but has already passed (its on Spring Break week). The event attracts a lot of crowds from different parts of the US but also attention from the police since they know that much of the action takes place at night where people hit the toll roads for roll racing. I have to say that the best Supra event that i have been to is Supras In Vegas

Thanks for the praise but I think you misunderstood. I'm running the old school HKS alphabet soup (FCON, VPC, GCC, IPM, EVC) still considered a piggy back but running on speed density :icon_razz

Have you had this problem since you installed the NEO? Reason I ask is because I've known a few people to have had trouble with the NEO before ultimately switching to the SAFC or going standalone. Is it always running lean or just at idle? Have you looked into your IAC? Seeing how its a controlled vacuum leak it would make sense that it would fit the bill (if the problem is only at idle). Another thing to look at if you haven't already would be the TPS. If you've addressed all of the above and some, like mentioned above, you will need to play with the screw on the AFM and possibly adjust the static pressure on the fuel rail.

Yay! I would love to go to Cars and Coffee sometime, even in my daily would be cool. I LOVE SIV! I hope to go again someday but bring my own Supra! I have been twice :D I almost went to TX2K, but heard the same sorts stuff.... Supras dwindling and its mostly a giant money show-off fest... not so much the home builder but the fancy high-end cars nowadays. Hey! That's still cool just not my scene. BTW, not sure if you know him, but Miguel who puts on SIV every year is a dear friend of mine! He visited me here last month, and is actually planning to move to Texas also. A little North of Austin, but still, more Supras and awesome supra people in the area is a good thing :)

I used to have an SAFC2 which I liked much more than the Neo. The SAFC2 I barely installed and was learning how to use it when one day, the screen died :( Sigh. Thus, the Neo. I haven't been able to find a good SAFC2 since. The Neo doesn't have the screen issue, so I hear. Sadly, I have had this issue with both SAFC2 and the Neo. I had this issue before the engine rebuild, but it seems to be at its worst right now. (Or I could be more aware of it...?)

She only runs lean at idle. I definitely have to do a little dialing in (I am learning how to tune the Neo, since I haven't been able to find anyone to professionally tune her for me) at WOT and cruising speeds, but it's much closer to where it should be.... almost perfect.
I have looked at the TPS, in terms of taking it out, removing the cover, checking for internal damage (as best I can) and making sure it's clocked properly. I am positive it is clocked properly. If it is working 100% perfectly... not too sure! I will look through my TSRM and see how to test it and make sure that's done, and I will also try messing with the AFM screw and fuel pressure once she is in closed loop and I'll try to figure out what Vf trim is.

Thanks so much guys!

Last edited:

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Faye;2092231 said:
Oh my gosh, awesome. I have never messed around with the AFM screw at all, no. The car once ran fine with it just the way it is, so I guess I assumed it was fine? But I will try that out right now. And.... sorry for the dumb question, but... Vf Trim? Tried to google this before asking to not sound dumb, but no luck... you just mean fuel trim? That I read at the diagnostic box between E1 and Vf1?

Some help would be amazing. I would love to have the freedom of swapping out parts just to verify and be sure. And have another supra-smart person in my vicinity. I will try some of the things that have been suggested first to rule out my own stupidity, and I also have to get her inspected so that I can drive her to you or to anywhere in order to sort this out. My Oregon plates are expired. (I guess its time to install a horn haha!)

Yay! I would love to go to Cars and Coffee sometime, even in my daily would be cool. I LOVE SIV! I hope to go again someday but bring my own Supra! I have been twice :D I almost went to TX2K, but heard the same sorts stuff.... Supras dwindling and its mostly a giant money show-off fest... not so much the home builder but the fancy high-end cars nowadays. Hey! That's still cool just not my scene. BTW, not sure if you know him, but Miguel who puts on SIV every year is a dear friend of mine! He visited me here last month, and is actually planning to move to Texas also. A little North of Austin, but still, more Supras and awesome supra people in the area is a good thing :)

I used to have an SAFC2 which I liked much more than the Neo. The SAFC2 I barely installed and was learning how to use it when one day, the screen died :( Sigh. Thus, the Neo. I haven't been able to find a good SAFC2 since. The Neo doesn't have the screen issue, so I hear. Sadly, I have had this issue with both SAFC2 and the Neo. I had this issue before the engine rebuild, but it seems to be at its worst right now. (Or I could be more aware of it...?)

She only runs lean at idle. I definitely have to do a little dialing in (I am learning how to tune the Neo, since I haven't been able to find anyone to professionally tune her for me) at WOT and cruising speeds, but it's much closer to where it should be.... almost perfect.
I have looked at the TPS, in terms of taking it out, removing the cover, checking for internal damage (as best I can) and making sure it's clocked properly. I am positive it is clocked properly. If it is working 100% perfectly... not too sure! I will look through my TSRM and see how to test it and make sure that's done, and I will also try messing with the AFM screw and fuel pressure once she is in closed loop and I'll try to figure out what Vf trim is.

Thanks so much guys!

Cars and Coffee will be this Saturday in case your up for it, there is also a Mk3 Supra at a local junk yard in case you need some parts off of it.
I did hear that Miguel is coming down here. He's moving to Waco from what I've heard. SIV is awesome! I've been going since it started but I did miss last year because of an unfortunate incident. I'm planning on going again this year so if you end up deciding to go we could join Miguel and make it a small Supra caravan lol.

I went on that cruise and took some footage with my go pros. I still need to edit the footage and I'll post it on here soon so you guys can check it out

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
1988ma70supra;2093054 said:
Cars and Coffee will be this Saturday in case your up for it, there is also a Mk3 Supra at a local junk yard in case you need some parts off of it.
I did hear that Miguel is coming down here. He's moving to Waco from what I've heard. SIV is awesome! I've been going since it started but I did miss last year because of an unfortunate incident. I'm planning on going again this year so if you end up deciding to go we could join Miguel and make it a small Supra caravan lol.

I went on that cruise and took some footage with my go pros. I still need to edit the footage and I'll post it on here soon so you guys can check it out

yes yes YES. I was planning on going to SIV this year, but also planning on buying a house around the same time....... hmm.... may skip this year, depending on finances. But I love the caravan idea! I get to roll with 2 Miguels with supras. This is awesome. And Yep, Waco! Gives me a reason to check that place out.

I actually am going to try to make it to cars and coffee. Just have to figure out when and where... is Oak Hills Church correct? (I am not on Facebook so I can't see the postings, I guess...) 8am to.... ?? When do you guys normally go?

san supra;2093008 said:
I see the thread is back alive. Welcome Faye!

Hells yeah, thank you!

BTW, I will give you an update. After reading this thread the last time, I removed my AFM and drilled out the hole for the screw and got all stoked to fine tune the machine. So, I go start her up and she was running like the worst shit I have ever experienced. I read my Vf trim and it was whack all over the place. I got a little discouraged and left her there until today, when I swapped the actual meter piece, and now she is running back "normal" again. Which is still shitty, but not that bad. Once I get back from Cars and Coffee, I will mess around with her once more. I would love my second trip to cars and coffee to be in my Supra. Just so damn busy with life! :/

So, look for me with my VW.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Hey! Does anyone in the area happen to have a known good AFM that they wouldn't mind parting with for an evening??? I need to use one for testing purposes! I think that is my issue. Either that or my Apexi Neo. My AFM tests fine per TSRM, and my car acts differently when AFM is unplugged vs plugged in, but I threw an AFM code and my symptoms are so typical of an AFM gone bad, that I really want to try swapping it out before I mess with the Neo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I will be in Big Bend for the weekend, but back on Tuesday. Feel free to contact me at (503) 421-5295

Thanks!!
Faye

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Alright, so I just got a new (to me....) AFM today, so I will be able to test it out and either rule it out or not. I am also pretty suspicious of my wiring. I cut back the wire loom and there are many sections where the shielding had broken apart exposing the bare wires. The wires really do not look that healthy with their blueish-greenish sheen. (yummy)

I recently saw an HKS VPC listed for sale and that got me super curious.... one of the only ways in which I feel the 1JZ is superior to my 7M is the MAP sensor.... augh how I would LOVE to ditch my AFM for a MAP sensor! ..... this seems to be the answer to my problem!!! The only thing is.... it seems like super, super old technology. I can't really find much information on it. I have seen a couple threads where people are searching for help with wiring it in with an SAFC2 (which I used to have, loved, and miss terribly!) but I have the Apexi Neo. Not a huge difference, but I haven't seen anyone use these 2 in conjunction.

Does anyone have any experience with the VPC??

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
I like to buy multiples of the same item's it seems. Anyone want injector o-rings from drift motion or a new cps connector? free

Last edited:

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
I will be leading a route 66 cruise for Supras in Vegas 2023, heading up to Austin and picking up people there, then Waco, Dallas, and meeting up with the Driveway labs cruise from the East Coast. Should be a pretty decent sized cruise from the interest we have had so far.

I have no clue what I will be driving out there, but hopefully it's the mk3. Project is taking forever, mostly due to my terrible OCD and lack of time and money haha.